Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Global Warming? Schmobal warming...

Poster: A snowHead
carled wrote:
He didn't deny it was accurate... Laughing

He probably only replied to your question, "did you write it?" - answer "no", but these guys might have.
Ask him if it's accurate, and he'll need to see all the facts, then compare it to his!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW the owner of the weather channel in the US does not believe in global warming, he makes some of the right wing nutters over here look sane, he thinks the whole global warming thing is a conspiracy theory
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just emailled NASA and the Daily Express. Can't wait to see who gets back first!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've emailed NASA now to ask the same question. If a black van suddenly shows up here and I get taken away, remember me...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, I love it when a plan comes together.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tim Sawyer, shut up fool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CANV CANVINGTON, "I ain't getting in no plane..." cos it just makes global warming worse.

Shall we stop now?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For anyone who thinks the sun just might be the controlling factor of our climate and not a very slight change in atmospheric CO2 levels the message board on this site has plenty of reading. http://www.solarcycle24.com

Obviously it's biased towards people who worship the sun but to be fair some of them can certainly pour scorn on the 'it's all CO2 and our fault brigade'. If they're right we could see some drastic cooling over the next couple of decades or so snowHead snowHead , I suppose time will tell in the end.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Question: If ice is three times the volume of water, and 7/10 of an iceberg is under water, then if the ice caps melt, shouldn't the the volume should go DOWN? Puzzled

(Answers in 12 words or less please.)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mdemon2, there's a difference between melting sea ice and melting land-based ice-sheets such as those found on Greenland and on the Antarctic. Melting ice-sheets leads to sea-level rise, melting sea ice doesn't. A lump of sea-ice displaces a volume of water equal to it's mass, when it melts it will fill that volume exactly, so no net change in sea level.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh god.. I think the glove technique thread needs some revisiting. If the day after tomorrow syndrome does kick in I'm sure going to need some practise with that Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hoppo very clever I love the way people worry about see ice why bother you cant ski on it any way OR CAN YOU Puzzled Would that count as a first descent if you ski an iceberg? You could get first and last decent all at once Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordhan wrote:
worry about see ice why bother

There is a reason to worry, or at least to consider it. That's because ice reflects the sun's rays into space, whereas open ocean absorbs most of the energy falling upon it, warming itself and the atmosphere. So, warming by whatever cause is amplified by the process of sea-ice melting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, But (forgive me for being denser than ice Embarassed ) didn't the OP state that sea ice had in fact returned to it's previous level?, and haven't a number of posts stated that over the globe as a whole ice has not in fact declined?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan, maybe - I'm merely pointing out that that the amount of ice on the sea is a cause of the climate as well as an effect.
ski holidays
laundryman, understood, effectively the quantity of Sea ice 'amplifies' any effect of warming or cooling through positive feedback. In which case, if the OP etc are correct, then the presence of greater quantities of sea ice indicates that cooling is taking place and does itself lead to even greater cooling. Maybe we should be worrying about the next ice age (again) Shocked
latest report
AxsMan, the world is actually a hell of a lot colder than it was this time last year. But don't ask me where it'll be at this time next year!
latest report
AxsMan, the amount of ice in the Arctic hit a record low (compared to previous years minima) over the summer. We're now in the winter and the amount of ice is still relatively low compared to the same point over the last 30 years but obviously much higher than it was at the summer minimum. The interesting question is whether this summer we'll see a minimum which beats last year's summer minima, which some people say is likely because a significant "tipping point" has been passed, or whether we'll just see a relatively low ice extent (compared to the last 30 years) but not as low as last year. There is some betting on this, and the people I trust more on this issue are in the latter camp.

(I found the Cryosphere Today website quite handy for ice extent measures: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/ )

IPCC 4th Annual report suggests that the total amount of ice in the world is decreasing (See Chapter 4: http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_Ch04.pdf - watch out it's a 9MB PDF!)
ski holidays
Global warming is gods punishment to the human race for allowing Snowboarders to exist Shocked so go out and kill some boarders and it will start to snow Twisted Evil
snow conditions
The "official" Met Office global temperature data for January has just been published. According to their figures, January was the coldest month globally for 14 years (since February 1994).

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/

BTW, the graphs on that page may well overstate the cooling trend, since the last bar represents one month only and not a whole year.
snow conditions
Turns out that the Daily Express can't confirm their source, and NASA haven't replied.
So, is that proof that the report is correct or not?
latest report
Well make the most of the fairly mild conditions in Europe this year if this trend continues and Europe catches up with other areas of the world very cold conditions may be on our way in a year or two's time. We might just be heading towards a very cold period, perhaps we should be careful what we wish for wink .

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm
ski holidays
I remember Davidof reporting on the fact that Mont Blanc "Doubles its size" due to the increased thickness of its icecap.

Found it - http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0751-mont-blanc-doubles-in-size/

So all in all, this so called global warming could turn out to be a bit of a mixed bag...
ski holidays
The key thing about Global Warming is:

It is (or is not) GLOBAL.

Studies recently indicate that GLOBALLY the planet is cooler in the last few years.

What we may be experiencing is not Global Warming, but Regional (or perhaps Hemispherical) Warming.

We can't say...it hasn't snowedin Europe for a couple of weeks = Global Warming, when it has been snowing in Athens, Israel, Saudi Arabia (!) etc.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
We can't say...it hasn't snowedin Europe ... when it has been snowing in Athens

That's certainly true. wink

...and I agree with the rest too!
snow conditions
Sould I have put Northern and / or western Europe wink
snow conditions
It annoyed me a lot last year when news reports were getting climate change (to whatever extent it is happening) mixed up with weather, and basically blaming lean snowfalls on global warming.

When we get cold temps and lots of snow, it never gets reported as global cooling, but I guess that's because global warming is the current media darling and sells newspapers...

Quote:

We can't say...it hasn't snowedin Europe for a couple of weeks = Global Warming, when it has been snowing in Athens, Israel, Saudi Arabia (!) etc.

Hear Hear!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy