Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very Cold Hands - Need New Gloves/Ideas

Poster: A snowHead
I have poor circulation which has got worse over the years. Last year I tried those disposable heat packs inside my ski gloves however they only warmed my palms and not my fingertips, which still remained cold despite the heat.

Can anyone recommend heated gloves, have you tried them, do they work on fingers and thumbs?

Also, unfortunately, my feet suffer but not quite so much. Any ideas much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried mittens and inner gloves?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you wear on your head?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some things to try:

1. silk inner gloves
2. wear sweat bands over your wrists
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear silk gloves inside mittens - much warmer than gloves
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heat pads inside the gloves worked a treat for me at Christmas. The £1.50 a pair from Milletts type. They are slim enough to go into the palms of your gloves and still grip a pole around them.

Don't fight it.... Razz

CD.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Despite spending the best part of £100 on some super-duper Gore-tex gloves that only got worn once (when being tried on!), Mrs NBT now uses mittens with inner gloves as Mosha Marc suggests and finds them brilliant.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisdavis, did you read the OP? karenhenry has tried the heatpacks you suggest and they;re not good enough
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

karenhenry has tried the heatpacks you suggest and they;re not good enough

I am not a great sufferer from cold hands, but I also find that if I use the heatpacks in gloves, the fingers are too isolated from the warmth, and can stay cold. I find it best to wear mitts, so I can curl my fingers round the heating packs on lifts. For me, that solves the problem. Also, it's best not to hold on to the bar on button lifts; they conduct the heat away from hands very quickly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your suggestions.

"What do you wear on your head?"

Anything I can get my hands on that morning Very Happy

I have some mittens, which didn't seem to do the trick. I think I'll try some silk inner liners with them and see if that makes a difference. Thanks Moshamarc, sallywt, kitenski and nbt
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
karenhenry, I think that Wear The Fox Hat was alluding to the fact that most of your body heat is lost through your head, therefore wearing good headgear can warm up the extremities of the body Try wearing 2 hats snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
karenhenry,

I suffer from this problem too and I have finally found a system that works:

LikeWear The Fox Hat, I believe you need to keep your core temperature up with a woolly hat which covers the ears.

Then a set of Icebreaker thermals - expensive but well worth the money. (plus all your other breathable layers and outershell)

And the only system that I have found keeps my hands warm (I do not use heated hand warmers any more):

£60 Patagonia Mittens

And the REAL inner warmth comes from a pair of woolen mittens (from Monsoon/Accessorize of all places) worn inside the Patagonia gloves: http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/19829073

I have discovered that this system is great if you ever have to take your gloves off cos the Monsoon gloves have the little caps on them so your hands stay warm when you are scrabbling around for change for the cafe au lait/rootling for your chapstick on the chairlift etc.

If you don't fancy splashing out on the Patagonia gloves, maybe just try putting the monsoon gloves inside any set of mitts as a cheaper starter?

Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh but you need to make sure that the inners of your outershell gloves are mittens and not finger gloves (all of the burton/dakeine etc ones for this season are Mittens with finger glove liners - so the monsoon gloves don't work inside)

Looking at the link to the Patagonia website - it doesn't say whether the liners are mittens or finger gloves so you will prob need to go to a shop and try them on rather than order online)

In fact I bought my Patagonia ones in Chamonix 2 seasons ago and they were £80 so I'm not sure these ones in the link are the same?? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only gloves I have had that I never had cold fingers with were Ami Chaud ones, but not sure where you can buy them now, if at all. Keep your core and head warm and your hands and feet will follow. If it is a medical problem though, it can be helped with medication
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh look these are a bargain - and not children's ones this time!

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/19206377

Blush
latest report
Freestyle wrote:
Oh look these are a bargain - and not children's ones this time!

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/19206377

Blush

And these ones have more wool % so are warmer....I've just ordered some more myself! Laughing
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I had Ami Chaud gloves too many moons ago, I have never seen them since. They were great. Mine were white with tan brown leathery palms. Unfortunately I put them to dry one night on an agressive heater and they got scorched and melted Sad They ended up with a big brownish hole in the outer. karenhenry, I replaced them with a decent pair of gloves and suffered badly with cold fingers even with silk inners. So then I got a pair of Phoenix mittens (approx £40) and I wear them with the silk inners and I am fine. You can get silk or similar inners cheaply £7 ish at Decathlon. Wear a nice warm hat too. Also if feet are a problem consider getting a set of Thermic footwarmers expensive but worth it. I stumped up for them after being stuck on that antique 2 man chair in Cervinia at New Year, it was stopped in horrid conditions and I was colder than I had ever been. I thought i had lost my feet Skullie Next hols Thermics fitted, Mittens and silks I was right as rain. Very Happy
snow report
sarah, funny, but I have got Pheonix gloves now too. I still have my Ami Chauds, but they're a bit worn now.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, long live your Ami Chauds! If I had known how hard it was to replace them I would have patched them up somehow snowHead
snow report
Does anyone know if they still exist?
latest report
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LADIES-AMI-CHAUD-SKI-GLOVES---DARK-RED_W0QQitemZ330212163036QQcmdZViewItem . Far too large for me though, mine are XS size.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, those ones are good, right size but bad colour though for me Sad The embroidered Ami Chaud on mine was a bit different I think, perhaps mine were truly ancient!
ski holidays
nbt, I could bluff about intending to recommend handwarmers inside mittens - to let the heat circulate more around the fingers etc etc. It would clearly be BS - as I obviously hadn't read it at all rolling eyes .

I respect you all far too much, and I'm off to re-read all other threads I've replied to today........ Razz

CD.
snow report
I tend to suffer from cold hands (quite painful at times), so this year invested in a pair of Dakine mittens with inner gloves, certainly worth the effort. Didn't have any problems at all. The gloves were quite snug, but the mittens themselves were, if anything a lttle on the large side, but I think this helped but providing a bit more of an air gap around my hands.
latest report
TK Maxx were selling Ami CHaud gloves earlier this season. Not sure what's left - certainly when I last went they had very little left for men but quite a bit of women's ski gear including Patagonia ski jackets!. If you DEFINITELY want some then tell me your size and a maximum price and when I next go I'll pick them up if they have any left - but I don't want to buy some only to be told you don't want them.... Don;t ask me about colours though as 1) you can never guarantee what TK MAxx will have and 2) I'm a bloke, I only see in 16 colours and I can never work out whether things "go" so I just buy what fits Smile Smile
snow report
Quote:

I think this helped but providing a bit more of an air gap around my hands.

Yes, I think this is quite important. I can't wear tight gloves anyway, because my hands suffer a bit from arthritis. Biggish mittens also leave space to curl hands round a warming thing. I think I might see whether my local TK Maxx have any of those Ami Chaud gloves - my husband got some super Millet ones there earlier, but they didn't have a lot of choice.

I think I'm going to start wishing hard for cold hands, looking at the rain currently forecast down the line...
latest report
karenhenry wrote:
I have poor circulation which has got worse over the years. Last year I tried those disposable heat packs inside my ski gloves however they only warmed my palms and not my fingertips, which still remained cold despite the heat.

Can anyone recommend heated gloves, have you tried them, do they work on fingers and thumbs?

Also, unfortunately, my feet suffer but not quite so much. Any ideas much appreciated.

Get a pair of mitts a size too big and wear a pair of fleece gloves inside them, work great for me.
A lot cheaper than silk also.
latest report
Low alpine / North Face silk Thermal gloves, and good water proof gloves over them never fails. THe thermal gloves are designed to hold heat so put them on the radiatior before you leave in the morning and this will help.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, which branch? I am a bit of a TKMaxx junkie Embarassed and have been in Manchester Fort, Handforth and that one over the motorway from the Chill factore recently and not seen any of the Ami Chauds. To be honest I am probably ok with my Phoenix mitts now, just getting a bit nostalgic last night! TKs seem to be clearing everything out now in all branches so there's very little left but if you happen to be very lucky there are some good bargains. I bought a childs suit for £40 for my son for next year, same suit is £120 in Snow and Rock, last year's colour but so what it's nicer than this year's. If it had gone into clearance it would have been even less but I liked it so much I bought it at £40 and luckily I have not seen them still around and in the sale. I got a Smartwool base layer top for £14 last week and a pair of Columbia trousers for £20. Hubby is delighted that I seem to be saving us so much money Little Angel
snow conditions
sarah, Either Handforth or Stockport, can't recall which - but quite probably saw them in both when the ski gear first arrived. Handforth didn;t have any of the smartwool stuff in my size by the time I go tthere though Sad
ski holidays
Try rubbing petroleum jelly into your feet. I used to do this when playing football and it always kept my feet warm. Don't know how well it would work for hands.
snow conditions
Our TKMaxx has nothing left in ski stuff apart from a couple of jackets in clearance.
snow report
Auclair leather gloves are *obscenely (my spelling gets worse as gap year progresses) warm, as are Hestra. I've got Hestra's and have been toasty down to -32 ths year. Niiiiice.
snow report
karenhenry, I have some toastie new gloves, goretex but down-filled which seems to make all the difference

http://www.snowlife.ch/

I got them at a local ski shop in Sussex (not sure where you are) They may do mittens and think might even do heated gloves, try Google search...
snow report
Gordini make some very warm gloves and mittens, also with down and "Lavawool" (proprietary fiber). When i bought my gloves i tried one of their "warmer" model and they were much wamer (felt that after 10 seconds in the shop, my hands were too warm). Didn't get them as i thought they were too warm. I have a pair of Goretex Gordini gloves, they are of high quality and are helding up good after 2 years.
http://gordini.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=564&Itemid=5
snow report
Has anyone checked out a new Heated Glove Liner Called "Vaso" ? it says it is the most effect in stimulating blood flow (the loss of which causes cold hands).
ski holidays
I wore my new merino wool thermals for the first time acoupleof weeks ago.They have longer cuffs with thumbholes. My hands were warm even in the coldest weather, so perhaps i have solved my problem.
snow conditions
Camski, *sings* spam, spam, spam, spam...*sings*
snow conditions
nbt, perhaps, but no url there yet.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Camski had made two posts when I added mine...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy