Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I carry my skis...? No, really...

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I'm a skier. I have been for years. I can carry my alpine skis...

...but how the hell do you carry a pair of telemark skis and a pair of poles with any style whatsoever? I had to resort to asking MrsPhillipStanton to carry my poles at the weekend. Embarassed

So, serious question...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A quick solution would be to get some real bindings stuck on there.

In summary beginning to ski with fixed heels would sort all your problems.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
velcro?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, Ignore Mr Grumpy aka Rossfra8 wink
On my Telemark skis (with Skyhoy bindings and integral brakes) I just put the skis base to base as usual. To avoid the lower ski's binding dropping down (which isn't a problem anyway) I use a standard velcro ski strap wrapped round both skis.[edit - abc beat me to it!]
If you are using cable bindings without integral brakes and put the skis base to base then I can see that the two skis may not stay aligned unless you were to use say two velcro straps - one towards the front and one to the rear.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-02-08 22:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a proper tele-er you'll also be sporting an Alpaca hat as well. The 2 dangly bits hanging off each side are for hanging skis on - problem solved.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier! Shocked

Joke aside, if you're actually going touring, you'd be having a backpack with avi gears inside. You could then carry the skis in the carrying loops of the backpack as they're designed for...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
On my Telemark skis (with Skyhoy bindings and integral brakes)

Whoa, blast from the past. On Fischer Telepathics by any chance?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy a Ski Tote wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, since this thread exists - why should alpine skis be carried tails up over the shoulder with the entire binding in front of the shoulder? A guide insisted that I carry my skis that way after seeing me carrying them tips up to the back with my shoulder between the front & back bindings - but I found his way rather destabilising, because so much of the weight was in front of me. Isn't the most important thing to carry them without knocking someone out, however that might be? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
velcro?

I'm no expert, but surely it'll affect my skis' performance if I put velcro on the bases Puzzled
FenlandSkier wrote:
As a proper tele-er you'll also be sporting an Alpaca hat...

Clearly a "proper" tele-er would "grow" a lama, shear it, spin the wool, dye it and knit the hat. Being fully commited to "the cause" I'm really just looking for stop-gap solution here...
spyderjon wrote:
Buy a Ski Tote wink

...but, err, not one that makes me look any more like the &^*% that I am... (thank-you very much spyderjon wink)
abc wrote:
...you'd be having a backpack with avi gears inside...

...maybe a tad too knarly for the green / blue terrain I currently inhabit. No. Tell a lie. I went down a red by accident yesterday. Scared myself something rotten.

In all seriousness, are velcro straps my only way out? I ask because I manage to keep them for, well, seconds after putting them in my pockets...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tips to the front, with the binding behind you. (For conventional skis)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I went down a red by accident yesterday. Scared myself something rotten.

I haven't gone beyond the nursery slope yet. But I found I could parallel in the tele gear with a lot more control and stability. Nor do the heals break loose. So if I got stuck on something scary, I'd try parallel...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Teles should be carried the same way as alpines but a sneaky velcro strap helps considerably in the not looking like a total gaper until you get them on your feet.

Otherwise its cool to squeeze them together with a couple of fingers and carry them like they don't weigh anything which is almost true without the hostage plates and heavy alpine bindings of regular skis wink

You'll also find that the tassle on your alpaca hat offers counterbalance to any instabilities in your ski carrying technique.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, we have done this one recently in the piste forum - I think. There are lots of good reasons.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton,

Velcro strap is the answer. Instead of putting it in my pocket (and loosing it) I rap the strap around my rucksack strap.. that way it's handy when I need it.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton,

Yes, strap the tips and then as usual...defo need a cool hat so the scandis will ackowledge you. They like to think you are one of their own as you steam past them on a steep pitch...

This is how my tele-buddy does it anyway... Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

...maybe a tad too knarly for the green / blue terrain I currently inhabit. No. Tell a lie. I went down a red by accident yesterday. Scared myself something rotten.

I find anything I used to ski on my alpine kit I can ski on tele kit, as I when it gets hard I just do parallel turns. I was in Les2alpes a couple of weeks ago and skiied every black on my tele kit no problems, just did most of them with parallel turns. It only gets dificult if you meet another tele skier on one of those hard runs and he does a whole series of beautiful linked tele turns down the steep mogul field, or whatever, and you then feel commited to try and emulate him. It can then go horribly wrong Smile.

I do find I'm somewhat slower than my alpine equiped friends, if I actually do tele turns, and i find it harder on my thighs when I do a lot of tele turns. With practice I'm getting a lot better at teleing on steeper stuff, particularly if its been pisted. Still can't manage to teles in bumps much, and often if I'm teleing on steep pisted runs I build up too much speed and put in a couple of parallel turns to control my speed. When I first started teleing I used to fall over a lot when doing tele turns (but not parallels). I'm now getting a lot better and hardly ever fall over - which probably means I'm not pushing enough and should start attempting to tele down the bumps runs.

Need more practice off-piste, spring snow I'm fine on, particularly if its nice and hard, but not icy. Not had much powder to practice on, but have been OK in my few goes but it wasn't deep. Breakable crust I'm useless at, usually end up going slow and doing stem turns.

Carrying my skis I just stick em over my shoulder with the bases together. If I'm walking any distance I'll velcro the tips together with a ski tie. AT least tele boots are easy to walk in and have a vibram sole for grip.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
vetski, we have done this one recently in the piste forum - I think. There are lots of good reasons.

Actually, I didn't see any genuine reasons given as to why it should be tips down rather than tips up.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Actually, I didn't see any genuine reasons given as to why it should be tips down rather than tips up.

with tips down you don't have to hold on to the skis with your hand. you can just have them resting against your forearm leaving the hand free to hold your poles
ski holidays
Quote:
why should alpine skis be carried tails up over the shoulder with the entire binding in front of the shoulder

Puzzled I have my bindings behind my shoulder. It wouldn't work, otherwise.
latest report
abc and Dave Horsley - I probably should have said that I tried telemarking down the red - rather than reverting to alpine. Actually, even when I admitted defeat and went back to alpine it was still pretty scary as the piste was a load of slushy bumps - great fun normally, but you need the reactions of a cat not to end up face planting.
snow report
Arno, that's exactly how I carry with tips up - skis resting against forearm, poles in same hand. I read the whole thread on The Piste, and like alex_heney, I thought the various arguments very unconvincing. Will practice some more at MSB, but am coming to the view that there's no "right way", any more than there's a "right way" to hold a steering wheel - as long as one is in control, that's all that counts.

pam w, maybe that's why I found it so very unstable!
snow report
I've never looked at a pair of telemark bindings on skis so please excuse the question - but why are they any more difficult to carry than oridinary skis with alpine (is that the right term?) bindings?
latest report
Megamum, no brakes to lock the skis together & lack of height to act as a 'stop' on the shoulder.
snow report
spyderjon, Oh.......I definitely wasn't aware of either of those - makes this thread make a bit more sense now.
ski holidays
we tried wrapping the leashes round the skis and using them to keep the skis/bindings together/from flapping about- it works
snow report
of course Mrs Eds technique is to get me to do it- from her point of view this is by far the best way of carrying skis.

For Xmas I bought her a Dakine rucksack with a pull out ski carrier- when informed of this her response was to say that unless she found a 6 foot ski instructor inside she couldn't really see how it was going to work!
latest report
Megamum,

Some tele binding can have brakes (7TMs and Voile release plates for example), but they don't drop down when you remove the boot from the binding like an alpine binding. If the binding releases correctly the boot releases together with a bit of the binding allowing the brakes to drop down. As spyderjon, has said this means that the skis don't stay together quite as easily as an alpine ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy