Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I don't fall, am I pushing myself hard enough?

Poster: A snowHead
During a 2 week trip last season in spring corn i didn't fall for about 10 days and was beginning to get a bit hung up on "it'll hurt when I fall" so was quite glad when I had a major nose dive.

Anyone who has skied with me this season can vouch I've had may fairshare of layovers wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So what is next? No broken bone then no real skiing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer,
Quote:

I'm doing more and more each time I go skiing, it's just that I'm not falling any more, and I'm unsure whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Blimey, and I thought I was a worrier! IMV it's enough that you're doing more and more. Since you're so self-motivated and obviously such a high achiever, that means that you're not kidding yourself - you really are doing more and more. That's enough, don't flagellate yourself, or indeed risk unnecessary injury, which might compromise all the rest of the many things you seem to be good at. Falling is, after all, not an end in itself, at least I don't think it is. [/homily from Auntie Hurtle]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer wrote:
red 27, it's not really a rut or a plateau, I'm doing more and more each time I go skiing, it's just that I'm not falling any more, and I'm unsure whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Maybe both?

Not falling over means your body is in good condition both to avoid the fall and from NOT having to recover from any real injuries.Smile A good thing.

It may also means you could probably do MORE than what you're doing right now. (you're doing more and more but there's even more to do, right?) Not quite so good a thing.

So, it's really your comfort level on the ratio of improvement vs. falls. If you're happy with that ratio, you really don't need to push yourself any more than you already do...

I found working with good instructor, or jsut following good skiers, I make good improvement with relatively few falls. But when I'm pushed into terrain over my head without knowing how to do it properly, I fall lots with relatively little improvement.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MMmmmhhh this season ... One getting in the back seat on a blue to look at the scenery/wait for the wife ... on me bum in view of the end of the piste ....; another on - a - shallow red ( showing off what I call carving, but really 'playing' for extreme edge angles) just pushed too far over ....; with my missus last weekend 'accidentally off-piste' by a few yards ... dreaded green snow, STOP and covered in mud; Saturday on a 'newish' black that the sun had got at and was mush .. bailed-out 'up hill' to miss a skier who got into trouble and I totally lost it in the mush ... 30 meteres downhill facing wrong way .... loads of mush but no issue.
So 4/5 iirc ( and many, many more wobbles! )
But none of them ( apart from possibly the last) when I was pushing my personal 'envelope', just bad skiing/technique/attention. Just must ski better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My high speed wipe out in Tignes in October is still reminding me that I am not mended yet. My left thigh still has a different profile to the right one due to the residual haematoma and my shoulder makes the most amazing clicking, graunching noises. I still have difficulty getting my coat on sometimes because of it. Still, can't wait to go away at Easter!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer,

It's the calm before the storm.

(Mountainbike season will be here soon)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't remember when i last fell on piste (except the time another skier hit me) but I don't see how you can avoid falling occasionally off piste if you are going at speed or tackling difficult snow and tricky steeps. The last time on the last day of last holiday I hit an unseen double bump at speed in heavy snow and both skis came off at the second impact. The time before I was skiing fast down a gully and a hidden rock caught one of my skis and spun me round. And try skiing heavy slush under a breakable crust that you only break through on half your turns (was probably a hard crust with spring snow an hour before)!!!
I reckon I fall about 4 times a week, of which one or two are partly caused by skis coming off which I might have stayed upright on otherwise.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well you were asking about skiing gates, add those into the mix and I'm sure your quota of spills will increase Smile

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't fall over very often, but last year in three separate incidents I broke a rib, damaged my thumb, and smashed my nose (as a few witnesses can testify!). I'm not really sure why I kept crashing - maybe I was getting cocky.

I don't advocate falling over too much Kramer - it hurts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
well you were asking about skiing gates, add those into the mix and I'm sure your quota of spills will increase Smile

Yes, dramatically. It will make you feel much better Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
when i started if i wasnt falling once a run i felt like i wasnt trying hard enough. last few years not too many falls but this season loads. sadly mainly down to being frightened in gullies and nasty areas and falling into the hill. On the "improver" type of falls have skied a lot more bumps and came a cropper a lot but make a bit of progress.

Ive noticed that now in variables on easier terrain i ski a lot faster and dont just pick my way down slowly in control as before.

One definition of true expert is someone who pushes the envelope, always seems to be about to crash but is constantly recovering well...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about if you only fall over when you come to a stop? spoo
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmaah, yaayyy, I do that all the time! It's a funny sensation of thinking you're still moving, which unbalances you. Or something.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, I was only thinking the same think myself last year, have a lesson with Euan Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Funnily enough, I've just remembered when my last fall was, and that was the last EoSB on the off piste day, when I hit some unseen rocks.
ski holidays
snowball, my experience exactly.
ski holidays
I fell over on the Warren Smith course quite a lot this year. Trying drop offs, a couple of times when the snow conditions varied quickly from nice n deep n soft to ice bumps or the other way round and on the last day after trying a pub crawl on the way down Embarassed Oh yes, and on hidden cat tracks Evil or Very Mad

With the family last week I fell once when doing the showy off high speed carving bit and hit the loverly snow under a snow cannon.
snow conditions
I find that the biggest problem with only falling over now and again is that it is a bit of a shock to the system because it tends to happen when you least expect it. The last fall I had was one where I even had time to think this is going to hurt before I hit the ground.
snow conditions
riverman, Had one of those about 2 hours ago. During our lunchtime ski session I went a little to quickly off a hip on a piste; combination of much bigger air and steeper drop off than expected gave me enough time to realise it was gonna hurt. Having said that once it was a massive buzz, almost worth doing again Twisted Evil
snow report
I always think the worst fall is when you half recover and for a split second think you are ok, then catch a edge and wipe out, you always have just enough time to think that this is going to hurt
latest report
ajbaldwin, what about when one ski comes off and you ski on on the other one with long enough to think - how do I stop, i'm going to crash: CRASH! (Or occasionally on piste you actually turn and lose some speed before you crash)
latest report
One fall this season worth remembering.
Coming along a cat track after a powder run. The track itself was about 30cm of fresh powder, but with a clear set of ski tracks that everyone was using to get along the flatter section. I'm coming along towards the flatter section following the tracks, when I notice a guy coming down a run from the side toward the track. He's going fast, but "out-of-control" fast, not "good skiing" fast. I know that once he gets to the bottom, he's going to be heading either straight for me, or will come to a halt just in front of me, where I won't be able to stop.
So, I decide to turn out of the tracks into the powder.
I avoided the guy, but that was cause he wiped out at the bottom of the run. That's what I wanted to do.
What I didn't want to do was go over the front of my skis, and belly flop into the snow. My legs were pointing in opposite directions. I was concerned that I'd maybe damaged something.
Eventually, with Nells' help, I got up, dusted myself down, and skiied down to a hot chocolate/naproxen break.
snow conditions
Is there a conclusion here that if you are not falling, you are not skiing interesting enough snow/terrain?
snow report
stoatsbrother, I certainly have no desire to fall. There are to many bits that are almost broken.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, No ! Confused Anything but .. I think we've had loads of stuff put forward ... but little to support Kramer's self-diagnosis/questioning ,,,, but that's for him to interpret.

My reading is ......'totally inconclusive ' snowHead
latest report
Hmm I had more falls the other week in Laax than in the last 2 seasons put together. Most were pushing the skill envelope on crusty stuff (as well documented on BZK) but one the snow snakes just got me and ended up with a full yard sale
snow report
Agenterre, not even sure you can be that certain...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fell more this last time out (with Rob@rar) than I have done for many year.

Of course, I had just bought a helmet...

(I'll get me coat)
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, Laughing
snow conditions
Kitty, is your 'residual haematoma' a hard lump on your leg that won't go away.

I have one on my shin after falling off the toilet (whilst changing a light bulb rolling eyes ).

I was wondering whether it would ever disappear!
ski holidays
mosh, i think you were pushing too hard! Very Happy
ski holidays
Every time I do fall over it f***ing hurts - so I really try not to do it!

Fell over in the Arcs snow park last week- never been in one before- tried some rails sideways- forgot to straighten up before landing- out of skis- shoulder pranged (acromioclavicular ligament I think- I'll live)
ski holidays
I only fell twice last year - this year I lost count!! Somehow it doesn't sound like progress.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
edsilva, Megamum, more pushing, more falling more, more, more... Did you think skiing was just about cruising around safely and in control, having fun? shame on you...

push-fall-push-fall and don't stop til you've bust summat Twisted Evil
snow report
stoatsbrother, snowball, agreed.... unseen rocks which rip the ski off or just plain iffy snow which grabs very quickly and unexpectedly. Plus the speed required to gun some of these things makes falling a risk.

Of course, there are some places where a fall will really do some damage so safety first bomb-proof turn here..
snow report
snowball wrote:
ajbaldwin, what about when one ski comes off and you ski on on the other one with long enough to think - how do I stop, i'm going to crash: CRASH! (Or occasionally on piste you actually turn and lose some speed before you crash)

That sounds like you have significant experience of it. Which probably means your bindings are set too low, because you should not be pre-releasing very often at all.

As you probably realise from having that type of crash, pre-release can be almost as bad as not releasing quite quickly enough when it should.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I only fell twice last year - this year I lost count!! Somehow it doesn't sound like progress.

It probably is.

The point is not that you fall more when you get better, but that the process of improving usually results in falls as you are going beyond what you can do comfortably.
snow report
I wouldn't worry about it. Consider it a sign of good technique. But if you never crap yourself either, that's when you're not pushing your limits.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy