Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor recommendation for off piste for Lech (or St Anton)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. We've just booked up for a week in Lech flying out 8th March. Husband (advanced skier) thinking of having an off-piste lesson to help him progress. Can any Snowheads recommend an instructor? Otherwise, as Lech pass offers a day pass over to St Anton, then this resort is a possibility for a lesson.

The problem I see is not knowing how the off piste conditions are until you are out there, but maybe needing to book ahead as they may be booked up already.

Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would throughly recommend Piste to Powder in St Anton. My kids had a couple of days with them, in the person of the boss, Graham Austick, last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Group outings are also avaiable. This year we had a day+ with a chap called Christoph from the Arlberg Ski School (he has an identical twin brother, also an instructor there, which might narrow him down). He was great, and spent a lot of time off piste with the kids, but not quite in the same league as PtoP.

Unless it snows between now and then (no sign) the off piste will be a bit horrid, but it was like that last year and the kids had a great time.

BTW, although there may be a local pass in Lech, the main pass covers Lech, St Anton and all points in between. An advanced skier would almost certainly want that. You can't ski on piste between Lech and St Anton, but there is a bus link and a cab is not out of the question
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, Thanks for your response. I'll make investigations with PTP and the Arlberg ski school to see if it's worth booking anything up in advance or waiting until we get there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beverley, the ski school was very busy last week, as you'd expect, but I guess you might be OK in March (although the schools employ more instructors in the busy times - our chap has a marketing business in Vienna and does a few weeks instructing when he feels like it - alright for some). PtoP is quite small; I suggest booking, although they might be able to fit one person in OK.

My experience of PtoP is limited, but I (and more to the point, the kids) thought them excellent. Very well organised, excellent safety briefing, including some transceiver practice, good judgement of ability. That's not to say that the ski schools aren't just as good, of course, but the atmos at PtoP is of people who take their guiding and instructing very seriously indeed. BTW, the Arlberg Ski School offers specifically off piste group courses, €88/day IIRC, and I daresay the St Anton Ski School and the Lech Ski School do too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beverley, You'll find Lech ski school has groups that go off-piste (I think groups 3a and 3b). For private lessons, Gerhard Sauter (bookable through the ski school) is a really good teacher (imo). Where are you staying? We're there between 2nd and 9th March, staying at Hotel Salome in Oberlech (best goulash soup on the mountain).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks again for all this info. The Arlberg school would be better as we are staying in Lech. We are staying at the Hotel Lech/Chesa Rosa. If anyone knows any bad comments about it then keep them to yourselves! - though all the reviews have been good and my hubby likes the girl who models the bedrooms rolling eyes .

I'll email Arlberg school and see what they suggest. I think my husband is thinking of a private rather than group lesson.

Thanks again for your help.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been in touch with Lech Ski School and don't know if this is of interest to anyone else who might be going that way. Their private instructors are all booked solid for the week we are there (8-15 March). However, apparently, if you turn up at their offices between 9-9.15am in the mornings and take a ticket you can join a group class for €52euros for 4 hours.

So we are going to go along on the Monday to hopefully join an off piste group. As were are pretty basic in off piste techinque I'm sure it will be fine for us. I think this sounds good. No? Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beverley, sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

I'll second Richmond's recommendation for Piste to Powder based on a recommendation from Admin - not personal experience, more's the pity, though I hope to return to St Anton next year and find out for myself.

Good luck with it all. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy