Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I don't fall, am I pushing myself hard enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Something that I've been thinking about for a few months now, is that I don't seem to fall when skiing anymore. I do seem to be pushing myself, going off piste, and skiing in variable conditions, but I honestly can't remember the last time that I fell over.

Is this a normal stage to reach, or is it just a symptom that I'm not pushing myself enough?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer wrote:
I'm not pushing myself enough?

No you're not. Get someone to push you over.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, you could just be an amazing skier wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Talk about tempting fate Shocked it's why I've avoided posting the same thing Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't fall on family holidays - even skiing pretty tough stuff (double blacks in powder etc). However speed, steeps, trees and variable snow ( ie power to windpack transitions) make me fall sometimes. However I have seen physically strong but agricultural skiers who can ski this stuff all day with no style and no falls (I am not saying this is you).

no falls no balls wink IMHO.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
I honestly can't remember the last time that I fell over.

If it wasn't memorable, it wasn't worth falling over.
I fell off a ladder a few months ago. That was memorable, in the A&E at UCH!

Apparently, a recent medical study concluded that falling over causes injury and that the risk of skiing injuries is significantly reduced by not falling over. However, as stoatsbrother has pointed out, there is a risk of testicle loss by not falling over.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, I can only echo stoatsbrother, NO Falls NO Balls, you ain't trying Laughing
PS. Like the rest of us you are getting old!

the best skier I ski with - ntfarmer. Fell 3 times today (OK once was off a stool spraying me wth Lager) Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 17-02-08 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, No, you're just getting older & your sense of self-preservation is kicking in Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

no falls no balls

I fall a lot. Should I be worried? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My last proper fall was 3 years ago in Fernie, (I'm not counting the headplant at MK when I was ski testing some stupid snowblade things). I was going ballistic, it was the full on Yard Sale. Just seem to have escaped the falls recently, though come close a few times.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle only by your inability to recognise a false syllogism... wink

Seriously - can one say of a female skier that she "really has ovaries"?

And middle-aged female skiers are the group with the knee injury rate. So yes - be scared, be very scared... Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, I guess lots of time on plastic is a major discouragement to falling. (I broke a hand at Hemel many many years ago...)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I noticed towards the end of last season that I hadn't fallen over in off-piste for over a month - whereas I used to fall over 2-3 times a day minimum. The thing I noticed is that I'd become very good at recovering from things that would have previously had me in a heap. So, not only had my skiing improved, but also my internal gyroscope. I've had four falls on alpine kit this season - all in one day and within an hour of each other.

If you want to fall over more then you should take up telemarking. I fall over doing that once or twice every five minutes. I hadn't realised how many extra ways there were to fall over until I stuck telemark skis on.

Hurtle - that'll explain your deep voice and the beard Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, Falling on Plastic does smart a bit. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, I don't think not falling is a result of an individual not pushing themselves... I rarely fall these days, but not necessarily because of any increase in ability or lack of desire to improve. Most of the time these days I can recover and save myself before a snow inspection, or actually not get myself into a position where I'm likely to fall in the first place. I did have an absolute pearler recently in Soll though, gentle gradient, hero snow, but I caught an edge and had a total yard sale...... Cool
ski holidays
I have said that if you dont fall over your not trying hand enough for the last 15yr. BS can confirm.

But i think know that as you get older as was said above self presvation come in to effect.

This can only be proven by the crash i sure to day by a young man.
snow report
stoatsbrother, oh dear, I shouldn't have asked...
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
stoatsbrother, Falling on Plastic does smart a bit. Laughing

Understatement of the snowHead year
latest report
PhillipStanton wrote:
The thing I noticed is that I'd become very good at recovering from things that would have previously had me in a heap.

Me nods and waves back. Very Happy I've become quite good at pulling some spectacular 'wheelies' when I've caught myself out on a bump/slope change and found myself too far back on my (short) skis, always managed to land them so far...
latest report
Think I had 1 fall all last season. This season had 2 on the glacier ice at PSB on the first morning (being in the back seat), none at xmas, and 2 in Austria the other week, 1 a 3/4 forward somersault when I had my weight much too far forward on a jump in Saalbach, and one being stood stationery in Flachau, leaning on my pole resting when FenlandSkier skied past and whacked my pole from under me, the little poo-poo Wink
latest report
Kramer wrote:
but I honestly can't remember the last time that I fell over.

Is this a normal stage to reach, or is it just a symptom that I have.................
early onset of Alzheimers? wink
snow report
And the last two were hilarious! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, and if you fall and no one can hear you...do you make a sound ? Wink
snow conditions
Bought new boots last week which seemed to renew my ability to fall on demand or at any particular unexpected part of the run particularly in front of the locals. This generally leads to various comments aimed at the English. Wasn't going to explain the difference at the time, too much snow in my face.
snow report
Kramer, why push yourself Puzzled are you enjoying your skiing?

Don't get sucked into over-acheiver-syndrome. skiing is fun... save the ambition for work snowHead
snow report
I haven't fallen on piste for a long time but I have to make lots of recoveries, some big, some small, some, quite frankly, seem to be the result of divine intervention. If you're not falling and you're not having to make recoveries you're probably skiing well inside your envelope - nothing wrong with that, but if you are looking to improve you should thing about pushing a bit harder from time to time. I've skied with Kramer a little bit and I think he has the technique to push harder without becoming a danger to himself or others.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I guess 'pushing' means different things for different people. For Kramer and you, it probably means trying to go faster, since you can ski all conditions and most gradients. Whereas for the majority of incompetent intermediates like me, it probably means having the guts to tackle something more difficult, be it steeper, deeper or bumpier.
ski holidays
I have plenty of near misses, but always manage to recover them, I've no idea how. Funnily enough, they don't tend to happen on the more severe terrain, but more when I'm not paying attention on the easier stuff.

I've not been in the park since the last EoSB, perhaps I should go and hurt myself there.

red 27, I push myself because I enjoy it.
snow report
Hurtle, all things are relative, of course, but it's not always about speed. I will often spend a few hours doing a particular drill or a practising something like focusing on doing clean, quick transitions, driving my tips down into the trough in bump fields, keeping square to my skis in long radius turns, reducing tip lead, or getting a plough-parallel right to use just a few examples from the last couple of trips. None of those are necessarily about going quickly, but if you set a high standard of performance it will require you to push yourself to do things well. Of course, there's nothing wrong with skiing eye-wateringly fast from time to time either Wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 17-02-08 21:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, funnily enough I do think that I need to go harder and faster on the piste.
ski holidays
and through the gates. wink
latest report
Kramer wrote:
red 27, I push myself because I enjoy it.

So have you've not been enjoying your skiing?
snow report
Kramer wrote:
I have plenty of near misses, but always manage to recover them, I've no idea how.

In that case I don't think there's a problem. The ability to recover from all sorts of bad stuff indicates a good level of skill in my book. I'm very happy that I don't often fall over when skiing on piste - the last time I did I seriously scared myself and hurt for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
and through the gates. wink

Do it Wink
ski holidays
red 27, of course I have, but it becomes more of a pleasurable experience than a thrill. To get the rush, I have to push the envelope.
latest report
Kramer, Are you now skiing in places where fall would be nasty? I tend not to fall on the steep slopes with rocks below - but have recently fallen on the easyest blue run on the mountain (I have no idea why i fell just did) a blue when I ran into a snow drift I didn't see and a red run when stopping (twice) Thats 15 days skiing this season and 4 falls.
I don't think I've fallen at all when "off piste" this season but have had plenty of whhhhooooo moments.
latest report
II, I am starting to ski in a few places where it's quite important not to fall, but not all the time.
latest report
Kramer, I think I see what you mean, but is it not an intuitive thing? You'll do what's best / most enjoyable on the day without needing to nag yourself into it?

Just thinking out loud.... Smile Maybe some lessons would help you get out of the rut / off the plateau - if that's maybe what it is?
snow conditions
I have just returned from Are in Sweden. First day I found a nice set of moguls next to a red, they were a bit icy near the steeper bottom section so I took a good tumble and slid 50m on my side spinning like a top... all directly under the chair lift full of laughing folk Smile Turned out it was the black mogul run after checking the map... ooops. Also was caught on video attempting to clear a tabletop jump, not quite making it and bouncing off the top only to land bum first right off the other side. Factor in some high speed piste wipeouts demo'ing big fat skis, a couple of falls on the closed black slalom run (made up of frozen tracks and ruts from bashers), a few snow snakes in the off piste crud and my total must have been well into double figues for the week.

Come on Kramer... I can't do all the comedy value on my own Toofy Grin
snow report
Kramer, Sadly we learnt the 'one more run' story this year.

Man goes skiing with Esprit to Les Arcs in January this year, they stay in Peisey. He takes his twin daughters (8 years old) while his wife flies to America to see her sick mother. On second day he gets to the Vallandry chair in Peisey and says that was great, lets have one more run. As he gets back to the bottom of the run he falls and breaks his leg very badly. Esprit get him to hospital and one of the Espirt nannys minds his kids for the week, even sleeping in their room wiht them.

On cutover date the wife arrived in Chambery, via Gatwick from Pennsylvania. He got flown out 4 days later.

Motto of the story was never ask if you should fall more and never do the extra run or at least never say it. Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
red 27, it's not really a rut or a plateau, I'm doing more and more each time I go skiing, it's just that I'm not falling any more, and I'm unsure whether that's a good or a bad thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy