Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fairly amusing footage of Le Tunnel... never have so many moguls been side slipped by so many.

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/ZUgX923gZYI
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarpa, did you shoot that? Sorta sums it up. I remember a lot of bods at the lip - but not such a collection at the side Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa, thank you for bringing me such happy memories. I can remember looking down on a similar number of people and thinking, "where am I going to turn, there's nowhere that's clear enough of people to do so." Every mogul was occupied and so were the piste edges. Nightmare.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's an old one, not shot my myself - I was looking at something else and noticed a link to it. Although, I have got down a few steep mogul fields by utilising the same lack of techniques... we all get a little adventurous when we are learning at times Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-02-08 1:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, yeah we all have. I would actually have preferred to use such techniques, rather than the one unintentionally adopted, which was to somersault down the whole slope, strewing bits of equipment all over it as I went. The miracle was that I didn't wipe out a single person on the way down, God knows how I missed them all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, You see... I have sooooo much more style. I tend to come down like a swimmer down a waterslide, only on my back and head first, flowing over every damn bump like a demented lubed up slinky toy Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, bloody hell. I'm glad you (and I) survived to tell the tale.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At least it appears to have snow to turn on for once, I've gone down when its ben icy, I might as well have been jumping out of first floor windows toget the same grief in my knees and legs Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It flashed up "Amateurs stay away" so why didn't they. Not one person actually skied it, it was just a load of council workers, scraping the snow off.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman,
Quote:

it was just a load of council workers, scraping the snow off.

Great description Laughing wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So you DO know how it feels for me when I find something too steep - even if it would be trivial to you! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, I think everybody knows how it feels when they're on a slope steeper than they're comfortable with. Things start twitching. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, yup Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Wrong gulley in Bois D'Lours Les Arcs 2 years ago. Shocked Have managed to wash the brown stains out of pants since. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
It flashed up "Amateurs stay away" so why didn't they. Not one person actually skied it, it was just a load of council workers, scraping the snow off.

The problem is that by the time you realise you are way out of your depth, you have just gone 200m down a flat tunnel and there isn't really room to reverse the route (plus, imagine the ignominy!). Thing is, you can make about 2 turns then traverse skiers' right and get a nice smooth bit of off-piste. It really is amazing how few people take this option (but good or else it would be mogulled too)! You have people flailing around on big icey moguls with nice snow barely 10m away
snow conditions
Arno, I wionder how many skiers are sucked into the tunnel because they have done Sarrene and therefore think they can do ADH blacks? The two runs are very different beasts.
latest report
achilles, indeed - but you can see the tunnel very easily from the cable car so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise to find it is a steep mogul field
snow conditions
Arno, I agree - but I must admit the first time I did the Tunnel in good light (I had done it many years ago in very flat light and deep soft snow) I was a bit surprised by the exposure and ferocity of it. Fortunately, I had had a dose of easiski recently, and summoning up everything I could remember saw me through snowHead
snow report
Pussys Toofy Grin
ski holidays
achilles, I couldn't work out why Sarenne was black. The conditions weren't particularly tasty when I did it - quite a bit of ice and some rocks and earth poking through in places - but there was nothing either very steep or very narrow. Did I sleep-ski some of it, or what? Confused
latest report
Hurtle, doubt it. There's a bit of a steep pitch at the top - but the face is wide open. No comparison in difficulty with the Tunnel.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
achilles, I couldn't work out why Sarenne was black. The conditions weren't particularly tasty when I did it - quite a bit of ice and some rocks and earth poking through in places - but there was nothing either very steep or very narrow. Did I sleep-ski some of it, or what? Confused

Something to do with it being 16km long apparently, but why that qaulifies it as a black I don't know. Just thought it was long and tedious at the end and as I was doing it with some boarders I had to give my poles away which made it even worse.

But the Tunnel, that is a totally different beast. Only did it the once and that was enough for my old legs Embarassed .
snow report
There is a handy rope at the side of the tunnel to help with the long walk of shame back up to the start.

The only way to start the tunnel is with a jump into the middle of the mogul field. wink
snow report
I wonder how many of those went home and boasted that they skied it.

Kudos to the cretin at 2.35, stopped in the middle to film back up the run.
snow conditions
It is a bit of a Fitzwilliam of a run- even I sideslipped before the first 2 turns! If you keep the altitude up and traverse left off the run you can do a far less mogulled alternative known as the Breche. Not too be done in poor visibility though! It has a solitary arrow marking the start and the next marker was well over the crest of the next ridge, kept on following the tracks and hoped I wasn't going to end up sailing over a cliff!
snow report
Straight line the bug!
latest report
how does this run compare with the "swiss wall" in avoriaz over to switzerland ?
latest report
Just wanted to resurrect this thread. Largely because I have now been there, and done that. With almost no style whatsoever, and requiring at least one little chat with myself and some amusing shouting to keep myself going at various points. If I had known what was at the other end of that tunnel I think I might have just gone to the bar.

Interesting that all points to get down from the ledge were more than 3 feet drop, and almost vertical. We actually had to sit on the ledge and even then "drop in" a bit to get onto the first row of moguls.

In answer to the above, the swiss wall is a much easier start, having seen the swiss wall and done the Tunnel, I know which I'd happily go back and do. And it's not the Tunnel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, congratulations! I'm definitely not going back there again (and have never done the Swiss Wall).
snow report
Monium wrote:
.....Interesting that all points to get down from the ledge were more than 3 feet drop, and almost vertical. We actually had to sit on the ledge and even then "drop in" a bit to get onto the first row of moguls.....

That's different from when I was there about 3 years ago. Then the entrance was more or less as shown in the video. The direct fall- line entry was a snowboard-wide trench. Skiers were taking a very icy traverse at the end of which there was a challenging left turn. Fortunately, I had recently completed an easiski session, so I was then up for it. Didn't enjoy it much, but did it several times since I was skiing with Flyer, who thought it was fun rolling eyes. Maybe the difference in entry conditions between then and now is due to less snowfall this season.

I've lost some confidence lately, so I wouldn't be keen to do it at all, now. It's the toughest piste (including Val D'Isere's Face) that I have skied.
snow conditions
Aha. This is what faced me at 10am on the first morning of my fourth week's skiing. Quite some time later I learned that the rest of the party hadn't actually disappeared ahead of me, but had gone a different way. That's me on the left of the video, I'm sure...

What really impressed me was they were pisting the top of it. (Four pisteurs with pick axes and shovels, demolishing the biggest moguls.)

It was the most enormous confidence builder when I reached the bottom as I knew that I could get down anything (even if I was being a Council Worker!).
ski holidays
achilles, completely agree about the Face. This is about 30% harder than that IMO, even with severe ice on the Face.

The entry was the hardest part by a distance. They had a lot of snow in the couple of days before we did it, but the lip on the top (where skiers shown in the video waiting) was the width of about 3 skis edge to edge, and there was no real entry point - everyone was kind of slipping off the ledge sideways and trying not to fall on the first shelf. This seemed to create a number of issues, because as they left the ledge they'd scrape another few cm of snow off the edge, making the ledge smaller and smaller. Right in front of us a previously passable section to the far right of the piste just disappeared under a skiier, leaving everyone with the same vertical drop to get in.

Still glad I did it, but won't be doing it again in a hurry. I think I'd have been a bit happier in my own skis, but on rentals and with very tired thighs and knees from two days of hard skiing and drinking, it was a bit more than I was really ready for.
snow report
There are bits of the Sarenne which would be very challenging for a red run, and if some unsuspecting skier saw it as red they could well struggle. Length is nothing to do with it (although ADH make the most of it being the longest black in Europe, when much of it is green!), but the hardest part is. I made a pigs breakfast of the Tunnel this year, but did it better years ago when I wasn't as good as I am now - that's life. I do think it would be useful for resorts to grade their blacks - I know it depends on snow conditions, but the Sarenne is never going to compare with the Tunnel.
snow conditions
Sorry, but I would have been the chap with the small willy walking back through the tunnel snowHead
latest report
welshskier, we found a really useful guide was the Mad Dog series, they have a short summary of the reds and blacks in the resorts they cover, giving them a 1 star to 3 star rating. Gave us a good guide to what was going to be achievable for some of our group on previous trips, and you knew if it was a 3 star black that doing it at 4pm after a big lunch was no tlikely to be a good idea. Also had good time of the day to do it, and why it was a black (icy, steep, narrow, unpisted etc) Unfortunately I didn't get the book for LDA, and fell for "it's not that steep, kind of cruisey blue but with a bit of a steep bit" BS from the lads Smile
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
Sorry, but I would have been the chap with the small willy walking back through the tunnel snowHead

The previous day I had been fined for leaving the club at 3am instead of 5am with the rest of them. There's only so many fines one person can take in a week Very Happy Going back through the tunnel was not an option Shocked
ski holidays
Opinions welcomed on how The Tunnel compares to Hari Kiri in Austria? Steeper run, but harder?

Anyone prepared to put forward a more difficult run in Europe that I need to council worker my way down? snowHead
latest report
The Sarenne (well the first part) can also be quite mogully:

But nothing beats Le Tunnel (start: just under the rocks in the middle of the picture):

(pictures taken January 2008)
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
Opinions welcomed on how The Tunnel compares to Hari Kiri in Austria? Steeper run, but harder?

Anyone prepared to put forward a more difficult run in Europe that I need to council worker my way down? snowHead

Harakiri isn't that difficult: it is steep, but prepared daily. Tunnel is far more difficult, actually in another league.
latest report
Monium, thanks very much - good info.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy