Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old school to carvers Urgent advice neded!

Poster: A snowHead
Finally been persuaded to change my old school Salomon Equipes for a pair of Apache Recons
Please, advice is now needed on how I change my ski technique to suit the carving ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ntfarmer, it was (still is, in fact) a fairly painful process for me. Lessons made it happen for me, so maybe get a couple of private sessions to look at your technique and make sure you're using the new kit to its best advantage?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,
Quote:

(still is, in fact) a fairly painful process for me

oh bloody hell, if it is for you, what hope for the likes of me? Gloom. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Point Arss to Mountain and Head to valley apply pressure to relevant ski and let gravity do the rest Toofy Grin Funny had an race trainer last year who punished us for 3 days and we went on a cruise of the resort for a day and he was doing it on New Saloman Aero's (top carvers) But was doing it old skool so dont think you need to panic just yet
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

(still is, in fact) a fairly painful process for me

oh bloody hell, if it is for you, what hope for the likes of me? Gloom. Sad

I have many bad habits ingrained after too many years of skiing like this. I returned to ski school after a break of about 10 years without any instruction and it felt like starting again. But the effort is worthwhile. Not only do I ski better, but I enjoy it more.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, yeah, me too, except that I maybe had just a smidgeon of daylight between my skis in the old days! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Lovely suit and red sunglasses Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ntfarmer, Feet Apart. Tilt both skis over using ankles, knees. Let ski run along length. Job done.
snowHead

Recons aren't too difficult to ski on (new or old skool). The key things (for an old skooler) seem to be feet apart - using both feet, and sloooooow down the start of the turn
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitty wrote:

Umm, yes. The '80s were generally a crime against ski fashion and seems to have instilled a sense of the lurid in me which has stuck Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ntfarmer, The most useful bit of advice I got ( I think from GrahamN ) was to widen my stance. At first I had to physically push my knees apart and it felt really strange but soon got used to it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski wrote:
and sloooooow down the start of the turn

That's the key for me. Don't snatch at the turn, just let the ski do its stuff.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ickabodblue wrote:
ntfarmer, The most useful bit of advice I got ( I think from GrahamN ) was to widen my stance. At first I had to physically push my knees apart and it felt really strange but soon got used to it.

A good exercise for that is to wrap a short bungie cord around your thighs so that it falls down if your legs get too close together.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what i dont know is do you deweight the skis or not as with old shchool you would move weight down the edge as you go through the turn from tip to tail or with carvers do you keep weight over bindings,

secondly if you are only doing small changes in direction under the turn radius of the ski are you reliant on the tip and tail becouse today on hard pack and ice i seemed to loose the edge a lot quicker than i do with old skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
A good exercise for that is to wrap a short bungie cord around your thighs so that it falls down if your legs get too close together.

wink I bet you say that to all the girls! Laughing Laughing
latest report
ntfarmer, You don't need to unweight them. You can let the pressure move backward through the turn - but (hopefully) you skis are a little shorter, so not so much chance to do this. More important is to re-centre your hips over the skis (i.e. a move forward along the length of the ski) in preparation for the new turn.

Quote:

secondly if you are only doing small changes in direction under the turn radius of the ski are you reliant on the tip and tail becouse today on hard pack and ice i seemed to loose the edge a lot quicker than i do with old skis.

Hmm - I think you may be asking a bit much of the ski at the start of the turn. Slow what you are doing down, and make sure the first movements are to get the ski on a edge rather than to rotate it anywhere.
ski holidays
I'm trying to transition too and made some progress (I was pleased anyway!) last weekend after reading other threads here. The bit that worked best for me was advice about picking a slope that you'd be happy straight-lining and start off like that. After you pick up a reasonable amount of speed move both knees sideways together (from a wide stance) towards the side you want to turn to, engaging both edges. It's not a dramatic movement though. Hold it like that and let the skis run.

I'll let others explain the transition - I'm sure I've not got that yet

This was the one tip that got me the feel of what its meant to be like - and it's great.

I had big radius, stiffish skis and found I was going quite quickly quite soon so pick a wide, quiet piste!

I watched the local kid race school starting off runs like this (down slopes I'd be thinking about side slipping!)before flicking into the carves and it was a joy to behold. Good luck snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks for the above.

One question i forgot to ask was weight distrubution in the turn on each ski. Do you try to put even weight on both or are you still favering the downhill ski.
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:

That is very intresting as when letting the skis run i did still revert back to skis as close as boots would allow.
ski holidays
ntfarmer, Still favour the outside ski. Helps to have enough pressure on the inside one to have it work for you tho...
snow report
Quote:

At first I had to physically push my knees apart

a tip that worked for me was to imagine a football between your thighs. Shocked As it's an imaginary football it doesn't trip you up as effectively as knicker elastic round your ankles though.
snow conditions
OK so who ever did ski with their feet together?

This was filmed in 1989, so please excuse any slight A framing wink Old style straight (and pretty crap!) Atomic skis, rear entry boots. No problem.

Ho hum.....
latest report
Yoda, ahead of his time was Ali. Saw him in Tignes earlier in the season - he looks younger now than he did in that video!
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:

Ho hum.....

From day one of learning back in the did and distant past thats what we all strived for.

Coinsendantly i still think it looks better. But then again i still ski in match sticks.
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:

This was filmed in 1989, so please excuse any slight A framing wink Old style straight (and pretty crap!) Atomic skis, rear entry boots. No problem.

Ho hum.....

Had a chat with Ali Ross this morning and mentioned the above clip. He recalled it immediatly and even new which ski suit he had been wearing Shocked It was filmed for The Sunday Times/Channel 4 ski programmes.

Ali is still an insperation and a lot of 'young guns' could learn a lot from this 'old dog' wink
snow report
stewart woodward, next time you see him I'd be grateful if you would pass on my best wishes (Alan Craggs - he might remember skiing with me a few times in the 90's wink ). He was the one who said the skis were carp by the way Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Kitty wrote:

rob@rar You are Sir Elton John, and I claim my £5
snow report
ntfarmer, If you're talking about going from the old long planks to modern carving skis I can report that my Swiss friends have just done this - they said there was nothing to it and by about the 3rd turn they couldn't tell that they hadn't been on them all their lives.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, AKA Reg Dwight from Pinner Laughing
snow conditions
I'm sure I had more hair than Reg.
snow report
Megamum, maybe they were just applying there (perfect?)technique on the new skis - cos skidding turns will still work. they might not be carving the third turn. Or they may be complete naturals.....? snowHead snowHead
latest report
Yoda, I skied with Ali in January and he didn't like my Vokl 724s and sold me his Salomon X-Wing Tornados! I didn't think anyone would be able to do much with my skiing but Ali did! Still a great teacher.
ski holidays
Just an update on the move to carvers.

The second day started with the hire of a slitght longer Apache Recons.

You can ignore the comments about holding the edge on hard and icey slope. It was my tecq. not the skis.

I have to admitt that they were a joy to ski on olthrough it did take a little getting used to the inhearent insterbility of the skis.

What did surprise me the most was the weight of the skis themselves. I also took advantage of a dynostar (sorry for spelling)ski test and was given a pair of "speed" skis, They said they were a 80% piste ski.

hopefully going out again later on. Any surgestion of other skis to try as as stated above little knowage of carveing skis. I like all sorts of sking from piste, mogals to off piste.
snow report
ntfarmer,

Quote:

used to the inhearent insterbility of the skis

Apache Recons Puzzled Tell us what you mean.
snow conditions
ski, As ntfarmer is probably out feeding the cows, I'm sure he won't mind me answering. He was told that the 'science' behind the Carving parabolic ski is that they are inherently unstable and thus always wanting to turn.
ski holidays
ntfarmer,
Quote:

hopefully going out again later on

Cool
snow report
boredsurfin, OK thx. Might have some tips for that.
ski holidays
ski wrote:
ntfarmer,

Quote:

used to the inhearent insterbility of the skis

Apache Recons Puzzled Tell us what you mean.

What i ment was as i put the skis straight with the require distance apart (CEM req.) they seem to chatter as i asume they are trying to get on to the edge. This may be just my weight distrubution is not quite right or more time required on this type of ski to learn to control them correctly.

But at the end of the day i did enjoy them esp. on the steeper and icey slopes. Hence the request ref other skis to try.
snow conditions
ntfarmer, Ahhh.. that would be the tips of the ski chattering ? Weight distibution is probably the issue - you need to get more presure on the front of the ski (flex ankles a bit more and move your hips forward). As the tip of the ski is (much) wider that older straight skis, they are a bit more senistive to lumps and bumps when going straight, but 99% of the time it's just a case of pressure on the shovel of the ski. The other thing to do is not to go straight - continuously linked turns are the way to go Very Happy

As far as other skis go...if the snow is soft try a fatter ski (Apache Outlaw, Comba), if the snow is harder try a narrower, shorter, ski, but Recons make a great 'do everything' ski IMV.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy