Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice Airport-Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
For various reasons, when we go the SC in January, we are taking a Sleazyjet flight to Nice. I've put the journey into AA, RAC, Michelin and my car's Sat Nav, but I get conflicting advice from them all. The AA take me via Turin, Michelin through Digne-les-Bains, and the Sat NAv somewhere completely different. I have friends who drive through Serre Che on their way south to Provence, but they suggested their route might be closed in the Winter months. Help. I am chief navigator for the journey as we will have a hire car.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen, I'm pretty sure a lot of the route will be closed, I've driven that route in summer and lost count of the cols over 2600m. I think your your best bet is via Turin. Whatever way you go you're in for a lot of driving I'm afraid.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax, I know, but my alternative was a drive down to Stansted and a flight to Turin, which was aslo a lot of driving!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, use the Sat Nav, then you can't be held to blame if Mr B gets you lost.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, the only problem is it's in our car, and that will be in the car park at Newcastle Airport!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen, have you decided on a route?. I am doing the same trip in Jan and had the same question. I thought Grasse/Dignes looked o.k. I can't see antyhing on the road map that is as high as 2,600 mts on that road. If you go by Turin, you still have to cross Montgenevre which is at about the same height as anything I can see taking the French side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fran, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fran, I've driven the route in summer and there is no way I'd attempt it in winter. The Italian alternative is much easier and quicker.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fran, when I checked on Michelin, there are a couple of points with 'snow-chain' 'symbols. I know the road through Montgenvre, and as it's a major pass, it's kept clear and welll gritted. David@traxvax, thank for backing up my thoughts on this. Now all I really need is a flight to Turin from Newcastle.
Fran, if you do take the Dignes route, get snow-chains!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you definately want to fly into Nice then I would take the A8 autoroute to Aix en Provence and then A51 up to Gap...then onto the N94 up to Briançon.

Viamichelin.com says that autoroute route is 304km and the Dignes backroads route is 282km...so it's going to be a lot quicker on the autoroute.

PG is right though Turin is much closer at about 108kms and the Col de Montgenevre is very rarely closed. I would get snow chains though in case sods law kicks in.

As I am based near Puy Saint Vincent, just 15minutes South of Serre Che, you could take at look at my website which has a lot of travel info on it for this area. http://www.alpsun.com wink

Hope this helps.

pete@alpsun.com
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petel, cheers. As i say, we dont' necessarily want to fly into Nice, but it's our best option as we have a long drive in the UK otherwise, and would rather drive in France/Italy . We could have flown to Geneva, but would have needed another overnight stop due to the flight times. Not sure I'd wnat to cross the Col du Lauteret in the middle of the night !!!! Just exploring all our options, and Nice was the best of them. Ryanair are flying to Bergamot form Newcastle, but not until the end of February.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd recommend the West route mentioned by petel, (although I don't know the Italian side at all).

I live down in Seignus d'Allos and the Col d'Allos is one of the routes that you might take in the summer but, along with most of the others, is closed in the winter. Anyway, it's a very slow road.

Like petel, says the back road up from Digne is a bit minor - we drove down that way a couple of weeks ago when we were in no hurry but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Best advice - bin Serre Chevalier and come to Seignus instead Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I drove that route last March. I took the pass from Turin. It was snowing at the time and I needed the chains but it wasn't bad.

I would definately recommend that if you need chains then to make sure you put them on in the car park before you leave the airport. You don't want to have to learn that they don't fit / you can put them on at 8pm half way up a mountain in a freezing cold snow storm

I have driven to Dignes (on the way to Tignes) last Jan and that too wasn't bad. However I was in no hurry and I didnt mind taking my time. I didn;t need the chains that time but you would definately need them in the car in case.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Diarmuid, keep an eye out on the weather for me if you're down there. !!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen, we went down to the coast in September and recommend the trip via Gap. It is 4.5hrs and costs 22 euros in tolls. Driving through Montgenevre in January you will definately need chains, and the police will check if you have them, but on the Gap road it is unlikly you will need them.
latest report
ben wright, can't bin the idea I'm afraid, we have a contract to sign for our apartment!chris, cheers. I had begun to think that was the best option anyway, but was more familiar with the route via Montgenvre.
snow conditions
You know, I keep thinking that this thread is going on about what a nice airport Serre Chevalier has. Confused
Sorry, pointless post. Carry on...
latest report
skanky, and I thought it was so much nicer...................................in NICE!!!!
ski holidays
Helen

we did GENOA to serre che last year. the route turin - SC via montgeneve is OK. you MUST get snow chains though, it bucketed down the day we left, and our dreadful hyundai whateveritwas had no chance without them. £30 for them I think.
snow report
Helen,

Don't know the area really, but on www.mappy.com you can select routes without mountain passes.
snow report
cardweg, thanks I'll have a look.
snow conditions
OK it's now only a week away, as I think there are loads of roadworks between Turin and the Milky Way, I'm thinking about the Provence route via Aix-en-Provence, Sisteron and Gap. As we land in Nice around 11.30am we would like to stop somewhere for lunch, Any suggestions ?
latest report
Helen go up to Mougins it's on the way to Grasse so it's only about 25 - 30 mins from Nice via Antibes. Have lunch at the Almondier in Mougins village, it used to belong to Roger Verge, top French chef now retired who alos owned the Moulin de Mougins, mega expensive but wonderful. We used to have an apartment in Mougins so we know the area very well and Le Almondier is one of our favourite places, beautiful location in an old olive mill with wonderful views across the Baie de Cannes. Alternatively Le Petit Prince in Cabris near Grasse, again a terrific restuarant with a Prix Fixe menu that's superb value.
snow report
David@traxvax, cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy