Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll/Westendorf - Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We would like to go back to a Ski Welt village next Feb, but restricted to half term. Been to Ellmau but never to Soll or Westendorf, so any advice on resort/accomodation appreciated. (very late)Thirty somethings with 8 year old daughter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that the link from Westendorf to the other Ski Welt villages is not as good as between the other villages themselves, although a new lift appears to be on the cards for next season which would improve that. Westendorf is a very pretty, gentle resort (on the hill, don't know about the village), ideal for first timers, 2nd weekers at a pinch, but anyone else would find it a bit small and lacking challenge, which makes the lack of a good connection a drawback. OTOH, Westendorf does have a sort of link to Kitzbuhel, although it involves a short bus ride (why it's arranged it like that, I can't imagine). I've an idea that the main (only?) lift in Westendorf is a little way out of the town, so selection of hotel position could be important, especially with an 8 yo.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-02-08 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The gondola at Westendorf is a little way out of town (400m), but you can reach it via a short 4 man chair that comes straight out of the village centre. We've stayed at the Hotel Jakobwirtz in Westendorf and like it very much, it's on the central square in the village. We did our first ever ski holiday at the Hotel Teresiana, which is basic but serviceable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Soll - just been there for half term and surprisingly not terribly busy. lots of choice for accomodation and good friendly feel. Ski school good and kids ski school seems good too - and from Soll you can get anywhere over the mountains in a day. Bus to Westerndorf although a lift planned from Brixen to link in next year. Good ski garage at bottom of gondola and lifts in Soll so dont need to worry if accomodation is a walk away from garage - we like the 10 min warm up/down at either end of day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's news of the Brixen-Westendorf link:

http://www.skiwelt.at/index.php?l=en&flash=&s=&nID=0&detailID=1195296789__ID473ec8153d08e9.75044601

I think this is how the link will work:

Google Maps - with a line!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mikeh,
Hi, just read your note. We have skied Westerndorf three times as a large mixed ability family (always in early January). We stayed at The Hotel Schermer. Apart from being very comfortable, there is a full 'wellness' spa within the hotel. The food was excellent (4 courses each night). But the best thing for us was the 3pm-5pm 'snack' buffet that they laid on after skiing each day. It was really substantial and all included. Snow not so reliable as accomodation. The new link made a big difference to us last year, opened up much bigger area. If snow was up to it, would definately sneak a trip in at Easter (dont think it will be though). Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeh, the main lifts in both Soll and Westendorf are a bus ride or lift connection away, though from memory Soll is further (certainly always felt like it!)...but then you'll have experienced that in Ellmau, so I guess not a major problem. Soll is really the heart of the ski area, whereas from Westendorf you need to take a bus to Brixen (though as richmond says, you can technically get to Kitzbuhel).

Westendorf itself is probably a bit more like Ellmau than Soll; quite quiet and pretty (think it was voted prettiest alpine village at one point...not totally sure why though). Soll is more lively, and has more British visitors - that means it could be noisier in the evenings but also that there are probably lots of other english speaking lesson groups if that's what you're after.

So if you're after a quiet holiday with a not too much skiing then go Westendorf, if you're after as much skiing as possible (without wanting to try and get to Kitz!) then go for Soll. Something in the middle and you'll enjoy both Smile

Have a good time!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janeb wrote:
the 3pm-5pm 'snack' buffet

That's what I call a snack. Dinner must have been pretty impressive, if you had room for it.

The Westendorf - Kitzbuhel link is really just for novelty purposes. You can ski down from the top of Westendorf to the bottom of the lift, but then you have to take a bus to the bottom of Pengelstein to join the Kitzbuhel area (or you can presumably bus to Kitzbuhel itself), and vv on return. Unless you are very early risers, you will have relatively little time in Kitzbuhel. OK for one day to see what's going on, but not as a daily commute.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice - I think Soll is looking favourite from this. Mrs mikeh is still trying hard to find us some accomodation in Ellmau, but its not looking promising either full or ****** expensive. I cant believe that places are booked up already but I think everyones got the same 1/2 term week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go for Soll. Just got back from our 8th consecutive trip - two families, kids aged 13, 16, 16 & 17 now. We book accommodation only - first time we planned to cook for ourselves but then we found out what good value the food was so now we eat out all the time. This year, best venue in town was the Post and on the mountain, the Stocklalm. Village perfect for kids - safe, not too many distractions. Tourist board very helpful - may be able to put you onto one of the many families that take in B&B skiers. As for the skiing, being low means there's a risk but the linked towns spend a fortune on piste preparation and lift upgrades, to make the most of whatever snow they've got.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy