Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breakable Crust

Poster: A snowHead
I see this phrase time and time again on this forum, but cannot stop thinking about a freshly cooked pork pie.

It is obviously a type of snow, but what is it?, and how do we ski it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With dificulty, especially on tele kit. At least for me that is.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a frozen hard layer on top of soft snow below which can break with your weight.

Quote:
Crust = a hard snow surface lying upon a softer layer; crust may be formed by sun, rain or wind, and is described as breakable crust or unbreakable crust, depending upon whether it will break under the weight of a turning skier.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-02-08 15:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, it's an icy layer which forms on the surface of unpisted snow. Can be formed by wind, exposure to the sun, temperaure variations, etc. It's called breakable because sometimes it doesn't support a skiers weight and they break through into the softer snow underneath. It's impossible to ski Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman,

What is it?

Snow with a thin crust on the surface, then softer snow, possibly with a gap, beneath.

How do we ski it?

Well, I ski it gently - I have a lot less trouble now that I ski on Missions. If I still think I am likely to break through, I tend to stem the turns. Perhaps best avoided, but that is not always possible - so one has to learn the techniques to cope.

Bad news if you break through.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-02-08 15:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I see this phrase time and time again on this forum, but cannot stop thinking about a freshly cooked pork pie.

I think that says more about you, than it does about the snow conditions Laughing

MMMmmm Pie!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use the term for snow that the surface supports your weight in some circumstances but not others is you can often scooot along the top when your weight is evenly balanced but if you load one ski too much that ski crashes through and you fall.
I can't ski it and flounder. Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, By the descriptions above I think I shall stick to my fresh growler Very Happy

Sounds like going for a walk on a frozen pond Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there are many different types of breakable crust, the easiest to ski is where you constantly break through, and fairly easily, so you know what's going to happen and you either stem turn or get some speed and crank high speed carves, which lets the skis lift.

The worst is where you sink through a long way. and intermittantly, ie skiing along fine then suddenly, wham your ski breaks through!

Good vid here, showing one technique for the easier type of "crust"

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips/online-tips_Freeride_Wind-Affected-Snow.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People who haven't had too many pies - can try and get away with lower edge angles and gentle movements smearing their turns so they don't break through.

People who had a couple too many pies - will probably break through and should be more aggressive getting their skis out of the snow at the end of each turn and breaking into the next turn.

People who ate all the pies are stuffed.

You know who you are Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, I can think of two on this thread Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:

Isn't that stating the obvious? Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:

You know who you are Laughing

You've been reading my signature Toofy Grin

178 Mission skis do seem to help - I guess it's their large footprint for supporting my weight.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowboards!

Put one on each foot...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, I do. They are called Missions. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Exactly, achilles!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Best to use the little know Fred Flinstones twinkle toe technique while removing as much excess wait as possible (Goats and various other animals from you back pack) Helmets Toofy Grin , Ipods Toofy Grin and gliding gracefully over the top, Sadly the only time I have seen grace is after amazing on an album cover so I normally end up in digging out of this and sweating like a sweaty man in a sauna Embarassed
snow report
DB good definition and duly added to the glossary of terms Toofy Grin

Crust - A hard snow surface lying upon a softer layer; crust may be formed by sun, rain or wind, and is described as breakable crust or unbreakable crust, depending upon whether it will break under the weight of a turning skier.
snow report
achilles wrote:

178 Mission skis do seem to help

183s even more so. Although I do quite fancy a pair of Seths in 189 (or bigger if they do them).
snow report
Kramer, I am sure you are right - but I think I would struggle to cope with 183s all round the mountain - partly because a shorter ski is more nimble, but partly also because I am less fit than you. Embarassed
ski holidays
I accept that sometimes you have to ski breakable crust to get to the good stuff, and have a few times managed to do so with something almost approaching adequacy. Given my weight (another pie-eater Embarassed ), speed seems to be the essence. Hate stopping in it.

What I do not understand is that some people actually seem to relish the idea of skiing it.
ski holidays
Generally I find that rather than ski the breakable crust to get to the good stuff, the breakable crust tends to come towards the bottom of the good stuff. Just when you're completely knackered. rolling eyes
ski holidays
or it resides between the powder and the spring snow
i'm kind of looking forward to skiing some this year because in my head i have got it sussed. remains to be seen whether my body does what my head tells it to...
snow report
Arno,

Don't worry...there ain't gonna be any...we have dialed into the snow computer and it will dump on Tuesday Laughing
snow conditions
JT, top to bottom POW certainly would suit me Cool
snow conditions
Dammit, I thought this was going to be about nice fresh bread. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Dave Horsley, It's called riding that back ski more, way knarly git back style tele skiing. Just end up praying it's not that breakable crust that also slices and dices with ease. Shock
snow report
Simple definition - if I ski it perfectly then it's beautiful powder. If I fall over then it's breakable crust.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, That may work for you, but for me it's a case of 'If I ski it perfectly then please don't wake me up. If I fall over it's snow' Embarassed
ski holidays
I don't have a problem with it, I just use my Head, Helmetted of course. Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
AxsMan, By the descriptions above I think I shall stick to my fresh growler Very Happy

Sounds like going for a walk on a frozen pond Shocked

I think you will find that you have skied these conditions loads of times, but your skis were probably under the crust though Laughing and you never noticed the difference Shocked
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
I don't have a problem with it, I just use my Head, Helmetted of course. Laughing

Yes, but the discussion was about skiing Laughing NehNeh
latest report
Kramer wrote:
Simple definition - if I ski it perfectly then it's beautiful powder. If I fall over then it's breakable crust.

i will add that definition to the glossary as well, sounds perfect to me Laughing
latest report
Best way I find of skiing Breakable Crust is to use Compression Turns, so at the point of edge change the legs are retracted, same technique as Moguls.
Being centred is really important too as you will get thrown around fore and aft.
snow report
Why is this not in Bend Ze Knees?
And why has Arno, informed us that 'i'm kind of looking forward to skiing some this year because in my head i have got it sussed.' but not actually told anyone of his secret technique? Puzzled Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Why is this not in Bend Ze Knees?

because it isnt cool to post in BZK's as that is only for geeks and technoheads.. The mafia has decreed it a no go zone...
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
And why has Arno, informed us that 'i'm kind of looking forward to skiing some this year because in my head i have got it sussed.'

Because he is possessed by the spirit of an American teenager who died in ca 1975?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy