Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adults vs. kids - skiing lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Why aren't adults taught through the same skiing 'curriculum' as kids when they first start out? I've had lessons since I first started and have never been taught the same exercises that teach the useful stuff such as skiing on one ski, going backwards and 'skating'. Sometimes I try out things 'just to see' and some of the skills seem useful - so why the difference? Do adults learn that differently? Surely you all end up needing similar skills?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kids: "Wow, that looks cool, I wanna do it. Can we go backwards, jump off that bump, race each other straight down etc etc"

Adults: "Ooo er what if I fall over and hurt myself, what if I go too fast, what if I can't stop, what if there's a grizzly bear behind that bump etc etc"

QED
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, they are taught the same curriculum, but in ways which are relevant to them. For example, wot that QED bloke said.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, from my experience of trying to part some nervous adult skiers from their damned poles for half an hour, suggesting they go backwards/on one leg/upside down would go down like a ton of hot sh*t.

However, people who have had private lessons with one particular instructor, in our resort, have done some of those things - we always try to book him, if possible. He's also worked on trying to get people more mobile - moving their arms around, for example, rather than clutching their poles like their lives depended on it, one inch from their hipbones.

Yes, you're right, I'm obsessed with poles, and their unhelpfulness to adult beginners!!

Also, I suppose, adults are just not used to being "taught" and more worried about looking daft. I have had problems, also, trying to get people to follow me down the hill doing those Saturday Night Fever turns. The fact that I have music blasting in my ears does help, of course. Plus, I'm too old to bother about not looking cool; gave up on that years ago.

But you're right - more structured, focussed teaching, where you only get your "badge" and can go up to the next class when you'd "passed", would be a Good Thing. It would stop those people who can't do parallel turns on blue slopes, let alone red ones, putting themselves in a Class III with ESF! I suppose the punters just wouldn't put up with it -being told to repeat the beginners class!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I did a basic ski instructor course a few years ago (csia level1) and they taught us that kids of different ages need to be taught using different methods because different teaching methods work optimally at different ages in children. For instance, kids who are below a certain age don't like competative games whereas slightly older kids positively thrive on them. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst I have Witherell's book out, how about this quote:-

"Ski technique should be natural, comfortable and spontaneous. There is no "correct form" or "proper position" that all should copy. People who teach skiing, whether instructors, coaches or friends, too often demonstrate "correct positions" which become static when forced on others. Spontaneity and dynamic motion should be stressed at all levels of ski instruction. Skiing should be as natural and unselfconscious as walking or running.
Skiing is play. We learn and perform best when we're having fun, exploring and experimenting. Learn to play with your skis - to dance on your edges, to feel the snow, to create turns in a variety of subtle and imaginative ways. Sing when you ski. Dance to different rhythms. Be delicate one moment and powerful the next. Be forever curious about the variety of responses you can generate between your skis and the snow. Ski fast, catch air, and laugh often."
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, I like the quote very much.

I must admit, perhaps not adults would respond similarly, but I favour the progression approach. Teach me the first steps, let me really master them then teach me something else. I guess this is the way that I'm learning, but it is not a tick box approach. This is where lessons in English help - maybe then the progression made in the teaching approach can be explained
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, great quote!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy