Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I don't fall, am I pushing myself hard enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

But if you never crap yourself either, that's when you're not pushing your limits.

Hmm. This is maybe, in part, a question of age. There is a fairly wide margin between trying to do something new, and falling in the attempt (for example, I recently fell several times on piste when trying to ski on one leg) and "crapping yourself". I was not remotely frightened by that exercise, but it was pushing my skill/balance limits all right. The falls weren't a problem.

As for skiing faster, then I would certainly tend to hold back for fear of really enormous, damaging, falls. I can ski fast enough for my liking, and faster than is sensible on busy pistes, and that will do fine. I am more interested in things like skiing on one leg, which fine-tune balance, or practising on bumps, at controlled speed. Those skills will make it more likely that I will be able to continue skiing into my '80s. "Crapping myself" isn't on my wish list; my son, however, an enormously skilful skier, "craps himself" from time to time and has a much greater developmental push. And falls more than everyone else in the family put together.

However, I am certainly aware of not pushing my limits enough in trying off-piste, because of the likelihood of big falls. It's just so exhausting recovering from them, and the snow goes down your neck..... Some days are better than others. But I "know", perfectly well, that if I am to get better at skiing off-piste, there are many falls along the route, and that at present I am tending to hold back. I go up in a lift, spot the lines I can take to practice some steeper powder - then I do the run, look over the edge, and think "maybe I'll just do a few more turns on the piste before heading in there". Sheer cowardice.

I think one knows oneself, really. If money were no issue I would go off tomorrow and do an off-piste ski clinic. But I don't think I'd do a racing/gates course - for the simple reason that I would be afraid of really hurting myself, and would be "holding back" the whole time, and therefore not learning much.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I've found another twin!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy