Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

any cures for altitude sickness?

Poster: A snowHead
I know someone who gets ill often when at altitude even if the resort is at 1000m.
Basically anytime they eat, they get ill gor a good hour afterwards, sometimes it's fine, next time not.
Any cures? It's not proper altitude sickness like I imagine you'd get hiking in South America or something but pretty bad if all you want to do is tear up the mountain all day...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beach holiday?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
useful bunch Cool

seriously...any altitude pills or stuff like that?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, my wife suffers pretty badly from altitude sickness. The last trip she she did with me to VT, I ended up taking her down the valley just for a break. The best cure we found was for her to drink loads of fluids (water) and very little alcohol. It gets less accute as your body gets used to the altitude.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-02-08 15:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, no cures or pills but this thread has some info:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=809247&highlight=ams#809247
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, I think kiwi1 has hit it - if there is a problem, time helps cure it - trouble is, days of your holiday go. Sad

I used to have trouble sleeping in resort - I've been told that is a mild form of altitude sickness, and I now have sleeping pills prescribed - so drugs helped me. But feeling ill is another matter - maybe the sH medics will comment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have used a drug called Diamox when climbing at high altitude. Its a prescription drug developed for the treatment of glaucoma and some gps may not have heard of its use for altitude sickness. Its a difficult call as masking symptoms using drugs can have disastrous consequences. Also the altitudes experienced in the Alps should not require it and certainly not 1000m. Poor acclimatisation is often caused by impaired liver function your friend might want to talk to a doctor.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Originally they had a bout of it in some high ranges whilst trekking say at 4000m and it seems to come back when in the Alps at much lower altitudes now.
Seems slightly strange since I always thought it took days to get altitude sickness?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh...and it's only eating that causes it. No food, they feel fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lower resorts?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Seems slightly strange since I always thought it took days to get altitude sickness?

Not "days", usually a day (read: more than a few hours).

Quote:

Oh...and it's only eating that causes it. No food, they feel fine.

Eat less? (Seriously...)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, This thread discussed it a while back.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24627&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=altitude+sickness&start=0
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never heard of altitude sickness at 1000m. Nor have I heard of AS that only comes after mealtimes (til now that is!).

I do often get "altitude sickness" after a jug of red wine and several beers however. So def lay off the alcohol! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, drink more water.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about doing the trip by car, taking extra time on the outbound journey and staying 2-3 nights somewhere nice on the way, thus allowing time to acclimatise?
ski holidays
Quote:

What about doing the trip by car, taking extra time on the outbound journey and staying 2-3 nights somewhere nice on the way, thus allowing time to acclimatise?

That might not help, as the journey is mostly at a low altitude. Going to most ski resorts, you only start climbing towards the end of the journey. - you'd need to spend several days, creeping up the valley. It sounds like a question for a physician - as others have said, it is very unusual to have altitude sickness at 1000m and the symptoms don't sound typical. I would have thought that anyone who was severely affected at 1000m would also have problems with big/sudden atmospheric changes at sea level or maybe in planes.
latest report
why do you say this is altitude sickness?

as others have posted they should get the same effects during low pressure at sea level- sounds like a load of tosh
latest report
Medically altitude sicknss doesn't occur until one is really above 8000 feet (about 2400m) so I'm not sure what the posters above are suffering from. Is it possible to get AS psychosomatically ? I suppose so. Maybe it's the dry air. Certainly ensure you drink plenty of water and reduce caffeine and alcohol intake but I'm very doubtful as to whether this is what you think it is. I certainly wouldn't entertain using Diamox casually as this does have side effects. I've used it myself above 7000m and it sort of worked and I know other people that have used it above 6000m with success but one issue with it is that it's a diuretic (makes you lose water through peeing). There are also a variety of other side effects such as drowsiness and fatigue, paraesthesia especially in the extremeties, dizziness.
snow conditions
Is it possible to get sickness while above 2400m, eating, having a beer or so, and then moving down to 1000m?
Seems strange. They it's the same feeling as when above 4000m on a mountain in S.America.
Suppose it could just be a s simple as beer, local water supply, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy