Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic Rando into territories well known.

Poster: A snowHead
All started well Saturday morning, up early after one or two glasses of cheap red wine the night before, hoping that the clean fresh air would coerce out the little people in my head attacking the inside of my skull with their steel toe capped boots.
A colleague and i, NZK have taken to Ski Randonnée with a view to knowing better our Valley of 'Chamonix'. Ski Randonnée, for me, can be best described at turning your ideas of skiing on it's head. The freedom of being able to ski any line is restricted only by your willingness to hike out and up, the faffiness of sticking the strips of mixed animal furs and synthetics to your newly waxed and edged skis. Repetitively emptying your rucksac and repacking it as if following a drill in the US Marine Corps. The constant readjusting of your bindings ensuring the most efficient uphill technique. The Pot of Gold at the end of each 'Skin' up the mountain being virgin untracked snow.
Buying that virgin her first glass of sweet cider, her second then her third and leading her behind the Village hall for her liberation and your pleasure can be a simple task, if you are experienced. We, Angus and I, are after all your "Sex Education" teachers, talking through every fine detail of what is needed, when and how best to use it, but then, my 'Sex Ed' teacher was a 60 year old women with bad breath and a moustache, had she really ever had sex?

So our morning had started well, lunch was packed by 'Gus as i adjusted the kit. The day was designed to explore an area(SIDECOUNTRY) easily accsessable on a lunchtime whilst never seeming to get tracked out (too good to be true?) and to test out some new boots that after closer inspection were not going to fit within the adjustment of my binding. So back to my trusty F3's a boot to go uphill fast but requiring gentle decent controlling speed as not to pop the binding, not what today was all about.

Angus, NZK like an excited child on Xmas morning with 2 pairs of BD boots to choose from.

Finally we were ready with kit a gogo.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-02-08 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So far so good, no queue at the Brevent, straight into the Egg, oddly sporting stickers suggesting you 'F**K Work' and to give 'desk jobs the finger.' Some people! Where do i get a sticker like that? So out of the Egg and into the Cable Car up to the Brevent. The view from the platform is one of the best in the world, a Panorama of the MontBlanc range, the Aiguilles Rouge, Flaine and Mt Buet. We really have the best playground in the world. 'Click Click' and we're into our skis and ready for the off, i flex my boots to test their resistance and 'ping'. I've had problems using my F3's with the Vertical ST bindings, the bellows over the toe that enable my tar ridden lungs carry me up hill, flex when i ski hard, they pop and i unexpectedly end up assessing my telemark technique, i'm Shite. This time the entire binding system threw it's toys out of the pram and all over the snow.

A few minutes later and ignoring the sentiments to give up as this could pose a real problem down the mountain and away from any tools, we skied down to where we would have to justify the needless slaughter of hundreds of Seals for our pleasure. None of this before we had hopped a few cornices and bootpacked out of now was proving some of the best snow we've had all year.

Angus(NZK) hopping his first Cornice of the Day. (This guy has been skiing 5 months!!!)

For every drop there's an effort after. How many 'Thank Feck for that' moments would we have before the day was out?'

So far so good a quick stop to refresh ourselves with a sandwich and a cup of tea, before skinning up.

Ok, so i forgot to put the milk in the tea and remove the tea bag. Not to worry, i wouldn't have to share my flask.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
keep it coming.... snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,.... looks like it's going to be one helluva day ... Laughing

.... there pretty, technicolour kinda togs you're wearing in the last photo .... were they previously owned by anyone called 'Joseph' .. ?

Tip 6, .... of the 'Ten Top Tips' of Sidecountry photography .... use a white felt-tip to record time/date stamp - it's less intrusive to our appreciation of the photos .... .... Toofy Grin

... What happened after Cha ..... ?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 24-02-08 13:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the SMALL one seems to be cultivating the rando-racer look. just needs some lycra pants now wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So with my tea still burning my tongue and NZK clicking into his 'Duke' for the first time with the heel free we head up to the Aiguilette, scanning the terrain for the best lines down. The Snow is incredible, no snowfall for weeks, ney months and we have a good 20cm of fresh untracked powder to fall into on our decent. We carefully zigzag up the mountain and i show NZK my special 'Tele' technique for skinning free heel with skins on. Unimpressed as i tumble down a tiny slope he tries it, with the same inevitable result, 'Icecream' head, boy that hurts. Evert step uphill gets harder as the fresh lines present themselves like the same forementioned virgin after her 4 pint of cider. We'll continue to the top to assess our timings better.

My technique of skiing with skins on is flawless.

As it that of NZK.

Each glide up the virgin face is a test of our willingness to turn around and just ski down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once at the top and a brief discussion about one of our colleagues, his over preparation and 'Nasal' tones, "Nawww, you shud gaw and riiide da Mega", NZK decides i should take the first line as if unsure as to the snow stability or quality, which i duly oblige. The first turn is always after a couple of bounces to test snow pack and find the front of my boots, something i'm getting used to given they flex less at the shin and more at the toe. But the conditions prove perfect for my kit, something just clicked and it was a beautiful feeling. NZK next attacking the same line but with a technique leaving me green with envy. He was on his Enforcers, Duke and the new BD Method Freeride boot 110shore flex. Where i had to be light on my feet being careful not to overflex my boots and pop out of my binding, the little Jamie Oliver look-a-like creamed the slope popping off everything in his wake, the fact his kit weighed in 3 times the weight of mine only an aid in this kind of terrain given the wonderful conditions, for now. wink

On top of the ridge. All's well.

A couple of turns later.

A beautiful little cornice, NZK took the direct line mine the more cautious one from the left, popping out of my bindings didn't seem to be a problem, next time down i'm going to show the little boy how it's done.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once back down, going back up for another decent was the only option. Skins back on we headed back up to the ridge. Checking our watches to be sure of our timing. 3pm left us enough time to ski again and then decide which exit route we would take; Bellachat, Merlet/Les Houches or back up the Brevent. So off we went, twice stopping to discuss our options, it was becoming clear NZK was starting to feel the weight of his set up whilst i was starting to feel the uncertainty of our exit choices. None the less the skiing was keeping us going. Once at the ridge we decided Bellachat would be the best choice sparing us the massive assent of the Brevent and the certain 3hr walkout to Les Houches in boots that had started to remind us that 'Racefit' was not the best option for randonnée. So off we went, this time skiing further right towards Bellachat.

The last accent of the day, stopping a few times to debate the exit route and different friends, when really we were both feeling a little tired.

Again i took the first line heading towards Bellachat. The fatigue starting to tell, my lightfooted technique my set up required disappeared, seemingly to be replaced by my Freeride/GS/Straightline technique. Having hit an old skin track, i was kicked out of the saddle and for the second time that day, my head was plunged deep into the freezing snow.

By the time NZK arrived i was screaming like a baby my head freezing to the core, funny none the less, we realised from this aspect we were presented with 2 choices for our chosen decent of Bellachat. It was at this point i realised how much NZK was relying on me to get us home and to the nearest bar to speak of our awesome day. As if an Angel had put it there, i spotted the Chalet Bellachat on the side of the mountain, a bit more skiing and a short skin would see us there, a ski down and a short hike and we would be in the bar before Happy Hour was over.

Content with our spot of the Chalet and the chat of a beer, we headed off at speed, i popped a cornice, great air only the reception, well flat. My ski tails hit the snow and released however still attatched at the front of my Dynafit bindings set on non release. This is the chance you take, your ski hitting you in the eye that is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report, and an impressive cut as well. Bet that was colourful this morning!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Yeah i'm dead proud. Photo to follow. wink (not a wink, but how i look!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ouchie - bet that smarted a bit. Fwiw my right boot still sports a "F**k work" sticker Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, What a great sounding day. Nasty cut though hope you've got someone to kiss it better. Unemployment doesn't seem to be cramping your enjoyment much Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, other bloke in hospital? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That is pretty nasty and a couple of cm from being serious. Must keep you alive.
latest report
Having skied down to the spot where we believed Bellachat was, it was time for a little skin over a col and down to the Chalet where we would find the door to the forest and our safe passage home after an awesome day. We stopped to again put on our skins where yet again i managed to cut myself open on my recently prepared edges. So now with a cut to my face and hand, laying a trail for the Mythical Bellachat Bigfoot, of we went. Real short skin and ski down to the chalet left us perplexed. The south facing slopes of Bellachat presented us with 2 couloirs, neither to narrow or steep but we couldn't be sure where they finished or if indeed there would be enough snow to be able to ski out, the slope being way too steep for a bootpack and thus forcing us into the forest too early. Angus was starting to groan. We now had one realistic option, to skin back out of Bellachat and back up the Brevent where we could ski most of the way home via either the Brevent Couloir or Les Nants. It was pushing 5pm and i was optimistic that we could reach Brevent within 40mins.

Despite the task ahead, a cut to the eye and hand i was still in pretty good spirits.

The Brevent looming in the distance a quick skin out and we'd be home safe.

So, again we set off this time sure of our path home, we were really tiring now and putting down our own skin tracks as we meandered around the mountain looking for every possible shortcut. A sound from NZK, a little like the sound the bath makes as it finally empties drew my attention to the fact he would now be sharing my rapidly depleating water supply. We had been out in the baking sun all day and working harder than either were used to, both getting really dehydrated. Each step was an effort, each after the next becoming harder and harder. Seemingly the Brevent, our target, never getting any closer as we were too being reminded by the setting sun to push on. Handfuls of snow, rests and moans later we reached our summit, the sun had just set and we would be skiing home by moonlight. Despite the fact we were hurting, that skin up the Brevent at sunset was one of the most beautiful moments of my life, unfortunately neither of us could be bothered with the camera anymore but the light was amazing and everytime i felt the sun had set a little further, i quickened my pace as if to try and get higher than the mountain it was disappearing behind. Upon reaching our piste it was proper dark, removing our skins and packing them away was an unbelievable chore, Angus fighting with the ice that had balled up around his Duke bindings was proving almost too much, the piste basher chucking huge lumps of snow our direction intimidating to say the least, the driver stopping for a moment to warn us of the other 'Machines' on our way down. It was time to go home. In an instant we rode around to the other side of the mountain and as if by magic it was pitch black and the snow turned boiler plate, this was going to be the worst decent of our lives, soon i remembered my first 2 seasons when we would go to Les Bossons to ski at night under the lights. This is all about feeling, you can actually do it with your eyes shut once you know hat you're not going to ski off the mountain. One last decision to make, Couloir or Les Nants, Les Nants won as we had skied it sometime back and were sure it would offer us the shortest walk out, that choice well behind us we still had a walk out of 1:30h in our lovely boots that were starting to feel 3 sizes too small. Without the help or our head torches, that we had cleverly left at our homes, the walk out was interesting and picking out the different shades of white to determine the difference between the soft, traction offering snow and the sheet ice was proving a challenge for NZK, twice the clatter of skis and the groan of himself spoiling the calm of the freezing night.
The next sound we would hear would be a life saver. NZK had started to feel quite ill due to being dehydrated, as we descended our 8000th switchback the sound of running water lifted our spirits, Angus' back hit the ground in an instant as he rushed over to the stream passing underneath us. Two litres of that and trust me when i say it was cold water, with an new vigor we started the last little push to my car, conversation restarted and turned to where and what would we eat, 'Casa' is always the first place we think of, but it was dinertime for everybody and it was Saturday. I didn't want to see anybody, i wanted my food quick and at my house, what option did we have? At around 9pm we reached my car, our bags chucked in the boot, time to get out of these damn boots!

Where did we eat? Well i ate at my house, Angus, at his, what did we eat?

And you know what, it was the best F**king thing i have ever eaten. Laughing

How are we now? Awesome my eye has come up a treat and we are looking forward to our next outing.

No regrets, but my message to myself, don't go into the mountains unprepared and then ignore all the signs of danger time presents you.
snow conditions
oops.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-02-08 11:57; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
oops
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think you need to find a job. Crazy but sounds great fun Confused Laughing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Excellent - a gripping tale Smile
snow report
SZK, having been involved with ski mags since 1978, I can tell you that editors pay money for bizarre and barmy adventures like that. Call Powder ... or McDonald's Monthly.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I'm flattered, Cheers DG.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, has a point. For an illiterate dope head, you write very nicely Madeye-Smiley wink

Glad to see you enjoying yourself.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about not being at work. Confused
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Amazing day and great report - Damage to face looks like it has repaired well although seems to have jumped from left to righthand side. Laughing
ski holidays
kevinrhead, so does SMALLZOOKEEPER have a body double who takes the hits from his ski ...or did he smack himself in the face twice with said ski...oucha!! wink
snow report
CEM, I'd welcome a double to do the walking for me.
snow conditions
I reckon it was an argument over who gets to eat the last jammy dodger and NZK won. Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That is quite a scary cut under the eye, it's jumped from 1 side of the face to the other Shocked Epic story though
latest report
FenlandSkier, kevinrhead, I hadn't noticed, but you're right, it's my left eye. Photo Booth must flip things over.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Photo Booth must flip things over.

Surely you can give us something more entertaining than a flipped photo from Photo Booth? Wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, maaassseeeef!!! Have a sausage, you deserve it!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks for the post - saves me buying ski magazines! - somewhere in the middle it almost made me want to do it (just before the ski in the face and well before the Mac Attack). snowHead
snow report
great stories and piccies... the bashed up eye lends a very cool hardcore slant to the fun.. battling through the pain and such like...
latest report
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. It was a great day and i look forward to a few more, need to get me a camera.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy