Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Skiing must"

Poster: A snowHead
According to the advices given at snowhead, there seems to be a fairly long list of "must" one shouldn't venture onto a piste without:

1) Helmets: -- one would be daf/crazy/no-brain NOT to wear one (though that point is still hotly debated)
2) Boots MUST be in hand luggage whenever allowed by airline/airport
3) Skis MUST have protection from road dirt while being transported on car roof
4) Skis must be carried on the shoulder tails up
5) Side-slipping -- Without which one is not to go beyond reds (or was it before venturing onto reds?)

I'm sure there're many more "skiing must" I missed...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-02-08 1:35; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just enjoy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc, Alchohol !! it's a must wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
2) Boots MUST be in hand luggage.

Why?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fergus, because abc thinks somebody may once have suggested it Toofy Grin

It isn't one I recall anybody ever suggesting, although there do seem to be quite a few who very much want to take their boots in hand luggage.

The other points he makes have all been suggested at some point, by somebody.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, (6) MUST not listen to well-meaning, enthusiastic-amateur, pedantic, hot debaters.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, not all airlines will allow you to carry boots in hand luggage - presumably because they can be used as a weapon? rolling eyes I long to see a headline "BA flight hijacked by terrorists who threatened flight crew with a pair of ski boots"! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You must have Oakley (or similar) goggles with inter-changeable lenses
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boots can not be in hand luggage at Luton/gva and various other airports Toofy Grin

Helmets when mentioned cause skiers civil war Toofy Grin

Snowbaoarders must all be killed Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fergus, Some people carry boots in hand luggage because they're worried about them getting delayed/lost in the hold baggage.

vetski, Some airlines don't allow boots in hand luggage because boot bags are a pain to fit into overhead lockers because they don't squash down.

I think it should be a personal choice Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, I'm adding a qualifier to number 2: Boots must be carried in hand luggage whenever allowed by airline/airport. Very Happy

(OP edited)

Remember, too, these are according to the ADVICE of other snowheads. And each carry a penalty if you choose to ignore them: or else, suffer (lost boots/demaged skis, etc.) Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, 6)Merino wool underwear (silk is for losers, but I can't remember why)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
7) If in Britain, boots/footbeds must be fettled by CEM. If in Europe, by small/large/nakedzookeeper.

8 ) If in Britain, skis should be serviced by Spyderjon. And you should stay and watch and learn so minor stuff can be done yourself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, given the size of some of the bags people get away with as hand luggage, I still don't see that the airlines should have a problem with boots as hand luggage. One woman on the way back from Vienna last weekend had a bag overhead that I could have packed for 2 weeks skiing - and I don't pack light!

abc, perhaps also add 9) The intention to participate in snowsports (which might get rid of the Eurotrash poseurs who stand around trying to look cool in outfits which should be illegal) and 10) The phone number of mountain rescue programmed into your phone (which I always mean to do but rarely manage - the road to hell etc etc)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FISH...

And anyone who flew to the US regularly and took connecting transfer flights would understand the boots in hand luggage bit. And yes you can get them in bags which fit the specification. I have never seen the point of bootbags. Awkward shape, don't hold enough, just make your boots more vulnerable to damage and increase the number of bags you have to get lost.

Haven't we got something better to discuss rather than restart every single argument simultaneously?
latest report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

Haven't we got something better to discuss rather than restart every single argument

We've got Megamum to do that Confused
snow conditions
11) (i think) i MUST store my skis/board in a vat of wax over the summer.. once solid the resulting VW beatle sized lump can be safely transported in hand luggage or on one of those nuclear train flasks..
snow report
boredsurfin, Meoowww wink Laughing
ski holidays
12) Must ski at La Rosiere
13) Must make big lists of what to take - a) on holiday b) each day
ski holidays
14) You MUST use a major TO to book your ski trip.
15) You MUST DIY all your ski trips.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-02-08 10:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
16) you MUST drink 5 gallons of water per hour
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, I thought it was just a joke/spoof thread. But like many spoofs it was so like the truth that people started to take it seriously. Or maybe it WAS serious and I misunderstood. Puzzled
latest report
17) you MUST go to the loo at least 5 times per hour rolling eyes
latest report
A serious one:
You MUST ski some of the less famous resorts. DOn't be blinkered by thinking you can only have a good time at a big name resort.
snow report
1Cool You MUST appreciate Wengen if you go there.
ski holidays
1Cool You MUST appreciate Wengen if you go there.
latest report
You MUST NOT have a beer at lunch time or listen to an MP3 player whilst on the slopes.
snow report
MUST take at least 3 ski holidays a year
plus
MUST go to the E0SB
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, Must get the train, even though it costs 3 times as much and takes 48 hours wink
snow report
must/must not take lots of lessons
snow conditions
If Driving across France you MUST have telepeage (yes really, you really really must, honest) Laughing
ski holidays
One essential piece of kit is: an envelope (for stretching)
snow conditions
Must always hire cars from the SWISS SIDE of Geneva airport (even if going to Canada).

Must always buy your snow chains at the Chambery hypermarket (even if going by train)
ski holidays
Must not drink Jagermister out of ski instructors boot Shocked

Must not have just one more Mutzig for the road

Must have one more Mutzig for the road Toofy Grin

Must dring Jagermister our of ski instructors boot Toofy Grin
latest report
You Must take the micky out of everyone you don't understand or disagree with Puzzled

wink
snow report
Trenmold, Laughing
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
uktrailmonster, given the size of some of the bags people get away with as hand luggage, I still don't see that the airlines should have a problem with boots as hand luggage. One woman on the way back from Vienna last weekend had a bag overhead that I could have packed for 2 weeks skiing - and I don't pack light!

I know what you mean. But those max sized hand luggage bags you often see are just thin enough to fit sideways in a 737 overhead locker. Even if they do completely fill the space allocated for the entire row of passengers. But boot bags with a couple of size 10s are just that bit too wide to fit either way round. Easily solved if you simply remove 1 boot and store it seperately. Also not a problem if you have small feet.
Anyway some airlines, especially long haul, don't mind you carrying them eg. Air Canada.
ski holidays
When reasoned argument fails, You MUST use emotional blackmail, absurd hypothetical situations, preaching and moralising to make your point wink

You MUST have an iPhone unless you play a lot of billiards Laughing
snow report
I am sick of people telling me I need an Iphone If I want my music and phone to be a seperate utilities who are you to tell me otherwise Toofy Grin

You must find a channel on your walkie talkies that will not be overrun wiht Germans / Russians
latest report
Oh yes, and you must always read into what is typed what you want to see is there Puzzled

wink

Also it is an absolute requirement to have a good sense of humor and keep it in tact under severe provocation Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 26-02-08 22:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy