Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ankle injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advice needed please Sad

I was running on Thursday and managed to sprain my ankle. I have not been to the doctor or a physio as I can walk on it and although it looks swollen and is starting to colour, it doesn't look too life-threatening! This is the first time that I have had an ankle injury.

The issue is that i'm going skiing this Friday for a week. What is the general opinion on skiing just 1 week after a sprain? I don't really want to cancle but I also want to keep my ankle in good working condition as I try to run/swim/bike every day.

Cheers chaps snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moomooheidi, Ski boots make great ankle supports...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moomooheidi, You need to get the swelling down.

If you can get the boots on, they will indeed provide pretty good support for the ankle. But if it is too swollen, you may not be able to get the boots on at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How is it for load bearing??....any pain on rotation??

Swelling?...and what have you done with since the initial injury?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. I had a swollen ankle once. The doctor at Fernie thought I had just sprained it. When I got home, my own doc took a look at it - and sent me to A&E - saying that he thought I had broken something. He was right, my fibula had a complete break. Mind you, if you were just running when that happened, I suppose a break is unlikely for you. I respect stoatsbrother's track record here for common sense, but as a layman, I would be inclined to visit my doc - and perhaps go for some physio.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:
moomooheidi, Ski boots make great ankle supports...

Spot on.

As long as the swelling has gone down some, the injury is not too painful and you can get your boots on to start with....

Buy some sticky-back felt pads from the Chemist.
Cut them to shape around your ankle/swelling area and stick them on. This should subdue any flare-up of swelling aroung the whilst skiing.
(This helps keep light compression on the swelling during activity)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moomooheidi,
If you are tender in any of these areas you need to see a health professional (these are called the Ottowa Rules)
Meanwhile
Ice (plenty of that in resort!) Compress with a bandage, Elevate above the level of your hip to get the swelling down

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow- you guys!! What a super lot of replies. Thanks Very Happy

So, the swelling has really gone down after some rest, ice etc. I can walk on it fine now so I think it was just a little sprain. All the same, I now know what to do if it happens again while I'm in resort (prob more likely in the bars than on the slopes Cool ).

Once again, cheers and BRING ON THE SNOW!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moomooheidi, excellent Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy