Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My foot problem...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have had two trips this season and during both and after both trips my onsetting bunion has been sheer agony. Strangely enough when skiing it is fine and pain free but when we sit down for food or drinks sometimes i have to take the boot off completely to alleviate the pain. So a little while after getting back from the most recent trip I went to the GP and he recommended a trip to our local expert consultant, I have made an appointment with the consultant but as time passes by my bunion has settled right down again and as I dont have private medical insurance I am now wavering as to whether or not to pay for the consultancy.......especially as we have now booked another sneaky trip for a further 5 days skiing for the end of the month!
Therefore I have a question aimed at our experts, if they would be so kind to answer, I reckon the cost of my appointment would around £200.00 added to the cost of an xray prior to the appointment which would probably be about £100.00 giving a total cost of £300.00. Would I in their opinion be better off cancelling the appointent and use that money on having some good boots fitted for around the same if not cheaper cost. Don't worry I am not looking for any medical advice just your thoughts on the possibility of managing the bunion with personally fitted boots as opposed to hire boots which I have always used in a pain free fashion.
I am not a particalarly experienced skier, however I am making up for lost time. This is only my third season on the slopes and would say that I ski quite agressively although as my competence improves the agression is reducing, I am able to cope with all pisted terrain and most non-bashed piste. Therefore up to this point I have never seen the economic value in making a purchase(versus hire and airline charges) but will go out this week and buy some boots if you think it worthwhile.
On my first trip this season I had to return to the hire shop after the forst days skiing because of the pain and serioulsy didn't think I would be able to ski again that week, however after I explained the problem the fitter went away and came back with a pair of boots with soft spots at different pressure points around the foot- ankles and more importantly big toe knuckle point. Are these boots available in the UK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go see Patric Shelton, get some footbeds made, go see Colin, get your boots modified, never have them operated on unless Patric Shelton says so. End of.

CEM has Patric Shelton's details.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northantsred, BTW i used to live in Northampton, where do you live?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also suffer with bunions and had same problem with pain across forefoot when relaxed. Fortunately I had benefit of having new boots fitted at Snowheads boot clinic at Lockwoods in Oct by Smallzookeeper and Nakedzookeeper. They fit brilliantly and no pain from bunions after two weeks skiing. I would not let an orthopaedic surgeon operate on my feet unless all other alternatives had been exhausted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
codger, that's interesting, just the kind of thing i was hoping to hear. As I am sure that my problem is/has been suffered by others. I am also thinking of going over to Lockwoods this week as it's not too far distant. Just been looking round their site and they look as though they have a huge selection.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, point taken about the operation as I have recently unearthed some horror stories regarding the bunion operation which did start me thinking is it worth seeing the consultant?
I live in a small village about 5 miles west of Northampton. Very close to the M1.
I see you are in Chamonix, my son and three of his uni chums are over there first week in March.....keep an eye on him for me would you? It's only his third week on a board and i have looked at the terrain there and I know he will do anything for a dare or a laugh. Just don't know where he gets it from as his mum is ever so reserved!!!wink Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy