Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burning Thighs

Poster: A snowHead
demos wrote:
I think the problem here is that we think that most people who go skiing are totally inactive the year, and just get interested in fitness a month before ski holidays. I really think it is strongly advisable to do general fitness training the WHOLE year (for your general health) and prior to the ski holidays some specific ski-strength-endurance exercises including further build up of balance and core strength.

In a perfect world I agree with you. But it's not a perfect world. I therefore wouldn't want to put anyone off skiing just because they think they are too unfit or skiing itself is too physically demanding. For a long time I did not do any physical exercise to support my skiing or any other kind of recreation, but I still enjoyed my skiing holidays and made progress with my ski technique.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
we think that most people who go skiing are totally inactive the year, and just get interested in fitness a month before ski holidays.

I disagree. I suspect the majority of people don't get interested in fitness before their ski holiday at all. Some of them may regret it, when on the slopes, others just sit down and have a beer, or go round the shops.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, too true. Actually, thanks to karate and a slight lessening in pie consumption, I am a little leaner and meaner than usual and i felt the benefit on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So you therefore think that it is:

- normal for occasional skiers not to do any fitness throughout the year
- that some of those inactives may or may not get interested in fitness shortly before ski holidays.

Also, rob@rar thinks that promoting healthy life and suggesting possible occasional skiers that they should indeed try to do some fitness generally, might put them off.

Well, I must disagree. I find it highly troubling that amongst this group, not only many may be or are physically inactive except for skiing but that the same people think that it would be too much to suggest to beginner skiers that shaping up before their first ski experience WILL make it more enjoyable. Shaping up generally makes life more enjoyable. You know it, why cannot we say that it would be even more so for skiing!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
demos wrote:
I find it highly troubling that amongst this group, not only many may be or are physically inactive except for skiing

Why? Of all the things in the world to be troubled about, other skiers' fitness levels is certainly way down my list, just below my own level of fitness.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
demos wrote:

- that some of those inactives may or may not get interested in fitness shortly before ski holidays.

Also, rob@rar thinks that promoting healthy life and suggesting possible occasional skiers that they should indeed try to do some fitness generally, might put them off.

Well, I must disagree. I find it highly troubling that amongst this group, not only many may be or are physically inactive except for skiing but that the same people think that it would be too much to suggest to beginner skiers that shaping up before their first ski experience WILL make it more enjoyable. Shaping up generally makes life more enjoyable. You know it, why cannot we say that it would be even more so for skiing!

I think that's the reality of the situation. I might not think this it's ideal, but that's the way it is. I've seen a lot of novice skiers this season and I'd guess that virtually none of them have done any fitness training before they started skiing, and I'm fairly certain that few do any systematic fitness training throughout the year. Does that mean that they should be told to "shape up and get serious, this is a sport you know?". No, of course it doesn't - that would be the quickest way to put them off skiing. They should be encouraged to ski no matter how fit/unfit they are (assuming no significant medical condition) and maybe in future years they will realise that it would be beneficial to their skiing (and their life generally) to do a bit of fitness training.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It only takes one trip with no preparation whatsoever (usually your very first) to disabuse you of the notion that no preparation is a good idea Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 28-02-08 15:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now we agree on something. I think everyone should ski or give it a try (or honestly, I actually think that they shouldn't but this is only to ensure that the moutains survive for snowHead s).

I still think that they should be told at the very beginning that going forward, they will learn better, more and have more fun, if they also keep themselves in good shape. I can't see why it is so bad to tell lazy people that they should not be so lazy for their own good. Well, I know I am little fascist...

Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
demos wrote:
I can't see why it is so bad to tell lazy people that they should not be so lazy for their own good.

How do we know what their own good is? They may prefer being lazy and crap at skiing to being fit and less crap.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
demos wrote:
I still think that they should be told at the very beginning that going forward, they will learn better, more and have more fun, if they also keep themselves in good shape.

I agree, that's good advice. But there is a world of difference between giving that advice and telling a skier that they must do fitness training because it is required for skiing. That latter point is simply untrue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond wrote:
demos wrote:
I can't see why it is so bad to tell lazy people that they should not be so lazy for their own good.

How do we know what their own good is? They may prefer being lazy and crap at skiing to being fit and less crap.

Trust me, we know.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
demos wrote:
Trust me, we know.

What are your views on whether people should be made to wear helmets?

Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
demos wrote:
richmond wrote:
demos wrote:

Trust me, we know.

Fair enough.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
demos wrote:
Trust me, we know.

What are your views on whether people should be made to wear helmets?

Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Of course it's normal. Hardly anyone would disagree that it's normal. Normal does not equate to desirable.

What is it with skiers? Competitive swimmers are finely honed athletes. People going on a holiday to the seaside aren't told that they will have a rubbish time in the pool unless they spend six months on endurance and flexibility training.

Being fit and flexible and not fat is very good for people. But that applies to everybody, not just those who go on ski holidays. Hopefully some of those who go on ski holidays, who want to get better and be able to ski harder and for longer will themselves come to the conclusion that they'd like to get fitter, and take more lessons. But others would prefer to go on being fat and/or inflexible, compared to the pain of the alternative.

That's normal.
ski holidays
pam w, hear, hear.
latest report
pam w, a wise voice, as ever.
snow conditions
pam w, Right on!

I'd like to add that there is another approach.

I do very little excercise and zero 'fitness training' before during or after the ski season. (Sorry demos, I'm one of those despicable pie eating lazy barstewards you are clearly superior to in every way rolling eyes ).

However by careful planning I arranged this year to do an initial week in Maria Alm (to warm up the muscles a bit and prepare the liver for what is to come), a follow up week in Val in the company of some serious drinkers (and crap skiers), and a family week at half term in Wengen, where the work put in before really started to show in terms of weight loss, leg strength and alcohol resistance.

The MSB will hopefully consolidate the gains I have made and my final week, Easter in ischgl should give me an opportunity to show off my mastery of apres technique.

So in summary, my preparation for skiing involves, er, skiing. Gotta make sense really. Cheers Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:

What is it with skiers? Competitive swimmers are finely honed athletes. People going on a holiday to the seaside aren't told that they will have a rubbish time in the pool unless they spend six months on endurance and flexibility training.

Being fit and flexible and not fat is very good for people. But that applies to everybody, not just those who go on ski holidays. Hopefully some of those who go on ski holidays, who want to get better and be able to ski harder and for longer will themselves come to the conclusion that they'd like to get fitter, and take more lessons. But others would prefer to go on being fat and/or inflexible, compared to the pain of the alternative.

That's normal.

pam w, careful what you use to support your argument, one can easily say:

What is it with skiers?

People going on a holiday to the seaside aren't remotely tempted to swim as fast as they can or in the most dangerous place they can?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to actually swim for four hours or more each day?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to be forgiven those excess pies or saggy thighs once fitted into a swimsuit and made obvious to the world?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to have a bikini body starting only a few weeks before the holiday?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to take swimming lessons?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to forget how to swim after they come back?

Most of which would tend to support demos, I reckon.
snow report
comprex wrote:
pam w wrote:

That's normal.

pam w, careful what you use to support your argument, one can easily say:

What is it with skiers?

People going on a holiday to the seaside aren't remotely tempted to swim as fast as they can or in the most dangerous place they can?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to actually swim for four hours or more each day?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to be forgiven those excess pies or saggy thighs once fitted into a swimsuit and made obvious to the world?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to have a bikini body starting only a few weeks before the holiday?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to take swimming lessons?
People going on a holiday to the seaside don't expect to forget how to swim after they come back?

Most of which would tend to support demos, I reckon.

Actually I'd say most of that supported [b]Pam W[/s] points.

To clarify I'd substitute:

Many people going skiing aren't remotely tempted to ski as fast as they can or in the most dangerous place they can
Many people going skiing don't expect to actually ski for four hours or more each day
Many people going skiing don't care about those excess pies or saggy thighs which are hardly visible once fitted into salopettes anyway
Many people going skiing don't expect to have (or care about having) a bikini body starting only a few weeks before the holiday
Many people going skiing don't expect to take skiing lessons (after the initial couple of weeks, sooner if they are Russian)
Many people going skiing don't expect to forget how to ski after they come back

wink
snow conditions
Oh, I give up. In any case, nowhere have I said that one must exercise in order to go skiing. All I say is that it would make a lot of sense and particularly, if you have noticed that the last time you went, your legs were burning. I think that one should, as pam w said, exercise also for general health, but then again, I know life is not perfect. What I don't understand is that we cannot try to make sensible recommendations though.

As for the helmets, I am strongly against any obligation to wear one. I don't like obligations, but I don't like whining either, if one has not taken his/her precautions.

wink
snow conditions
demos, In that case I think we agree in the main.
latest report
demos, I think the message from the many helmet threads may be 'recommendations - good, moralising/preaching - bad' wink

(Actually I do recognise the value of your health exercise suggestions, but somehow I still manage to enjoy skiing even without them Laughing )
snow conditions
there's more to pre-ski exercise than enjoyment... Who recalls that recent article, posted on here, that most serious knee injuries were middle aged ladies with poor quadricep (sp) muscle tone?

Fitter = stronger = safer, as well as harder and longer.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
.... as well as harder and longer.

er, we ARE still talking about skiing here? Shocked
ski holidays
AxsMan, of course we are. There's 24 hours in a ski holi day and many skiers don't expect to ski for four of them.
ski holidays
comprex, I think AxsMan, was being risque... wink
latest report
red 27, I know I was.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, Does that mean they expect to ski for more than four, or less than four (and have other ways to pass their time enjoyably) ? Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

and have other ways to pass their time enjoyably

they'd be a bit sad if they didn't. However, there is a serious point here. Looking round our area, almost entirely French, they do have a different attitude. It's a family "winter holiday" which has all sorts of elements, one of them skiing, for at least some members of the family. They walk a lot, snowshoe, sit and have coffee and cakes, play with the kids, ski with the kids, and potter around the shops spending very little money (according to my local restaurant proprietor they are spending less than they used to). On bad weather days most don't ski, but they don't look desperately traumatized about it either. It's a bit less stressed.

Or at least, it is most of the time. We make ourselves scarce in the school holidays but a guy who runs a local language school told me in one of our French conversation sessions that the Parisian weeks can be a lot more manic, because they don't begin to calm down a bit till around Thursday, then they're off.

I spend a lot of time trying to convince friends that they can come and ski, gently, on our gentle slopes without spending months in the gym (though I have been known to email links to suitable ski exercise websites, which they always ignore). They can't ski all day. Maybe half a day, some lunch, a walk or snooze (or whatever...) in the afternoon. Beautiful scenery, fresh air, no dampness to get the rheumatics going. Once convinced to try, they are ecstatic, especially if they haven't skied for 15 years and thought they were past it.

For the industry as a whole the promotion of this kind of attitude, maybe a slightly more French attitude to the idea of a "winter holiday in the mountains" (followed a few months later by a "summer holiday in the mountains") could help spread the season, make better use of assets, rescue endangered species, improve blood pressure rates, reveal the secret gateway to eternal life and save the planet.
snow report
pam w,

I think you make some very fine well articulated points but please don't forget that skiing is like sex. If you only get it once or twice a year (as many Brits do with skiing) one is normally gagging for it.
latest report
DB, Indeed, and if one has the stamina and endurance to keep it up all day, what could be better?

However, those who can only manage a less athletic performance might still find it’s better to try than to give up, and that quality (along with the enhanced and mature powers of appreciation of some of the peripheral activities) can sometimes beat quantity.
ski holidays
pam w,

Yes, but what about skiing?
snow conditions
DB, both are always over much too soon Crying or Very sad Embarassed
ski holidays
Crikey, drop into a serious thread after a long day, and what does one find but that it's turned into a porno-thread! Shocked pam w, I wouldn't have expected such torrid innuendos from you!
ski holidays
Yes pam w you should be ashamed of yourself. I think I'm going to write to my MP about this ghastly "Porno" thread. Wink
snow report
Well, it isn't burning thighs thread for nothing, is it...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy