Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best driving route to near Biarritz from Leeds?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I call on snowheads for help, my wife and I are going around in circles trying to sort it out!

Dilemma is for out summer holiday in August of this year.

1. Do we go Hull->Zeebrugge, then 1 night stay "somewhere" south of Paris, advantage is 1 hour drive from home, overnight on ferry, but then a long way to go in France

2. Dover->Calais, downside is much longer UK driver, similiar length French drive, but *much* cheaper crossings

3. Cherbourg or St Malo, still a long UK drive, but less on the French side. However with kids we are still assuming an overnight stop.

These are the KM according to google maps, however I have no experience of French roads, so am not sure which route takes us on the fastest roads.

Calais Moliets 1019km 9hrs 28mins
St Malo Moliets 680km 6hr 49mins
Cherbourg Moliets 879km 8hr 30mins
Zeebrugge Moliets 1036km 9hrs 49mins

Any help/experiences you have with similiar trips much appreciated!

Regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could sail to santander and drive back up over the pyrenees - can't help with driving though, I flew to toulouse and got the train Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plymouth/Roscoff. I have always been hideously sick on this crossing though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski,
I have driven both from Zeebrugge and Calais to near Biarritz. You can do them both in a day but it is quite a long day. The roads are generally good Autoroutes, but going around Paris can be slow. I have only been at the end of June/ beginning of July when the traffic has been quiet though. Driving back on Bastille weekend the queues south have looked horrific. I would check on the busy days for driving out of Paris before commiting to either of these routes. If you are going at a weekend when the Parisians take their holiday I would definately go via Normandy. Speaking to people at the same appartment this is quicker on the French side. Driving from Scotland I prefer to avoid driving through England where possible as I find the roads much busier than on the continentand would prefer the Zeebrugge route.

PS I looked at the Santander route and apart from being expensive it is not possible for a standard weekend to weekend holiday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy