Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Ski in Ski out Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Have just returned from our half term trip to Hinterglemm, so now need to start planning next year! We've now done Saalbach Hinterglemm for three years and would like to try somewhere different next year (though still Austria) and would be really grateful for any recommendations.

We enjoy a mixture of blues/reds and a few blacks - don't do ski school, just like to ski all day. Would love something similar to the Ski Circus of Saalbach as we don't want to do the same runs every day. Although we will most probably drive again, husband doesn't want to drive while we're there, so our priority is a ski in ski out hotel that also has four bed rooms available. The last two years we've stayed at the Ellmauhof in Hinterglemm, which only involved walking a couple of yards (ideal for me!) at both ends of the day. We're not fussed about apres ski - happy to just have our evening meal, have a quiet drink and go to bed.

Thanks once again for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbuhel has hotels/pensions to and from which you can ski. The Pension Hinterseer, for example, is about 25 yards from the piste, and there are other, larger, hotels as close or closer.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-02-08 12:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sk8girl, Zauchensee. A very compact resort with most being allowed to give the description of virtually ski in/lift out. Ski links with Flachauwinkle and a short free bus ride to Flachau/Wagrain, Altenmarkt/Radstadt, and much of the Ski Amade. A very modern feel to the resort both lift wise and hotels. Looked quite posh in fact. Not sure about night life though. Base camp is at 1350m so a fair bit higher than some resorts.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 27-02-08 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Places that spring to mind as having a nice big ski area with ski in and out accommodation are:

Obertauern - ski circus a bit like Saalbach but slightly smaller, high alti/reliable snow, just over an hour from Salzburg, plenty of hotels and apartments next to the skiing. Quite a lively place althugh not 'traditional' in style like Saalbach

Lech - kind of ski circus too, lots of terrain, ski in/out accom, especially in Oberlech, but it is expensive!

Ischgl - lots of good quality accom, snowsure, massive area with loads of terrain (but not a 'circus' as such), also pricey, although not as much as Lech

richmond is right Kitz has hotels and pensions right by the slopes (although also a lot quite a long way from the slopes, so choose carefully!), as does Zell Am See, Obergurgl, Mayrhofen you can't ski back to the town but you can stay close to the gondola, Schladming has accom right by the Planai gondola, and many more.

As a slightly less 'obvious' option, check out Fiss and Serfaus (both part of the same area). I've not been there myself yet, but have recently read some great reports about it and am really keen to go there, and it looks like it has slopeside accom in Fiss particularly. Big ski area, good snow record, and I would imagine not over-run with brits (yet!). Looking at your requirements, I would give it some serious consideration.

D
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd second Obertauern, having just returned from there earlier this year. Previous reports can be found here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=479558 - do a search and you'll find other threads on the resort. Hotel Schneider ideal for lovely meals and a nice bar & ski in/out. And a great swimming pool and whirlpool Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy,

Please could we keep trade secrets. Obertauern is rubbish, slow (and freezing cold) chair lifts, not much snow. The only decent places to ski are the 3 Valleys, Espace Killy, La Plagne, Les Arcs, and not forgetting Courcheval.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
truffaut, whoops! Embarassed Embarassed You're right of course - I was just trying to keep them away from all those good resorts in France and offload them onto some small crappy low-lying Austrian place Madeye-Smiley

Perhaps we could refer to Obertauern in future as resort H? That should put people off the track nicely Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech.

Obergurgl.

Obertauern.

Ischgl.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
agree with truffaut... trade secrets should not be divulged. Vive la France.... its possibly the greatest place on earth to ski, eat, drink and be merry. Things like beer, ski passes, ski hire and mountain restaurants are really really really really cheap when u get there. You get wonderful oppotunities to fully immerse yourself in the "real France" when you visit these "off the beaten track" resorts truffaut refers to in his post, and the ESF instructors are brilliant with novice one week a season English skiers... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for France. It really is the only place to ski. Everywhere else is too low and there won't be any snow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We love Saalbach-Hinterglemm too (Have stayed at the Lengauerhof in Lengau loads of times), but have you thought about the Italian Dolomites? Very Austrian in character, simialr prices and the Sella Ronda is a massive area - much quieter and cheaper than the Three Valleys. We've just had a great week in Arabba staying at the Hotel Alpenrose (booked through Colletts Holidays). The hotel was fantastic, ski-in ski-out with lovely rooms and great food). Fly cheap to Venice and let Colletts do the rest for you. Hope this recommendation helps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obertauern is truely Awful. Inconvenient, expensive, not at all lively,but it does have an excellent piste map.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having just come back from "Resort H", I can definitely say it's well worth not visiting. It's a long long transfer from the airport, all the accommodation is not ski-in ski-out, it's very expensive, dull as ditchwater for apres, particularly awful at the Lurzeralm (definitely can't recommend that) and the Gruber Stadl is even worse. Not to mention the Austrians who do not share an English sense of humour.

In fact I've already arranged to not go there again next year.

wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Supersonic, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sounds very accurate. We're not going there again next January either.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not going again to resort H the third or fourth week of next Jan.
snow report
I was in Obergurgl 2 weeks ago wasn't great but that was partly due to poor snow. Thought the ski area was a bit small and boring - didn't like the fact you had to get a 10 min gondola to the Hochgurgl area. Good, lifts though - think all the chairs were covered and the new hochgurgl gondola has heated steats. The town itself is small with not alot going on. For the money, I don't think it was worth it. That's just my thoughts, it could be good for you.

Did Obertaurn last year in similarly poor snow conditions, but I prefered the layout of the ski area.

Why are you keen on staying in Austria?
ski holidays
Resort H is expensive, packed pistes full of German school children, night life poor, snow conditions patchy at best....ice at worst.... Umbrella bar noisy, wasnt at all impressed with apres ski.....poor compared to most resorts in Austria. Views not up to much... and no, we wouldnt go there again. Our hotel wasnt even ski in, ski out.
snow report
truffaut, yep, agree with all, so have to go back again for 3rd time next year to see if things have improved... wink
latest report
Thanks guys. We're seriously considering Obertauern. Just one concern that one member of our group has is that the runs all seem very short.

Anyone know what Obertauern is likely to be like during half term week as we have to go that week? This year's trip to Hinterglemm was our first half term holiday, having always been in January before. We were pleasantly surprised that the slopes were reasonably quiet - my biggest fear about going half term week was that it would be really busy.

Quote:

Why are you keen on staying in Austria?

Fergus, we've always gone to Austria - I love the country and as I can speak the language pretty fluently I feel quite at home there! Also, general opinion appears to be avoid France half term week!
snow report
sk8girl, well there aren't really any long long runs, but we never found that a problem. Plenty of opportunities for off-piste if they're into that. Not that many TOs go to Obertauern, with not many hotels, so I wouldn't have thought the UK half-term would have made that much of a difference. I guess look to see when Fasching (sp?) week is?

Whoops there I go again! Embarassed Sorry, all the runs are extremely short & half-term will be busier than La Plagne mid-Feb. Ah, that's better wink Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Fruity, I picked up the oh so subtle irony in the reports of others but no sure about yours. Was it so bad for you that you're going to go back because you can't believe it could be so bad again? wink Or were you serious? Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
kewhoward, I don't think she was serious - but she did it very convincingly! Very Happy The thing that really gave it away was
Quote:
snow conditions patchy at best....ice at worst
snow report
cathy, Thanks Cathy - we're looking at "H" for next year - but I won't tell anybody.... snowHead
snow conditions
kewhoward, I do irony quite well dont I....... we loved it....but dont tell anyone else. Thats betwn me and you. OK? Its my fav. place.......shame we arent off there tomorrow but the bank acct dictated somewhere cheaper this year Sad Sad Sad We are off to Gatwick at 3am. Just to watch everyone else fly off, of course. snowHead Toofy Grin
latest report
We are going back to "H" again next year too
Cant belive it could be any worse than the last six times !!
They have even updated the maps so they are of the same poor standard as everything else wink
ski holidays
We're going to give "H" a go next year - just to see for ourselves just how bad it is of course wink

Just need to find some accommodation now. I have enquired at the Hotel Schneider but they are already fully booked for that week. Any other recommendations would be gratefully received. We're looking for a half board hotel that has four bed rooms available and where we can ski directly on and off the circus. Thanks once again.
ski holidays
We have used this place a few times
Booked it again for next year as it is so grim wink
http://www.hotel-steiner.at/
ski holidays
You know, I might just have to check out this resort H just to see how awful it really is!

There again, I don't think I'd want to waste my hard-earned on it!

I think I'll leave you to it and go to France, where the locals are so much nicer! wink Laughing snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are the hotels in resort H really ski in/ski out? Most of them look like ski in, then carry skis and slog it to the nearest gondola.
snow report
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Wagner or Hotel Gamsleiten?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy