Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC resorts (not Whistler) last week in March

Poster: A snowHead
This is similar but not quite the same as another thread on here, but do not want to go to LL, Banff or Whistler so I thought I would post another thread!!

We (family of 4 with the kids being youngish) want to go away for a week for spring break which is the last week in march and are considering:

A Silver Star / Big White combo (probably our first choice as there is tubing and skating for the kids- but will these be open?)

A Fernie/ Kimberley combo

Other options such as Big mountain etc

We live in Calgary and have done the Banff resorts and Panorma and we will have done Kicking Horse.

I am slightly concerned about the conditions. Will it be all spring snow slush? Or will it be amazing , sitting outside for lunch? or rain?

Any tips, ideas welcome

Thanks

Gryphea
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gryphea, Big White traditionally closes after Easter, not due to lack of snow but lack of customers. We were there last year mid-March and conditions were good, not spring slush though the pistes were a bit hard (Big Whiteans called it 'icy' rolling eyes Toofy Grin ). Conditions for that time of year are normally better apparently. I think the ice rink was closed as it was a bit warmer than normal but the tubing was still going.

I haven't been to Silver Star but can certainly highly recommend Big White and it would be especially good from the kiddies point of view - those 'in the know' also speak highly of Silver Star.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big White and Silver Star have their last day skiing this year on 6th April. Tubing will almost certainly be open, but skating probably not: we've been there at Easter previously and the rinks have started to melt: Silver Star's is a natural pond so you want the ice to be a decent thickness.

But there are lots of other activities for kids (and adults!): see http://www.bigwhite.com/home_showSection_ID_186.html and http://www.skisilverstar.com/home_showSection_ID_108.html

We'd strongly recommend both for a family ski trip - this year we think was our tenth visit. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-02-08 18:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and yes you'll probably be able to lunch outside: at least if it's not snowing and you are in the sun. But piste conditions should be okay - there are some south-facing runs at SS which tend to go out of condition but they only short ones, the majority are well shaded from the sun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can wait then follow the Fernie Snow Report thread from 1st March onwards as I'll be out there for 2 weeks and can let you know how it is snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sharkymark, but suitable for kids? Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you decide on Big White, we could offer you a good deal on our apartment there. It's the ideal size for a family of 4.
See my signature for details.

I agree with the comments above from cathy and RobW. It's a great family resort and the snow is likely to be still pretty good. We were still skiing fresh powder in mid March last year, but we did get spring conditions too at the end. The ice rink may be touch and go and was closed last year by late March due to inconsistent temperatures.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, there were loads of 'em over New Year. Despite Fernie's reputation, it's got a fair variety of greens towards the base and a large nusery area near the restaurants. I agree that Big White is probably more suitable, though I've not been there myself Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys - thankyou all so much.

We are still leaning towards Big White/Silver Star as we have a week off and it seems worth making the trip for. Fernie on the other hand looks brilliant too- we are maybe thinking of an RCR season pass next year and so it may make sense to go there next year. We tried to go to Fernie the weekend just gone, but it was family day and they wanted $460 for a one bed condo!!

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Quote:

uktrailmonster

your apartment looks fab and we are seriously considering it for the 3 nights you have left in that easter week! Is the gondola open at night?

Quote:

RobW
- clearly you like these resorts, 10th visit- they must be good!!

Quote:

cathy

- thanks Cathy

Quote:

Sharkymark
- can't believe you are off there again. Slightly worried about rain at Fernie so late- have you heard any bad rain stories? Think Fernie will be good for kids- have looked at map and it looks fine. Both did well at Sunshine yesterday. 3 year old did well on 3 different chairs! Think we may do Fernie next year in a definately dumpy snow time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gryphea wrote:

your apartment looks fab and we are seriously considering it for the 3 nights you have left in that easter week! Is the gondola open at night?

Thanks, I'm sure you'd have a great time. RobW and family stayed there last week and we're off back ourselves for the first 2 weeks in March. We can offer you a snowHead discount on our advertised rates too. Yes the Gondola is open until late at night. It also opens very early in the morning well before the other lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Both did well at Sunshine yesterday.

Hi gryphea, any reports on snow/weather/queues at Sunshine, I'm flying out on Friday for 11 nights.

Sorry to go off topic, but I couldn't help myself when I saw that you were there yesterday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gryphea, I'm just back from Silver Star and can thoroughly recommend it - it has a good range of runs for all abilities. The tubing is great fun Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
Quote:

Both did well at Sunshine yesterday.

Hi gryphea, any reports on snow/weather/queues at Sunshine, I'm flying out on Friday for 11 nights.

Sorry to go off topic, but I couldn't help myself when I saw that you were there yesterday.

Well Monday was a partial bank holiday here, but it was pleasantly unbusy at Sunshine. We didn't queue for Gondola up. The day lodge at lunchtime was far less busy than other resorts on a sunday. The snow was great- but we didn't venture onto anything tricky as it was family day here and so we skied all day with our 3 yr old and 5 yr old. I didn't hit one icy or really hard packed patch all day and I had done at Lake louise the day before. The weather is quite warm here at the moment. On sunday for the first time in Alberta (we have been here since End Nov) I didn't ski with neckwarmer and/or mask. In fact people were eating out on monday.

I think all these Banff resorts fill up on saturdays and sundays as loads of people come out from Calgary. Think the long term forecast is for snow towards the back end of your stay. The thing about albertan weather though is its unpredictable!!

Have a great time!!

Gryph
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info, Gryphea

Good to hear the mild weather isn't affecting the trails too much.

Just checking the forecast, it's looking mild till the end of the weekend then colder and snowier toward the middle of next week onward, so hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds, some warmer days to ease us in, then some powder to play in.

Which area would you say is best for avoiding the weekend crowds, Sunshine or Louise?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster,

Wondered what the snowheads discount is? Am just waiting for my usual bookers to come back with stuff for the days before at Silver Star

Gryphea
latest report
gryphea, For 3 nights, we could offer a special rate of CA$220 per night + 5% GST. Our standard rate (which is already very competitive) is normally CA$240 + 5% GST.
It's a very nice apartment for that price range I can assure you.
snow report
gryphea, my Bro (PhotoTim) is out there for the season and says conditions are very good. It's rained in the town but snowed on the hill. It's been a little mild but with a 3.5m base and up to a metre more than most other Canadian/BC hills they ain't too worried Toofy Grin
ski holidays
uktrailmonster,

Hi UKtrailmonster - we will take your apartment for the 3 nights spare at the end of your season there. How do we book through your site given the discount? How do we get the keys, just through the main resort people?

Gryphea
ski holidays
gryphea, That's great, many thanks. Just book directly through our website, but only pay the booking deposit rather than the full amount. I can then apply the discount to your account before you pay the outstanding balance. When you book just add a note regarding Snowheads, so I know it's you.

It's keyless code entry to the apartment, so you won't need keys unless there is a problem (very unlikely). As a back-up our apartment manager has a full set of keys. We'll send you all the details on booking.

Hope you have a great time, we're off there on Saturday for 2 weeeks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
uktrailmonster, you're in Canada for 2 weeks from Saturday? Me too...should be epic snowHead Cool . Would be interested to know what the conditions are like where you are snowHead
latest report
uktm, Have a good time. Hope they've fixed the pool by now.

But don't expect the Cliff to have re-opened (I was thinking of asking for a discount on our season pass since 1/16th of the lifts were closed - but for some reason I don't think they'd have agreed).
snow report
uktrailmonster,

OK I'll book tomorrow!

We have 4 nights in Silver Star beforehand.

Should be good, but we are spoiled here!!!!
snow report
gryphea, No problem. We're travelling out there on Saturday, but I'll still have internet access once we get there. Hope you have a great time in both SS and BW.

RobW, Cheers, I'm looking forward to it. I've just had a look at your photos and it looks like you had great snow, as we did over Christmas. The forecast for the coming weekend is pretty good too after a lean week. I'm not expecting the Cliff area to open again this season until they fully investigate the cause of that avalanche. But there's always the Powder Chair to rely on for access to some good steeps Very Happy

Sharkymark, No problem. Have a great trip to Fernie.

<START_J2SKI>
<c>
<You>
<You>
<This>
<To>
<table>
<tr><td><iframe>
</iframe>
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
</td></tr>
</table>

<END_J2SKI>
ski holidays
I definitely recommend Big White and Silver Star, have been to them a few times, always enjoyed. not sure when they close though. I have heard good things about the new resort at Revelstoke, and have planned a trip there in 2 weeks time.
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
uktrailmonster, you're in Canada for 2 weeks from Saturday? Me too...should be epic snowHead Cool . Would be interested to know what the conditions are like where you are snowHead

We've been here 3 days now and it hasn't stopped snowing the whole time. A light dusting on Sunday, a mini-powder day on Monday after a 10 cm overnight fall and today a truly epic powder day Very Happy Woke up to a 30 cm overnight dump of light dry powder and still snowing fairly heavily all day. Looks like it's going to be fairly sunny for the next few days, so tomorrow should be perfect groomers.
snow report
uktrailmonster, 20 cm of fresh overnight here leading to huge excitement following 3 weeks of nothing. I'm being worshiped as a Snow God by some due to my uncanny knack of appearing at the same time as snow. Looks like you got the better of it in Big White.
ski holidays
We've been pretty lucky so far, but I think that's it for snow this week. Next snowfall is forecast early next week. But can't complain, the base is back up over 250 cm now and conditions are looking good for a few days of sunny skiing and still plenty of fresh powder among the trees.
snow conditions
Yeah, the forecast for Fernie is predicting "more significant precipitation" for early next week too. Fernie lost half a metre of base over the dry spell which reduced it to 3.07m. Damn, it's gonna run out soon Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bluebird day today and still pockets of fresh powder to be found, especially in the trees. The place was completely deserted too, which was nice. It was also slightly colder than predicted, so the fresh powder stayed light. There was just a little windblown crust up top, but still soft enough to ski easily. Where the wind had blown the powder over, it was almost like fresh tracks again in places. When the sun got on it in the afternoon, it did start to become a tad heavier, but I'm being fussy now! It's supposed to be getting warmer for the next few days, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.
snow report
Sounds similar to here (see "Fernie Snow Report" in Snow Reports...). Found some crust about 0.5in thick on the exposed stuff. It's still great to ski on though and it won't get too hard either if it stays warm. It's great to see the sun out in Fernie too; the ski hill tends to hold the cloud. Fingers crossed for next week snowHead
latest report
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

gryphea, That's great, many thanks. Just book directly through our website, but only pay the booking deposit rather than the full amount. I can then apply the discount to your account before you pay the outstanding balance. When you book just add a note regarding Snowheads, so I know it's you.

It's keyless code entry to the apartment, so you won't need keys unless there is a problem (very unlikely). As a back-up our apartment manager has a full set of keys. We'll send you all the details on booking.

Hope you have a great time, we're off there on Saturday for 2 weeeks

Hi UKtrailmonster

hope you had a great trip. Sorry this has taken so long, been sick, new job, skiing etc! Finally got round to booking the 3 nights, weds 26th onwards and as its short notice it wants the entire payment and so I can't seem to get the discount?

Gryphea
snow conditions
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

Hope you have a great time, we're off there on Saturday for 2 weeeks

Hi UKtrailmonster

hope you had a great trip. Sorry this has taken so long, been sick, new job, skiing etc! Finally got round to booking the 3 nights, weds 26th onwards and as its short notice it wants the entire payment and so I can't seem to get the discount?

Gryphea
snow conditions
Hi gryphea,

No problem. I've now adjusted the rates for those nights (down from $240 to $220 per night), so you can now just go ahead and book as normal.
Hope you have a great time, snow conditions have been excellent over the past 2 weeks. Base is currently at 255 cm with fresh snow. Sadly we're now back in the UK Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy