Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Death on Tortin

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
A man in his 70’s fell down Tortin and died after hitting his head on a rock

Full story http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5446
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, it really is looking rocky at the moment. Poor man.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, the photo the SCGB have used is of somewhere the other side of the mountain. It shows the path down from the Col de Gentianes to Cabane du Mont Fort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very sad ... but when I'm in my 70s ... respect to the man for being there.

.. but surely that isn't Tortin in the pic ????

Gstaad has had 2 deaths to date this season ... younger folks by far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was he with a Ski Club rep?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Toofy Grin sick but Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother wrote:
davidof, Toofy Grin sick but Laughing

Well it didn't say in the article. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a sad coincidence that another skier in their 70's was killed on Saturday in Nendaz VS. According to Valais newspaper Le Nouvelliste, he slid for 250 metres, hit his head on a rock and died at the scene.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helmet?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At least they died doing something they loved.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely not Tortin in the photo.

He wasn't skiing with the rep that day. By some strange co-incidence I had dinner with the rep that evening. He had seen them giving the guy CPR on the slope before the chopper came in. It was the third day in a row that we had seen choppers scooping people up off Tortin...

By all accounts it appears that the poor chap had a heart attack and was not involved in any accident.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought death was solely the job of el hen Skullie

Sad news but like said above I hope I am still out there skiing when 70. Respect Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks parlor, I wondered, given his age, if something else might have been involved. That said I think there have been a couple of head meets rock fatalities on Tortin in recent years. One does wonder why the SCGB writes these articles without all the info, it's not as if their members expect them to be first with breaking news
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
By all accounts it appears that the poor chap had a heart attack and was not involved in any accident.

Sorry, I should make this clearer. It may have been the head injury that killed him but we think he had a heart attack first that made him fall.
ski holidays
RachelQ, Absolutely - 'do not go gentle into that good night' and all that - terrible shock for the family and friends though - condolences to them. Also, to be fair, the life expectancy of a 70 year old is another 15 years or so so maybe its octagenarians we should envy pegging out on the slopes.
ski holidays
Yes, of course the photo wasn't Tortin Embarassed . I assumed it was a funny angle and didn't look closely. Can't actually remember any rocks on Tortin (though sometimes some stones, of course).

Yes, only 11 seasons and I'll be skiing (or not) at 70. Puzzled Assuming I'm alive of course Skullie
snow report
parlor, Tortin in tough nick at present, big icy moguls - the old boy probably died of fright Crying or Very sad
snow report
Not a great couple of weeks for Verbier

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5464

Just spoken to my OH who is out at the moment, she saw someone choppered off Mont Gele today who didn't look in a good way, and apparently someone was ambulanced out of the Farinet apres ski as well last night.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed soon Sad
ski holidays
Wow,

That is pretty frightening - we skied Tortin & Mont Fort last week - kids had helmets but not the wife and I - don't want to open that debate again, but certainly makes me think.
snow conditions
Fairly sure that we saw this guy from the Chassoure lift as we passed over. The medics had dug out a platform around him and were clearly in a serious situation.

Very sad news indeed, however I stand by my comments on the Verbier Snow Reports thread for last week: the snow on Tortin was chalky compacted powder, not icy. The moguls were not big, and if you arrive-and-go (and do not go on the traverse to skier's right) there were no rocks to contend with (which there are loads of from that traverse).

Tortin needs respect, but not fear.

My profound condolences to his family and friends.
snow conditions
Quote:

the life expectancy of a 70 year old is another 15 years or so so maybe its octagenarians we should envy pegging out on the slopes.
most definitely. I would be delighted to peg out on a slope, but not yet. One of my neighbours, who had been an Olympic dinghy helmsman in his time, a lovely man, died in his late '70s having had a heart attack whilst out with a friend, inspecting moorings. He was sitting on the stern and fell in the water. It was the way he'd have wanted, but not much fun for his almost equally elderly companion who had to rope him up and tow him into the quay, then telephone the man's wife. Still, better for all concerned than a long lonely journey through dementia.
snow report
pam w, just substitute another activity (golf) and this is exactly what happened to my father. Horrible shock at the time, but exactly the way he would have wanted to die.
snow conditions
....and substitute another: Grouse Shooting....a chap I met once some years ago died a couple of years ago in his 80's out on the moors.
His sons were there and after much thought they decided to carry on with the day as it was their father would have wanted.
ski holidays
pam w, Blimey... this is getting a morbid thread... Let's hope we all keep both hands firmly on the old mortal coil for a few more winters yet Smile

Re Tortin... I'm an expert - having skied it once wink On that occasion is was flat as a pancake with a foot of fluffy powder on it and seemed easy. But a guy behind me fell, lost a ski, and to my amazement he completed the rest of the run, 100 yards or more, on his back, picking up quite some speed, so I would have thought a fall in current conditions (reported to me as big icy moguls, but that sounds like it's an exaggeration) would be serious if the same thing happended and the much-discussed noggin-protector would be worth having just in case the helterskelter ride got a bit too exciting.

As for the Farinet... I imagine that was a reveler falling from a table made treacherous by having 43 litres of beer, blood, vomit & semen spilt over it in the proceeding 15 minutes spoo
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Thought death was solely the job of el hen Skullie

Sad news but like said above I hope I am still out there skiing when 70. Respect Cool

snow report
bh1, Laughing hee hee... that gets me everytime....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

vomit & semen spilt over it

I'm not sure what you get up to in the Farinet, but tell me when you are planning to be in there so I can be elsewhere Shocked
ski holidays
BGA, Saturday 1st to Tuesday 4th March. I'll also be bouncing down Tortin like the punter I am so you'll probably want to give that a miss too Very Happy . And give the King's Parc a wide bearth, and that caff with the beetle in, and Dannys around 4.00
snow report
red 27, so noted. Worringly that's all the places I go to. I shall look out for a trail of beer, blood, vomit and semen and avoid accordingly. Just spoken to OH, apparently it looks like it's about to snow so you may be in luck. She said the conditions on Tortin and MF are a bit ropey at the moment though
latest report
red 27, can you send me a message when you're finished with my tab at Kings I want to try and get it in my accounts for March. Thanks.
snow report
BGA, I'm actually a pipe & slippers man, tucked up by 8.30 every night.... My one time in the Farinet was an occasion that will remain indelibly etched on my mind Shocked spoo So traumatic was it that I still avert my eyes when passing the god foresaken place. I prefer the bar in my hotel... Leather sofas, log fire, lovely friendly staff to bring me drinks, and always the soothing sound of the happy chatter of my fellow euro-trash guests... lovely... (need a new word...)

parlor, Laughing You have a good memory! It was 1500CHF minus the real tip of 10CHF right? I should be done with that by about ...er... 9.00pm on the Saturday. Pop in! the Caviar Daquaris will be on me wink
ski holidays
Oh Christ-on-a-bike.... Verbier is utterly ghastly in season...

January, powder and peace, March bedlam! I'll do a report when I've got more time, but it's made me question the sense of coming to big resorts in peak time Crying or Very sad
snow report
Did you ski yet, or is it just the CHF 100 steak (and I'm guessing a CHF 200 wine selection) that's proving unpalatable?
ski holidays
James Cove discusses skiers skiing closed runs in the Tortin area. Quite an eye-opener.
snow report
Alan G, The latter my friend... great days skiing with our pet instructor today (sigh). Skied the Gentianes internerie, where my companion had a few wobbles but was OK.

bonkers hot out here though, all had turned to slush by 2.00pm so we settled for a long lunch.
I heard Tortin described today as 'Not closed, just very quiet' wink ...too bumpy for me though thanks. Shocked
latest report
achilles wrote:
James Cove discusses skiers skiing closed runs in the Tortin area. Quite an eye-opener.

Rope-ducking seems to be a Verbier speciality. I recall seeing an official instructor taking a class into a closed area near Lac des Vaux some years ago, literally lifting the rope for the class.

I imagine it voids any insurance if there's a mishap.
latest report
David Goldsmith... maybe... I guess I agree, but for anyone who climbs or skis in Alpine situations 'open' and 'closed' are other peoples assessments to be taken on board as part of ones own (hopefully) expereienced judgement of conditions and risk... there are no guarantees.... open does NOT mean safe!

If you mean you get more reckless skiers in Verbier than elsewhere I'm not widely travelled enough to comment.

interesting area for debate/discussion...

snowHead
snow report
Tortin was rather nice yeserday,

fortunatly no "Great ski club of Britian" punters to be seen wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy