Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Improving deep dowder technique!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I understand the basics such a equal pressure, one uniform platform and the bending and release in and out of the turn to give buoyancy and spring for the turn.

My question is whether it is better for developing technique to use mid waist skis such as 78-88 rather than big fatties 100+. I have both and I have been lazier with my fatter skis because of the natural float they bring.

I'll add that once technique is very good to take steeper lines, jumps and deep powder possibly fatties bring an extra dimension but .... the question is more about developing good basic technique.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mate use what ever you take, don't over think it and mix it up, i got 63mm, 81mm of my own and help my self to our test pool. The snow conditions always offer surprises so you never have the perfect tool. Just have fun, technique will come with either ski in mixed conditions. All this chat about 'Laziness' and 'Improving technique' is tosh, enjoy your skiing, feel it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the answer's in your question. It probably will be a bit more testing if you're using relatively skinny skis so doing so will force your technique to be better. OTOH, if you're not skiing every day, why not just choose whatever you'll have the most fun on in the time available?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, Just a thought, how many 'Deep Powder' days do you get? Enough to spend the day faffing about on narrow skis to improve your technique? Or just enough to pull out the big knives, go charging around happily not worried about technique. I guess you're thinking about your touring and the lighter narrower set up you'll be using when hunting good snow. If the latter, go touring more, you'll learn to use the kit. If i can go from a WC race boot and a pair of 190cm 100mm skis to skiing a pair of flexible stilettos on foam core pencil skis, anyone can believe me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if it's touring you're worried about, i'd work on your breakable crust technique Skullie
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SmallZOOKEPER The number of powder days is relative to the location of your resort, For example Jackson Hold Pack a snorkel and strap a snowboard to each foot Very Happy Due to the total lack of other people in your vicinity one does not have to car about how one looks (God I sound like the queen) Very Happy ,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, Cheers, i have some pills that could help you. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with SMALLZOOKEEPER on the principle that skiing is for having fun.

I have only one pair of own skis - they are 103mm underfoot and 183cm long. I can ski them competently on the piste but they are not that fun unless the speed is tremendous and my turns rather superG-like. I can turn them very short and tight on piste, if I have to, but I prefer not to.

Anytime I am off the beaten track, they are fun, fast and I ski a lot better than I used to be that short or long turns, in what ever conditions I am facing. I see absolutely no reason to try to descend a crusty or overly heavy soft snow with a pair a racing stock carvers, I will rent those if I want to spend my day on the piste. For me, days of wondering are over. I like what I have and I prefer to go with the feel.

snowHead Do not worry, use what ever makes you happy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy