Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video editing equipment

Poster: A snowHead
I've been trying to split some of the video I took on my most recent trip, but I've been having nothing but problems so far. I don't know if perhaps I have a plug-in issue which I need to deal with, but could anyone suggest a piece of software that should work? All I really need to do is cut small bits out of long videos.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just use a Mac with iMovie + iDVD. Saves all the hassle.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.scenalyzer.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, but unfortunately that's not really much use to me since I don't use a Mac.

I've managed to find some software that will convert my files to a more agreeable file type, but Windows Movie Maker is still playing up a bit, so could still do with some (ideally free) video trimming software.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have you checked for patches for MovieMaker ?
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
8tj6 wrote:
Thanks, but unfortunately that's not really much use to me since I don't use a Mac.

I've managed to find some software that will convert my files to a more agreeable file type, but Windows Movie Maker is still playing up a bit, so could still do with some (ideally free) video trimming software.

Probably the best Windows software (but sadly not free) would be Adobe Premier Elements.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8tj6,

Video file splitter ..?? Virtuldub... pretty basic but does the job.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8tj6, Have you editted on your PC previously??...if so what did you use?

How are you importing your footage?? USB or FireWire.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Having struggled for years with Pinnacle on my PC, and given up, I have just switched to Mac and iMovie does it all so easily. Joy Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:

Having struggled for years with Pinnacle on my PC, and given up, I have just switched to Mac and iMovie does it all so easily. Joy Laughing

Ditto Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As JT suggest, Virtual Dub is a fantastic free piece of software to do basic split of video files, rescaling the video and deinterlazing (and many other things). It can also be combined with some plugins to stitch files together again. If you want to use moviemaker you could do your splitting in Virtual Dub and perhaps reencode to moviemake suitable format. For a PC I think this is a good solution when we are talking freeware.

Keep in mind that your PC needs tons of memory to perform quick video editing. Once the PC begins to swap memory the experience becomes less enjoyable. Have you considered if your PC is up to it? I think consensus is that a minimum would be around 1GB for editing. Should be no problem when splitting a file though.

As for a really good program, not by any means free Sad, Adobe premier I think is a really nice tool. It will not do menus however, you then need to purchase another program for that.

//fish
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you bought a Mac?

No?

Do you own a Mac?

No?

...I would give up if I were you!

"Once you've had Mac, you never go back!"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderHunter wrote:
Have you bought a Mac?

Is that because you cannot figure out how to work two buttons on the mouse? Fun intended Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
purplefisher wrote:
PowderHunter wrote:
Have you bought a Mac?

Is that because you cannot figure out how to work two buttons on the mouse? Fun intended Laughing

Two buttons on my Apple mouse Puzzled

Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderHunter wrote:
Have you bought a Mac?

No?

Do you own a Mac?

No?

...I would give up if I were you!

I'm too much of a gamer to feel like spending money on a Mac, although I would love to have one as a means of getting more involved in media editing etc.

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I've never really done much video editing before, nope...and I looked into patches for movie maker but to not much avail. There's no issue with my PC as suggested; it rocks Smile Oh, and I did try Virtual Dub but I didn't know what the hell I was meant to do with it; it made me play it all through whilst it dubbed it or whatever, and then it all went fuzzy.

Bottom line: I've succumbed to Elements, so thanks for suggesting that. Making the most of the 30 day trial but I'll buy it in the end. I've actually been really enjoying playing around with it since I downloaded it the other night, video editing can be quite addictive!
snow conditions
8tj6 wrote:
I'm too much of a gamer to feel like spending money on a Mac, although I would love to have one as a means of getting more involved in media editing etc.

Get yourself an Intel one, dual boot into Windows for games - job done Smile

in some recent tests the fastest Vista laptops were Macs!!
latest report
Quote:

Bottom line: I've succumbed to Elements, so thanks for suggesting that. Making the most of the 30 day trial but I'll buy it in the end. I've actually been really enjoying playing around with it since I downloaded it the other night, video editing can be quite addictive!

Sony Vegas is also worth a look. Very slick.
snow report
Have a look at the latest Nero (Vision is the video editing component). A free download for evaluation, but I was sufficiently impressed to pay for it once the eval expired. But do make sure that whatever you buy handles the format of your video files [Nero is one of the few to do AVCHD.]

Whatever you do avoid Pinnacle: everyone I know has problem with it - it's okay if it's the *only* application on your PC, otherwise expect extreme grief!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy