Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching Older Beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Although i teach plenty of middle age beginners I have signed up to a specific over 50's course.

Any tips, fun drills, memorable things that you enjoyed from previous courses.

to kick off I loved phillipstantons "italian soldiers" drill as a non PC ice breaker, any other good ones?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, A PL with a retired major... started like this;

Me 'What would you like to achieve today ?'

Retired Major 'Well, I learned to ski 40 years ago, and haven't skied for 20. I came here last week, went straight to the top. Half way down I realised I've completely forgotten how to turn'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which course is that?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, at MK they do a over 50's two hour session for nervous novices... Dy B usually does them but is on holiday so i thought i would give it a crack.

26th 10-12 if you fancy it...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, at MK they do a over 50's two hour session for nervous novices... Dy B usually does them but is on holiday so i thought i would give it a crack.

26th 10-12 if you fancy it...

If I can get there I'd be happy to help out. I'll find youtou at MK if I'm there
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, i find i get older people that like explaining exactly how good they used to be, the runs they used to do in great detail but have forgotten everything and will be really bad today and get completely wound up before they ski...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, Have fun ! It's one of the (type of) courses I used to enjoy doing. Lot's of talk tho'
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, yeah it does seem that all they want to do is avoid skiing and just chat... also seems they like to be in a close group all the time, get lots of detailed instructions, ask loads of questions and then go one at a time, not comfortable making laps..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would imagine that by the time you have explained how equipment has changed over the years and answered all of their in depth question there won't be too much time for skiing! I guess that if you can get them away from the feet clamped together very upright stance you will have achieved something.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, is it total beginners or varying? I'd still class myself as a nervous (or perhaps a better word now is cautious) novice, even though this last week I have made lots of progress, so wondered if you'd appreciate my 'five eggs'. For me the most important issue always has been to do things at which I can succeed and which encourage me to relax. In my first ever lesson, as I was coping fine with stopping, the instructor decided to throw a lightweight plastic ball to me & ask me to throw it back. This was very useful as it made me take some of my concentration off the skis and made me laugh too. Every time I ski, I like to start and finish with something I know I can do confidently - it serves as a warm up for both mind and body and as a good note on which to end. I also wonder if, (though folks could be reluctant at first), it would be good to do some warm up exercises at the bottom of the slope (while the chatting's going on!). Our instructors in Vallandry did some of this involving walking around on skis, turning, gentle poling, bending knees, standing on one ski and little jumps on the spot and I feel my slightly more aged muscles probably did benefit!

There was also one specific ski exercise I did that I found really hit the spot in trying to coax me away from my trusty snowplough - see my "Cooee I'm back" thread.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, thanks will have a look...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One thing I remember from my first week of lessons as an adult is my French instructor advising us that a good stance to adopt was as if we were "Taking your laidee from be'and.". Possibly not 100% PC, and I'm not sure how helpful the analogy was for the female members of the class; offers were made to explain in more detail, but I don't think that they came to anything. I don't know whether the stance is correct, but it has stuck in my mind (to the extent that I always try to remember how to cruise down a blue when I'm taking my laidee ... no, better leave it there).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 25-02-08 18:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, depending on what school of thought you are coming from as an instructor, and if they are complete beginners, when getting them to slide try "head shoulders knees and toes". It may sound rediculous but get them doing it-they'll love it. (Not as an over 50 myself but as an instructor...)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, Laughing Laughing

Nice variant of 'shag not poo-poo' Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hmmm the >50's was great fun, not at all what i expected as i thought it was billed as beginners and nervous types. Turns out it was a coaching session and ranged from "regulars" who are good skiers and come weekly to several who hadnt skied for years and were very tentative....

only hickup was having two of the strong skiers (both ASSI's) doing javelins and watching with horror as a couple beginners tried to have a go assuming that was what the "group" was meant to do Shocked fortunately no problems but i needed to shout a bit loader with instructions after that Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

my French instructor advising us that a good stance to adopt was as if we were "Taking your laidee from be'and.". Possibly not 100% PC, and I'm not sure how helpful the analogy was for the female members of the class

probably OK as long as they didn't interpret it as adopting a stance as though being "taken from be'and", which would be all wrong.
ski holidays
Quote:

Turns out it was a coaching session and ranged from "regulars" who are good skiers and come weekly to several who hadnt skied for years and were very tentative....

doesn't sound like a great formula for a group - if the only common factor was that they were over 50 this is a bit discriminatory. Next week, all black skiers, maybe? Must have been quite a challenge to teach.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

my French instructor advising us that a good stance to adopt was as if we were "Taking your laidee from be'and.". Possibly not 100% PC, and I'm not sure how helpful the analogy was for the female members of the class

probably OK as long as they didn't interpret it as adopting a stance as though being "taken from be'and", which would be all wrong.

Definitely, and wrong for so many reasons in a lot of cases. It's a distinction I try to bear in mind at all times.
snow conditions
richmond, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

doesn't sound like a great formula for a group

I had initially misunderstood and had assumed a was a group lesson but it is just a come along 2 hour coaching session with a special slope rate. It worked just fine and everyone enjoyed it...
snow report
They do a similar session on Thursday mornings at Tamworth - they all seem to enjoy it. The ability seems to vary hugely - some are beginners just learning for the first time, others are clearly pretty competent skiers, others are all levels in between. Equipment and clothing varies in vintage too!

I can't join in until October, when I'll be 50. Hoping they'll do a veteran race club!
ski holidays
Just lie about your age and keep racing the young guys! I've seen you ski, you're well up for that.
snow report
Kitty, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I think you get a free cup of tea and biscuit too....

...oh dear, I must be getting old, that sounds appealing!

Of course since I work at the Snowdome on Thursday mornings in the gym, I won't be able to do it anyway Sad
snow report
docsquid, I qualify for the tea and bics already, and it is appealing!
ski holidays
docsquid, Tam have just started advertising a monthly session for the more advanced wrinklies too. Cas are supposed to do a session every Monday called the MMM (More Mature Members club) for which there's a small annual sub and at which there is supposed to be an instructor available for "casual instruction". However the last time I went the place was fairly quiet, with a few folks sporting MMM labels but no instructor to be seen.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy