Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oz en Oisans / Alpe D'Huez - - advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - we're travelling in a group of 7 to Oz in early April. Two of us are relatively experienced snowboarders but the rest are all absolute beginners...we want to make sure they have a great time and come on holiday with us again, so we'd like some tips on the following:

(a) will the LOCAL (Vaujany/Oz) lift pass be sufficient for the beginners for the week, given the time of year?
(b) any thoughts about the quality of lessons in Oz
(c) local creche for 6 month old - is there one?!

Thanks in advance! Laughing
Rachel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead RachelS, I can't help with your question but I know there's a few round here that can, I'm sure they'll be along shortly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had a week in ADH, can only answer Q A for you: I was not aware that there was a local pass pass which only covers OZ and Vaujany, but if there is it will be adequate for beginners, the uplift from Vaujany in the 2 stage cable car is by far the fastest in the whole of ADH. The runs back to Vaujanay might be hard for the novices especially at the end of the day.

For the 2 experienced boarders the La Face (Black) piste is the best run in that area, do it in the afternoon just as the sun gets onto it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another point, unless you really are experienced don't feel compelled to do 'The Tunnel'. The moguls on this piste must be a nightmare for anything other than an advanced boarder.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a) I would say not - the beginner slopes at Oz are icy as a very icy thing, particularly at that time of year. Bit grim for beginner boarders. More choice/better conditions in the main beginner area at Alpe d'Huez.

b) and c) No idea, sorry.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would agree with Lizzard, because of where the slopes face they get no sun until later in the day and therefore will be hard to ski on and rather cold too. In the main bowl of ADH the nursery slopes are vast and sunny.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelS,

Oz is a great place .. I have stayed their twice. It's very quiet but pleasant. Can be extremely cold due to lack of sun but in April it'll be fine.

(a) will the LOCAL (Vaujany/Oz) lift pass be sufficient for the beginners for the week, given the time of year?

Yes, it will be enough but ... In April ice won't be such a big issue but the snow cover is likely to have gone from the beginners slopes in Oz. It's very likely the lessons will be in the Vaujany area at the top of L'alpette, which is really nice and a good place for meeting up for lunch.

The staff in the ticketing booth speak really good english so it's worth asking many questions ... the downside is that ADH is a great place for non-skiers to get around and to experience the mountain beyond their ski level. With a full area pass, they can use the extensive gondola system to meet for lunch almost anywhere on the mountain.

(b) any thoughts about the quality of lessons in Oz

I know people who have had lessons and no complaints.

(c) local creche for 6 month old - is there one?

There is a great creche near the lifts to the top of L'alpette which takes babies from 6 months onwards.

Try: www.vaujany.com and www.oz-en-oisans.com for more information.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel. I'll second the bit about 'the Tunnel'.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic, thanks all! Any more thoughts much appreciated, but in the meantime it seems that we've made a good choice for a mixed ability group...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rachel

a) I`d go for a pass that entitles you to ski/board on the runs above ADH (I think that would entail getting a pass for the whole area). There is a large selection of wide, shallow greens in the `bowl` above ADH - perfect for beginners and those gaining in confidence. These runs can be accessed directly from Oz (via the Poutran gondola). The Oz/Vaujany pass is a bit limited - and the the runs are slightly harder (but still v enjoyable) than the runs down to ADH. I would imagine that if your friends are having lessons they will need a pass covering the whole resort. Also a full 6 day ADH pass will entitle you to 2 days in Les Deux Alpes.

b) Lessons are pretty good. Our kids have been plonked into Oz ESF (skiing & boarding) for the last couple of years. Never any problems - quite the reverse.

c) There`s a creche which takes kids from 6 months. Don`t know what its like I`m afraid.

Oz is rather nice. It has a small but ok supermarket, a boulangerie (get there by 7.30 am or join the queue - it also does takeaway pizzas in the evening), a couple of good bars (La Potee is our favourite - next door to the supermarket, the Ozzie Bar and La Causerie are fun too) and some reasonable restaurants (Poutran, Fermee d`Oz).

There are q a few good mountain restaurants: Les Airelles on the blue run down to Montfrais (Les Travers ?); L`Alpette (bottom of green section of Alpette); La Grange (by gondola leading up to Dome de Petites Rousses); Perce Neige (just down the green `Lutnis` from Poutran I); La Bergerie (at bottom of Petit Prince) and the resturant at the top of Le Signal.

Have a great time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelS,

I think you'll have a great time. Our kids learnt to ski there and had excellent tuition from ESF - classes were never that big, perhaps because Oz was not as popular a base as Vaujany or ADH. The green at the top of the ALpette is fine for beginners but I agree with the other comments about it being a bit limited - there's much more space above ADH and it will give the beginners real confidence. The complete lift pass gives you access to the swimming pools as well which may be a factor - the one at Vaujany has a great slide if you've got kids older than 6 months!. The long run from the top of the huge cable out of Vaujany, which you can pick up from Oz via the Alpette, "Dome des Rousses" down to the "Enversin d'Oz" is great (I speak as a skier but am sure it's good for boarders too Smile ) Enjoy yourselves
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Oz as a mixed ability group a couple of years ago in March

a) The Oz/Vaujany pass was fine for the total beginners - this pass includes use of the two drag lifts up the middle of the greens at the top of ADH - but do agree that the runs back to Oz are liable to being very scratchy and not good for beginners. ( The chair which is easier needs the full pass though)

b) Tuition with ESF was excellent and as said above small small classes

The vaujany side is lovely and Les Oreilles is a mountain lunch not to be missed.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it`s Les Airelles Smile and I completely agree.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi I am asking a similar question found a perfect chalet inOz for next Feb but worried about skiing back from Alp Dhuez; can you get a chair back?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a gondola you can use to/from Oz.
ski holidays
We go to OZ three times a year every year. Our little'un (just turned four) is a regular at the garderie, and I have to say, it is second to none. Eldest son (7) has 90% of his skiing education in Oz, and is now doing his etoile d'or.

Oz is a resort that is specifically built around families. The ESF in Oz are very much run with children and families in mind and are absolutely superb.

We are quite experienced skiers now, and we probably spend 80% of our time skiing on the Oz/Montfrais/Vaujany side of the mountain, simply because it is so nice.

We are back there for our fourth week this season at Easter. Maybe we will see you there one day. snowHead
snow report
The bare facts:

6 day adult lift pass:

Oz-Vaujany - 161 Euros
ADH - 248 Euros

Pistes:

Oz-Vaujany
22 lifts
75 km of skiing on 41 ski runs:
12 green runs
14 blue runs
12 red runs
3 black runs

ADH
80 lifts
250 km of skiing on 135 ski runs:
42 green runs
37 blue runs
39 red runs
17 black runs

If they are absolute beginners the Oz-Vaujany may well be sufficient. if they are having lessons check with the ski school anyway.
ski holidays
@RachelS, I can highly (highly!) recommend private lessons with Monica at VO Coaching - our kids learned to ski with her last year and she was excellent, and we have friends who have had both ski and board lessons with her and got on very well.

If you were to do a whole week's tuition, I would hazard a guess that they will need full area passes, to ensure the instructor can get them onto suitable slopes. To be honest, i think that to miss out on the rest of the mountain for the sake of £50ish for the week would be a shame. The skiing on the Oz/ Vaujany side is lovely, and seems to hold the snow well in the sun, but there is some great, high skiing at AdH which they might be able to manage by the end of the week.

You'll have a fab time - Oz is a real favourite spot!
ski holidays
@rainman, this thread is 7 years old!
snow report
@Arno, I seem to have fallen into a wormhole!! Embarassed
snow report
hello, sorry cannot work out how to post a new post.....can anyone tell me if it is possible to get from Oz en oisans in the evenings to Alp Dhuez via a cable car or does everything stop at tea time? If not is there anywhere to eat in Oz thanks
ski holidays
warbis66 wrote:
hello, sorry cannot work out how to post a new post.....can anyone tell me if it is possible to get from Oz en oisans in the evenings to Alp Dhuez via a cable car or does everything stop at tea time? If not is there anywhere to eat in Oz thanks

No you can not.

There are a few restaurants in Oz itself.

To submit a new post go to the board you wish to post on, for example "The Piste" and click on "Start New Topic" just below where it says "snowHeads Forum Index -> The Piste"
snow report
me again: off to Oz on Saturday and now thinking I should have lessons....various recommendations on this post but would i be better to have lessons in Alpe Dhuez or Oz? Although i have been skiing x 5 weeks i am rubbish as my legs always hurt so i need someone who wont make me work too hard!
snow report
We've had really good experiences with the esf Oz ski school. Meeting up is easier if you pick the Oz one. Private lessons - for mornings, it's often not possible with esf. For private, try Barbara @ Active, she's very good.
Enjoy!
snow report
I just returned from a week in Oz en Oisans. My friend and I shared private lessons on six days which worked really well. If you are skiers I really recommend Masterclass for lessons at any level. They are a small ski school with only three instructors and give very personalised instruction. They were happy to meet us at the top of the Poutran lift each morning which helped avoid us having to rush down to the main part of ADH.

They do run group lessons too for a reasonable price, so this might be a good option if a few members of your group are at exactly the same level.

In terms of ESF vs smaller ski schools, it really depends on what you are looking for. I knew that I would benefit from having no communication barriers so I prefer a native speaker of my language, and I've found the smaller schools I've used to be very patient and great at confidence inspiring. In any ski school you do get bad and good instructors so maybe it's just my ESF experience that was below par. The members of my group who did ESF group lessons in Oz this week enjoyed them.

Regarding lift passes, I think it's definitely worth getting the full area pass. Alpe d'Huez has a brilliant selection of green and blue runs, and you really get to travel around the mountain instead of just being limited to one or two nursery slopes. The area of Auris also has beautiful runs, and you get to take the "scare chair". wink
ski holidays
+1 for Masterclass. The ESF groups when we were in Alpe d'Huez were huge.
snow conditions
I've a question that I'll add to this thread seeing as it's been brought back to life. How flat are the beginner areas in ADH? I'm off there next month and will no doubt be spending some time in these areas with Mrs Hound. Thing is there's nothing worse than a totally flat piste for me on my snowboard. I need to get this right as my wife hasn't skied since I took her down a red in PDS several years ago and some idiot snowboarder rear ended her. Just bruises fortunately but it certainly put her off for a while.
latest report
@Snow Hound, There is a big selection of easy pistes in the central bowl around the town. there are some so flat your board would not slide down by itself up to a blue that should be a red and reds that should be blues. The only one with a long flat runout is the piste under the troncon / dmc but if you went for it you would not have to walk and you could wait for her Smile There are lots of places further afield where there are "chicken runs" parallel to decent slopes where you meet up again quite quickly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back the greens in Alpe are fab lots of them and all together in a vast area. All served with chair cables and bum lifts. All except a couple of nursery ones great for snow boarders.
Great place and fab snow
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy