Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to this resort? I've booked a long weekend there from next Thursday, and to be honest I'd never heard of it before.

What's the apres like? And how far into the Milky Way can I get in a day?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I worked there about 10 years ago, so this is a bit out of date...

The apres ski is pretty quiet - there are a few bars and there were 2 nightclubs. Nothing too exciting. These things can vary from season to season though. Hopefully someone will have been there this year.

Milky Way - hmm. Claviere - very easily. Sestrieres, Sauze d'Oulx etc less so. To get from Claviere into the rest of the Milky Way you have to get a lift down to the bottom of a valley and then another back up again. There and back - so this eats into the day quite a bit. If you really go for it you can make it to Sauze d'Oulx and back in a day. I can't remember if I ever did Sestrieres and back.

To be honest, if it's just a long weekend you might as well stick with Montgenevre and Claviere.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alan summed it up pretty well really - quiet place on top of a high pass. Not particularly attractive, but better than the purpose-built monstrosities. The skiing's ok though, plenty for a weekend, and the snow's pretty reliable. There's snowmaking all the way to the resort now on the north-facing side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's someone who runs a property in Serre Chevalier, which is just down the road from Montgenevre who used to post on the SCGB forum regularly about the conditions in that area. Lynn I think it was.
Did she come over? She was very helpfull.
I've only skied there on a day trip, it had some wonderfull tree skiing as I remember. It was a 30cm powder day as I recall. Sweet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there last week with Flexibreaks, had a fantastic time. No problem getting to Clavier and San Secario(excuse spelling) it is possible to get to Sauze and Sestriere, I know you can bus back from Sauze if needed. If you are going with Flexibreaks they do organised runs to all the resorts with transport back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm also going with FlexibleBreaks, so it looks promising!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The weekend I left they had organised a ski to Sauze, lunch then helicopter back to Clavier and then ski back into Montgenevere. One couple in the chalet skied to Sauze and back in a day. I didnt bother as have skied Sauze a few times and more than ample skiing to keep me going for 4 days I was there. Take plenty of neurofen as wine flows very freely. Hope you have a great time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Lindsay. Wow - helicopter back sounds great. Was that expensive?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cant remember the amount but it seemed reasonable to me. I did a trip from San Secarieo to Sauze last year in a chopper and it was a great buzz, has got to be one of the best way to see the resort. Have fun, let us know how you got on next week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did a day in Montgenevre in early Jan, and there's plenty for a long weekend. The Southern French Alps have seen some superb conditions this year, and I gather the area is still grrrreat.

Montgenevre struck me as a pleasant village, but not overly lively if a party town is what you're after. That said, a few of the restaurants and bars looked OK.

MarkP - it's Lin Davidson - I can't remember, when we met, whether she was a member of the SC, so I'll drop her a line and point her over here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Mark. You can't beat on location up to date info!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not seen Lin on the other place either. We are off to her apartment in April, benn to Serre Che a few times but not to Montgenevre, althought it looks OK when we pass through on our way from Turin.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lin's hubby Chris is registered her (See apartment thread)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Helen - well worth going over to Montgenevre. You can do a day there on the Grande Serre Chevalier list pass, but you need to go to the top of Montgenevre town (where the obelisk is) where the "pass office" is located. It is also worth mentioning that you plan to do a day when you buy your pass in Chantemerle.

They have a different system in Montgenevre and the two are not compatible. You also only get to ski the French side of things, but it is still worth it - there are some good long runs and the views at the top are quite something. Takes about 20 mins by car to get there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry Mark, I disagree. Lose out on a day in Serre Che for a day in Montgenevre? No way!! Unless the snow's a problem in Serre Che.
snow report
Normally I'd agree alan, but much as I lurve Serre Che, having been there 4 times, it's good to get out and explore. And I think Helen's been a few times as well.

Any particular villages/restaurants/places you have a particular liking for?
snow report
I love it all, Mark.

My first ski holiday was to Chantemerle and I've loved the entire area ever since. I also worked 2 seasons at the Frejus hotel in Villeneuve. Bars? I used to enjoy the Yeti in Chantemerle and the Lievre Blanc in Villeneuve. Very happy memories of both - well, partial memories at least! Never went out in Monetiers or Briancon really.

There's a couple of restaurants I like but I've got no idea what they're called. There's a little one tucked out of the way in Monetiers about half way down the mountain - really friendly place. Also, a largish restaurant just off a red run between Villeneuve and Aravet - Echaillon maybe? We went there in the summer once, walking over the mountain from Briancon and trying to figure out where the restaurant would be without lifts and pistes to guide me. Beautiful - we were the only ones there.

I just love the entire area - it remains my favourite. Just wish the snow was more reliable. And that I was going this season!
snow report
Yes, Mark you're right I have been a few times. Skied a day in Sestriere a couple of years ago, as snow was better than Montgenevre for some reason. Alan- I think you mean Peyra Janua(?) in MOnetier, also not usually had a probelm with snow either, maybe just been lucky.
snow report
My first ski holiday there as well - also to Chantemerle as it happens. Was out there in Jan and went out with bro in law one night after everyone else had retired. Snow was falling, had a stroll down through the old part of town and then "fell" in the Yeti - my how trashed we were when we left well into the morning!

Quite like the food at Le Troll at Serre Ratier. Will look out for some of the others next time we're there - and there will be a next time Very Happy

The snow there this year has been stunning - just wish I had the time for another visit Sad
latest report
Just to keep you all in the know... we've had more than a foot of fresh snow overnight in Monêtier [Serre Chevalier 1500] and it's finally (?) just stopped snowing, just an hour or so ago. And we didn't even need a top-up thanks to the amount of snow that fell in January (ok, it's nice to have it though!!) Hello to everyone who knows me - hope you're all well and coming out again soon!
snow conditions
Hi Melanie, glad it's snowing, hope it keeps good until April
ski holidays
Got back last night from a four day break in Montgenevre, so I can now answer my original question! The resort is small and compact but not unattractive (as I've seen mentioned elsewhere). It's a friendly place, and not overrun with Brits. The apres is quiet but acceptable (Le Graal was the best place). Stayed at the Chalet Plein Sud with FlexibleBreaks - can definitely recommend them - friendly without being "in your face", and the chalet itself was completely refurbished. They did run a few trips but I didn't go on any of them.

Now the important stuff... The skiing area is ideal for beginners and early intermediates, and there are a few decent runs for the more advanced. I found the best runs were the three blacks on the Chalvet side of the valley (which is the smaller ski area). They were steep and covered in powder Smile Skiied Claviere completely in one day which is a pretty easy area. Lots of drag lifts over there too. There was plenty of snow the whole time, with powder skiing on two days. Both Montgeneve and Claviere have lots of picturesque tree-lined runs, which adds to the pleasant ambience of the whole area.

In summary, an excellent resort for beginners/intermediates, and an acceptable one for better skiiers. Not a party town, but still fun.
ski holidays
Nice report xyzpaul Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy