Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Swiss motoring organisation (TCS) just did a short review of snow chains, it's available [url=http://www.tcs.ch/tcs.html?/webtcs/TCSItech.nsf/Index/*Accessoires!OpenDocument&language=fr]online[/url] here for anyone that's interested.

There will a German version (and Italian I presume) there somewhere if you prefer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent, thanks, just what I was looking for. The question is where in France I can find a distributor for the likes of the Ottinger Speedspur Maxi... and whether it fits my extra-large wheels (bigger than for the standard people carrier).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to say I was surprised by the results, I've had Rud Centrax and thought they were fine, the TCS say easy to mount but not much use on snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use Spikes Spider - easy to fit, and seem to give al the grip I need on snow. Info at http://www.spikesspider.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a pair of chains size 90, which we had to use on a hired van. Good quality, bought from Filarinskis in Havant. They are too big for our car but might fit a bigger vehicle. We live at Emsworth, near Portsmouth on the south coast. The chains are no use to us, but "free to a good home" if you live nearby. Too heavy to post.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I use Spikes Spider - easy to fit, and seem to give al the grip I need on snow. Info at http://www.spikesspider.com/

Me too, they seem to be excellent.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OAMTC (the Austrian equivalent to the AA) printed a similar test in their November issue. The Konig Fly, Ottinger Light, Pewag Brenta C and Pewag Sportmatik came out tops in their tests. Please don't shoot the messenger but the spikes and other chain alternatives didn't fair very well at all.

The Pewag Sportmatik was also winner on test.de (German equivalent to which in the uk).

Here's a model selector for Pewag chains ......
http://www.pewag.com/at/produkte/gsk_pkw/index.php4
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, and I think ADAC rated them as well, I'll look at the Pewag Sportmatik when I change the car next year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Rud chains on several cars including the current 4x4 which has no need for it so far.

I would go along Rud is about average but slight better engineered than those sold in the French hypermarket. I got mine from the Roofbox company of UK which also sell roof boxes. Their Rud chain catalogue is pretty comprehensive too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Our club would be interested in these chains for the vehicle which we hire 3 or 4 times a year. What van did you used to use them on?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Philbski1 & paw w,

The chain is supposed to fit the tyre so the diameter and width matter.

The right question is therefore "what is tyre size the pam w's van?"

Having got the tyre dimension (like 265/55R19) you can go to roofbox web site to check for the type of a new chain if you need to buy for such a tyre. If the same type of chain is quoted for both philbski1 and paw w tyres, despite slightly different size, then the chain will fit and safe to be used.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Philbski. Our van was hired, sort of middle sized Mercedes - couldn't tell you the tyre size. The chains fit a range of tyre sizes, spelt out on the label but too many to reproduce here. A sample range is 195 x 14, 180 x 15, 225 x 15, 215 x 17. The make is "Rapid Matic" made by Maggi, Italy. They were £65 in Filarinskis. V2 size 90. I'd like to think of them going regularly to the snow. They're no use to us. I have put on a lot of snow chains in the last few years and I don't think these are any easier or harder than the other supposedly "easyfit" ones. I've never tried mounting the ones like a ladder.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philbski. I have tried to reply to your PM, clicking on your link but it says "this is not a known member". I am on AOL too. Any other email address I could try?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Pam have you still got the cha Very Happy ins?

pam w,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy