Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting Skiing - Buy Skis or Not??

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking of starting skiing, should I buy my skis and boots straight away to save rental costs?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, absolutely - some great bargains on ebay, make sure the colours match your jacket
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, you'll need a pair for the piste and a pair for powder, and probably a touring pair as well. You'll also need a quiver to carry them in. Touring boots are a worthwhile investment, too. don't forget the helmet!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, would that mean I need a special roof rack for my car though?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, reckless, reckless. A top box is the minimum requirement, but a trailer is really the way to go. Disappointed to learn that you won't be travelling by train, though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No need to buy or rent skis. Just get to a resort and pick up a pair. There are always lots to choose from piled high outside cafes and restaurants. I've never failed to get a decent pair to fit and sometimes the colours match.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Halfhand Laughing Laughing Laughing So wrong but Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand, I have seen pictures of resorts with skis just laying on the floor every where, so I assume it must be like that 'bike share' thing in Amsterdam where you just hire a bike and you can use any other bike you see?? this is useful because I could then match & mix skis depending on which colour jacket I am wearing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops. Good idea. I've only got one ski jacket (fetching little number though it is) but my sunglasses have interchangeable lenses. So when the light flattens now I will not only be able to change my lenses from black to orange but my skis as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
I was thinking of starting skiing, should I buy my skis and boots straight away to save rental costs?

Funnly enough I'm thinking of taking up boarding to complement my anti-social tendencies; should I hire or buy or will any old plank and a couple of tins of spray paint do the trick? Blush wink

R U Serious ( to quote JM!) ????
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just buy some fat enough skis and you can save on the boots and bindings bit by mounting your flows or whatever to them.

Someone must have done this by now. I reckon it wouldn't be too bad with stiff enough boots - say Malamutes with a decently laterally stiff binding. Tib fib fracture risk might be high though
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, I just happen to have some planks for sale . . . . really Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I was thinking of starting skiing

Go on then, try it. Or are you chicken?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking of starting skiing

Go on then, try it. Or are you chicken?

Who are you calling chicken, lizzard?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
how much do skis and boots cost to buy compared to renting them?
ski holidays
And who are you calling a lizzard, fox?
ski holidays
also should i wear a helmet as a learner skiier? what are the chances of injury? I am now worried because Lizzard thinks I am a chicken so maybe it is dangerous Shocked
snow report
Well I wore my helmet today (brownie points from the anally retentive safety types).....

........ but I had lots of music in it thanks to my new TuneUps! Laughing (deduct all brownie points earned plus a few for good measure).
ski holidays
are they on-piste or off-piste tune-ups? Will they be good as all round tune-ups? Puzzled
ski holidays
rayscoops, I've got two snowboards with alpine bindings on that you can have. That would be a much easier transfer for you from snowboarder to skier.
snow conditions
halfhand, I used tham while walking back from the lift this afternoon- does that count as off piste?
latest report
parlor, but do I nead a lot for snow to use them, I am sure I read somewhere that ths is only an average season? so will there be enough snow? and can I use alpine bindings in America? sorry so many questions but I am a newbie at al of this
ski holidays
I am really confused now. I have just checked some skis on Ebay and they had some being marketed that were tele-scopic or something. They also had 'duo tip' or something too - surely all skis have a tip each?? this is not as straight forward as I thought Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops, Just for a (far too long Confused ) moment . . . I thought you weren't taking the p¡ss rolling eyes
ski holidays
rayscoops, Seriously, buy a helmet, then buy boots, then buy skis. If you can afford it, buy them all. It's nice having your own gear, but not necessary. If you ski 3+ weeks a year you'll save money, and time.
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
rayscoops, Seriously

That may be where you're making your error.
ski holidays
Quote:

Seriously, buy a helmet, then buy boots, then buy skis

That's the daftest piece of advice I've heard in ages. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Lizzard - I have to agree.

Buy 100mm waist skis first, so you can look steezy wandering about the bars of courchevel without the inconvenience of having to clump about in ski boots. After you've got the feel of the resort style and this seasons colours, then buy boots for that 'apres' look (at this stage you may also benefit from poles as well - go wild, accesorize) and ONLY THEN should you buy a helmet, in case your boots cause you to slip on ice on the way to the bar.

If you have any cash left over and fancy giving skiing whirl you simply need to add bindings to the ensemble and you're good to go Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having owned skis for the last 20 years, this current pair will be my last. It's far more economic to rent abroad now and over the last 5 years or so the quality of rental skis has improved dramatically. Assume one buys a pair of skis / bindings for £350. One then has the cost of transporting them abroad on cheap (?) airlines (if one flies). Two trips * £30 each. Then there's the servicing costs, again two lots of, say, £15. Over 5 years that adds up to a total cost of £800. If one rents, you can get really good skis for about £70 for a week. Multiply by 10 ski trips and that's £700. There's also the less tangible benefits like the latest skis every year, multiple services during the week, swapping skis for the conditions or style of skiing if it differs during the holiday and not having to lug them around everywhere. I love buying toys as much as the next person but I just don't think it's worth it any more. If you drive over to where you ski or manage to avoid the charge of transporting them on a plane then fair enough but for me, once this pair get a bit tired, that's it for me.
snow report
rolling eyes
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
Having owned skis for the last 20 years, this current pair will be my last. .

You give yourself away a bit there -no reference to current quiver wink .

FWIW I agree for the casual holiday skier who has to pay airline ski carraige I can see few definitive benefits in owning.
snow report
Someone needs to give an honest answer.
If you are just looking to try skiing for the first time, rent everything.
If you like it, and intend to do more, then buy boots first, and get them fitted properly from a boot fitter at a ski resort (ask some locals for a decent boot fitter)
Rent everything else, until you have a bit more experience, and work out what kind of skis you like, what kind of skiing you like etc.... then buy skis that suit YOU.
If you only ski 1 week a year, I still say its not worth buying skis(new anyway). By renting each year, you get to ski the latest and greatest skis, without the hassle of having to wax and tune them. You also get the freedom of using different skis depending on the snow conditions.
snow conditions
wbsr, OP was a troll I suspect wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy