Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel S3V lift company on strike today

Poster: A snowHead
All the ski lifts in Courchevel are shut today, due to a strike called by the S3V lift company. According to information given by the lift company, the strike is over working conditions.
The entire Courchevel ski area will be closed today, and lifts in the Mottaret sector of the Meribel valley will suffer delays and disruption....The Meribel Alpina lifts (Meribel) and Belleville valley ski areas (Val Thorens and Les Menuires) are unaffected by the strike and all lifts will be running as usual.

Source: Press release from S3V
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, I would be mightily peed off. What are the alternatives? Bus to Meribel?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel Alpina is owned by a different company, the one that owns lots of resorts lifts. Imagine if this lot went on strike Shocked
http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/en/dom_ski.asp
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Currently in Courchevel 1850 here....just had a text from the Inghams rep who says that at the moment there's no change in the current situation so it looks like the strike will probably last the rest of the day. There was some talk last night/early this morning that the strike might get called off or cut short, but it's looking very much like that isn't going to happen now.

Apparently some people are taking buses/taxis over to Meribel, but it's going to be absolutely chaotic over there with everyone heading that way. So, if anyone's in 1850 and fancies a drink....let me know! Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think that may be the best approach slicendice sample all that courcheval has to offer instead of beating your way aroind meribel for the day can you imagine Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Send in the FSB.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, currently doing something along those very lines.....although most of what's on offer here in 1850 is somewhat outside my budget! In fact...it's waaaaay outside my budget! Laughing

Not had any further updates as of yet, so as far as I'm aware everything *should* be back to normal tomorrow....I'll post as soon as I know for definite
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slicendice, if the lifties are not back tomorrow, see if your party can hire some touring skis and skins? You'd have the slopes to yourselves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What to do in 1850 for a day?

Shoplift..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The tourist office in Courchevel 1850 said at 16.00 Monday that as far as they have been informed the strike is for today only, but on the other hand they are not sure if the lifts will be running tomorrow, Tuesday. Some people are organising buses to Meribel in case.
Quote:

Ordhan, currently doing something along those very lines.....although most of what's on offer here in 1850 is somewhat outside my budget! In fact...it's waaaaay outside my budget!

Not had any further updates as of yet, so as far as I'm aware everything *should* be back to normal tomorrow....I'll post as soon as I know for definite
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As predicted in the future of skiing thread

Quote:

Strikes particularly in France as low cost EU workers demand access to work as lifties. (or is it liftees?)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=857925#857925
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone any further news - we are in 1850 and apart from the lift pass office telling us no further news nothing is known about tomorow. Can anyone comment on the lift queues in Meribel today - the company we are with is laying on a bus for tomorrow but unsure if I want to go and hang around for hours - might be better sitting in a bar or going back to good ole blighty!
Sad Crying or Very sad : Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a little more news and some background on www.latania.co.uk
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just heard on Radio Meribel that the strike will continue tommorrow....................... Evil or Very Mad Puzzled

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-02-08 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hope they all get a refund on their lift passes Shocked
ski holidays
from www.latania.co.uk

Update 11:30am : From phone conversation with the S3V Lift Company - "Negotiations are taking place right now and there is the possibility of lifts opening later today but at present the situation remains that Courchevel lifts will remain closed all day".

Update 2:30pm: Meetings still going on in 1850 with the S3V management, the union and the hoteliers and ski schools who are all behind the S3V workers and their demands. The basic position is that the management have given themselves large pay rises over the past 5 years while the employees have had very little or nothing. They have now had enough and want the departure of Laurent Fillon (the big boss) who let's say they are not very happy with. The word is that management don't realise how strong feelings are amongst the staff...
ski holidays
Thanks for all the responses - anyone know how busy it was in Meribel today? We have heard that there was a meeting at 5.30 but have not had an outcome - I do hope Radio Meribel was not reporting the outcome of that................... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Also from www.latania.co.uk - looks like queues weren't big once outside Meribel and the Loze lift was used to ski back to La Tania (on a very empty piste) although the link was officially closed...

DESPITE OF STRIKE HAD A GREAT DAY
------------------------
8.45 left La Tania for Meribel Village straight onto the lift and set off on our weekly chalet tour to the 4th Valley. Once through Meribel had no more than a couple of minutes queing.Lovely run down Lanches then the Stade and Plan Fontaine home.

NICK NICKSKI
snow conditions
Karen.sinden, It was the 6-30 news........said buses would run to Meribel village
ski holidays
Word on the street is it may run on tomorrow...Sounds like its going to be a last minute decision in the morning again.
snow report
More from www.latania.co.uk

STRIKE LATEST 8:35am local time
Radio Méribel are reporting that the latest information is that Courchevel lifts will open today but opening times will be delayed. More info as soon as we hear.
latest report
Strike over - again from www.latania.co.uk

STRIKE LATEST 9:05am local time
The strike is over. Lifties returning to work - Courchevel lifts expected to be open by 9:30am this morning.
latest report
I just had a text from Euangoneskiing in Courchevel to say they are running again now.
snow report
Quote:

The basic position is that the management have given themselves large pay rises over the past 5 years while the employees have had very little or nothing.

So this doesn't just happen in Britain then rolling eyes
latest report
admin wrote:
I just had a text from Euangoneskiing in Courchevel to say they are running again now.

But all the bar and restaurant staff will walk out in sympathy, probably.
Then on Saturday the ferry's will go on strike as will the Air Traffic controllers ....... merde!!!
Then the customs officials will strike giving open access to all the immigrants bound for the Uk

J'adore la belle France
snow conditions
So was it a warm-up to the strike when the lifts went down in Courcheval on Saturday about 2pm? I was lucky and got out over to La Tania and didn't miss my coach home - I feel for you guys stuck in Courcheval today. On the bright side - last time I looked at a weather forecast, it said snow is due on Weds. Confused
snow conditions
Locals reckon there will be a little snow tonight. Clouds are starting to build now.
snow report
was told that there were also lightening strikes in Meribel yesterday by someone in Les Menuires ... anyone else saw this as well?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It actually rained a little in 1850 lats night!!! Shocked

Fortunately higher up the slopes it had come down as very fine snow....not much of it, but there was a dusting. There may be more tonight, but if there is it apparently won't be that much.

Cloud had been down on a lot of the Courchevel valley today, but considering the high temperatures and lack of snow, the pistes aren't bad....although some are starting to appear a little brown, and there are a lot of stones appearing on some runs too.

Fingers crossed for more snow soon!
latest report
Flaine and some other resorts that are part of the CdA chain are on strike this sunday, best have a lie in. The strike should only be early on in Flaine.
snow report
If there is a srike are rebates issued on lift passes?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
If there is a srike are rebates issued on lift passes?

if the lifts are closed all day and there is no alternative skiing then yes. The Flaine strike will be an hour after the lifts open so won't affect anyone starting mid morning.
snow report
Meribel lifts opened half-an-hour late this morning due to strikes. Tomorrow, Mottaret lifts are due to open half-an-hour later than usual.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy