Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts wanted: week for 2 starting 1st March

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for advice from snowHead

Holiday needed for 2 people:
- Me (reasonable intermediate boarder)
- Jules (advanced/annoyingly good boarder)

We have both got the week off from Sat 1st March - Sun 10th March for the express purpose of snowboarding. We have to go this week as we both have work commitments stopping us doing other dates. We both have some money to spend on this project, but we're not drowning in cash. We'd be looking to spend no more than £400 on accom + transfer + flight, but wouldn't expect lift pass, food or beer to be included in that.

My question has 2 parts. Part 1 is a bit dull and predictable. I've tried the usual suspects (Crystal, Direct etc.) and can't quite find what I'm after. Part 2 is the exciting bit where experience comes into play.

1. Can anyone please please point me at a package holiday (or the components for a holiday) which fits this sort of bill:

We don't mind too much where we go, but it should have the following attributes:
- More than 100km piste so we haven't covered it all by day 3 (so nowhere in Bulgaria, for instance)
- Higher than 1000m at village level (we want snow, and preferably freshies)
- No ridiculous distance from accomodation to piste (so no "easy 15 minute bus ride and a mere 45 minutes in a gondola followed by a convenient 20 minute walk to the piste" craziness)

That's about it. We're really not fussy. Things we don't care about include:
- Nightlife. We can do all that stuff at home. We have MP3 players, books and can buy our own beer.
- Aesthetics. We don't care if the building we stay in isn't a marvel of architecture (so Les Menuires would be OK Wink )
- Creature comforts. Twin beds (rather than double) would be good, as we're close but not that close, and a shower and a toilet are both important. Other than that, we don't care.

2. The 'adventure' option

As the pickings for part 1 are fairly slim, we're half considering getting a flight to Geneva and a resort transfer and then trying our luck (i.e. wandering round hotels/tourist office etc. til we find somewhere to stay). With no girlfriends in tow to complain about the stupidity of this plan, we think it's possible. Has anyone done this before (or tried and failed)? All stories will be read with interest... our resort selection would be based on the above and we'd probably try for the 3 Valleys or something as we like it there and if we fail in one resort, another one isn't too far away.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just a thought (and i defo don't know if it exists) does geneva airport have a tourist info booth that you could have a nosey at for resorts with available accommodation if you decide to wing it? alternatively, are you looking to stay for 7 or 9 nights? that may prove to be a problem if you're staying for longer than the usual week-long stay.

this is a link from the snowboardclub.co.uk forum which i also look at, and it seems this lady runs a good show in serre chevalier (sp?) www.highrockchalet.co.uk - worth looking at/contacting?

good luck if you go DIY.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shallimus, I know this may sound a bit strange, but I would fly to Geneva, and stay in Morzine as a base to access the PDS, perhaps alternatively stay in Avoriaz. You can ride 'the Stash', try some safe 'side of piste' and ride a different resort every day, it is also a short transfer from Geneva and you will do it within your budget, even maybe a catered chalet. Go to www.chaletsdirect.co.uk (or something like that) and post a request for a chalet/self catering/B&B etc. and you will have loads of replies.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shallimus, sounds a great plan. However, that'll be a busy week in France - last week of the school holidays - so I'd go somewhere else. Austria, Switzerland, Italy.... where there might be fewer kids to mow down. I can't really suggest any specific resorts because I really only know the French ones. St Anton has to be one you'd look at, or the Ski Amade area, flying into Salzburg. Cervinia? There are plenty of Swiss experts on Snowheads who might be along with some Swiss suggestions. Verbier?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, St Anton and Verbier are not the cheapest of resorts, but would otherwise be my suggestion. France mega resorts will be busy but PDS is so big and a lot of it Swiss so I doubt it would be too bad. What is it like at the moment where are, busy? good conditions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the input so far - much food for thought as I know various contributors to this thread are pretty knowledgeable. I have checked out various options, and have decided to compromise...

I've now booked us a 'lucky dip'/allocation-on-arrival through Inghams. We're going to Austria (Salzburg) from Birmingham(!) which means a fair ol' drive to get to the airport from W London area, but it was what was available. I don't know what resort we're going to, so we could be very lucky (Mayrhofen, Kitzbühel?) or fairly unlucky (St. Wolfgang, which I hear is 30+ minutes' bus ride from the slopes... wtf!?)

Luckily this option was well within our budget, so if we get stuck somewhere tooooo awful we can probably fix it for at least a couple of days.

I'll let you all know the outcome if you're interested - once we get to Austria that is. Very excited as last holiday was planned 3 months in advance (so 3 months' agonising waiting)... now it's a mere 2 weeks but with the added excitement/dread of not having a clue where we'll end up).

Anyone been to the lower-lying resorts round Salzburg?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also I realise I never posted any pics from my last holiday, but don't have that many exciting ones. Will try harder this time NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shallimus, very brave going for the allocation on arrival option, but I am sure it will be fun, infact it is a good way of perhaps going somewhere that you would not normally pick. Maybe worth looking at which resorts Inghams go to around Salzburg, at least you will have an idea or the best and the not so best wink, but I am sure it will be ok Little Angel

edit you have probably checked out the resorts already Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, how much did that cost you if you don't mind me asking ?

Trying to look for something on the 8th march but the stuff left is either Bulgaria, Andorra or super expensive
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DebbiDoesSnow, wait until the monday before you want to go and check website special offer prices then. if you're still coming up short wait until the thursday and try again (choice might be more limited but prices are at their cheapest).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rogg, its gettting sparse Shocked I just should of booked something weeks ago instead of trying to be clever and get a 'bargain'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was looking around yesterday for 1st march and really struggled ended up at a chalet stopped in in morzine last year and a flight from leeds with jet2 - other availability from non gatwick was zilch - Leeds is a good airport for me as 2 miles away!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DebbiDoesSnow, you will be on the coach to 3V the way things are going, pull your finger out girl snowHead Btw I just chucked a cheeky weekend flight for 29th Feb in to the system Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, off anywhere good?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, i'm looking at a site which departs from ireland and it's giving me about 7 or 8 options, so i guess it's different over there (in the windowseat of the hub of life). i'm still hopeful to bag a bargain for the 8th - forecast is starting to look up a bit too.

happy hunting
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow
heres a few on lastminute.com
Mayrhofen
http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-availability.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&dim46=7&destText=&minChildAge=-1&maxResults=10&sourceType=2&childAge0=-1&childAge1=-1&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&sortBy=7%2C0&maxOffset=0&children=0&maxChildAge=-1&adults=2&depAirportGroup=-1&dimension5=-1&searchType=basic&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&discount=0&dateRange=20080301-20080315&depMonth=3&dimension23=Austria&dim14=-1&depDay=8&expandThreshold=5&productId=40562&durationRange=-1&childAge5=-1
St Johann
http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-availability.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&dim46=7&destText=&minChildAge=2&maxResults=10&sourceType=1&childAge0=-1&childAge1=-1&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&sortBy=7%2C0&maxOffset=0&children=0&maxChildAge=11&adults=2&depAirportGroup=-1&dimension5=-1&searchType=basic&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&discount=0&dateRange=20080301-20080315&depMonth=3&dimension23=Austria&dim14=-1&depDay=8&expandThreshold=5&productId=581385023&durationRange=-1&childAge5=-1
ski holidays
stevew, no, just booked a Friday to Monday flight to Innsbruck and I am sending a few emails out to a few resorts, but St Anton is 75 minutes away by train Very Happy
snow conditions
Cheers nigel b, havent been to Austria since 1992(ish) when they had the worst season ever and it was pure grass & mud, maybe its time to get over that horror and go back

rogg, bummer, did see some some Ireland bargains, but its bit too far from the Londinium 'burbs

rayscoops, you deserve to be sent to coventry for your constant trip taking
ski holidays
We have one room left for that week in Les Melezes, Tignes Les Boisses - Sunday 2nd to Sunday. Within your price range and includes wine food etc. PM me for details.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy