Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the problem with moguls?

Poster: A snowHead
Here was me thinking that the other thread would be a celebration of the glory that is bumps. And here it turns out to be folks complaining about how big they get.

This is so wrong. Bumps are good. Bumps are to be cherished and loved.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, absolutely. Same with slush - fantastic stuff, yet large numbers don't seem to enjoy it Puzzled Of course, slush bumps are the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 17-02-08 14:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm only a low intermediate so I am sure my experience of bumps is very limited. However, I LOVE them and have been really puzzled at the trouble they seem to cause so many others. I think they are the best fun. Give me bumps over ice or very steep bits any day. I giggle to myself going over them - even if the backs of my skis cross sometimes and my knees are sore after doing too much. I don't care if I don't use the correct technique on them (I'm sure I don't) but they make my day.

My other half is a far better skier than me but hates bumps and he will seek out the icy stretch at the side of the piste if possible to get away from them while I'll happily bounce through them.

Long live the bumps Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:
Bumps are to be cherished and loved.

I quite agree but sadly they are abused far too often, becoming lumpy, icy and misshapen. I wish I could ski bumps Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They now make me laugh rather than swear but haven't mastered yet rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, slushy bumps? Oh, god, I'm off to change my boxers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'll happily bounce through them

I found a lot of fast skiers dislike bumps because they can't "bounce through" them fast. Which really means they're not as good of skier as they think of themselves.

In the bumps, things do happen faster. It's like a whole piste in about a metre! If I want the same excitement on a smooth piste, I would have to go quite fast, which is rarely safe.

I like bumps also because one 100 yard bump field can be skied in so many different ways! Each bump has several sides I can try, different combination of bumps, so on and so forth... Bumps are just condensed, concentrated excitement. I embrace bumps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wasn't there a Martin Heckleman video where the entire piste turns into a field of smiley face bumps?

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Cool Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Shocked Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Laughing Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

David Murdoch wrote:
slushy bumps? Oh, god, I'm off to change my boxers.

I so didn't need dyslexia whilst reading that. Madeye-Smiley Shocked Laughing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i love bumps Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I especially love them on my Missions. Nice and short and narrow underfoot to make it easy to get from edge to edge.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, Laughing Laughing I especially like the two rogue bumps!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep! The first one launch you half way up the air. Then you land on the second one and skied away!!! You don't even know how you managed! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 10 year old loves 'em.

She followed me down the bottom half of the Silene black in the Chaudannes area of Tignes. Her only comments; I was a bit frightened at first, I couldn't ski it all the way parallel so had to snowplough a bit.

I was mighty proud. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bumps hurt my back and knees..I'm old
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cfc5mu0, you are pefectly within your rights to robustly disabuse me but might I humbly suggest it might possibly not be "age" and possibly be (particular) technique that's the problem??... wink check out the book available from here www.LearnMoguls.com if you want to reduce the back/knee pain. It's very good IMO... wink
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
cfc5mu0, you are pefectly within your rights to robustly disabuse me but might I humbly suggest it might possibly not be "age" and possibly be (particular) technique that's the problem??... wink check out the book available from here www.LearnMoguls.com if you want to reduce the back/knee pain. It's very good IMO... wink

Second that. From personal experience:

Took one lesson in Taos because there's no fresh snow and everything was bumped up. Very frustrating for a "bump novie". Before lesson, knees hurt big time even in small bump field. After lesson, knees don't hurt even in medium long and medium big bump fields.

But it's years later before I took the second lesson. After that, knees don't hurt much any more. Do wonder why I waited for so long. Sad Though still gets tired in big long bumps fields. So is working on that and plan to take another lesson, this time in the not so distant future. Smile (Shall I say I learned my lesson well? Wink )
latest report
Quote:

Wasn't there a Martin Heckleman video where the entire piste turns into a field of smiley face bumps?

Yes, I think I remember that... I wasn't convinced then, and I'm not convinced now, but I keep trying.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Yoda, slushy bumps? Oh, god, I'm off to change my boxers.
Careful, they might make you go blind wink
ski holidays
Quote:

This one maybe? wink
snow conditions
Ah the good old days when bumps were made by long skis and they were evenly spaced and at my old hill they got very very large over 2 meters from trough to top, I loved those bumps. Tight bumps made by snowboarders where my skis can sit on 3 bumps I can live without.

Yoda, slush bump season is just around the corner. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
pinhead, yes "winter" is depressingly short Crying or Very sad Still, at least when you wipe out in slush bumps they don't hurt as much, although there is that small wetness problem.....
ski holidays
Yoda, why is wetness a problem Twisted Evil - carry spare boxers
latest report
David Murdoch, my boxers are Goretex wink Laughing
snow report
Bumps make my knees cry Crying or Very sad which makes me Crying or Very sad because I love them! Roll on Bionic Knee and point me in the direction of a mogul field
snow report
Yoda wrote:
David Murdoch, my boxers are Goretex wink Laughing

Best worn inside out on scary terrain.
ski holidays
I too like bumps, but my knees end up twice their normal size Sad I have yet to have proper instruction on how to ski them and no doubt my technique, or lack of it, is all wrong. Embarassed I love unpisted runs, varied terrain is much more fun than well groomed, corduroy pistes as that can get rather boring if that is all that's on offer.
snow conditions
Yoda, that's the one. Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda, 40 degrees and sunny, afraid the season is here early, time for neoprene skiing. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the hardest mogul run anyone's ever done?
snow report
CREVASSE _07 wrote:
What's the hardest mogul run anyone's ever done?

Most of the ones on my back rolling eyes
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
My 10 year old loves 'em.

She followed me down the bottom half of the Silene black in the Chaudannes area of Tignes. Her only comments; I was a bit frightened at first, I couldn't ski it all the way parallel so had to snowplough a bit.

I was mighty proud. snowHead

I followed my 9 year old down the bumps of La Foret in ADH. I was mighty proud of me.
latest report
I've been skiing too many years, and I still can't hack the moguls properly, but that doesn't stop me enjoying them. I think doing the bumps is a terrific challenge, and I always will. I went down Droset in Les Arcs, today, and the moguls were fantastic. I also went down Tuffes from the top of Plagnettes, and it was a b******. I coudn't hack it! When I started, I used 205cm skis for many years, but that didn't stop me having a go. After a while skiing on the piste can become boring, so have a go at the bumps, but don't expect to succeed overnight - it takes a lot of patience...
It's a bit like skiing off-piste, really, start with the easy stuff, then progress.
By the way, I use 179cms now, is that progress?
snow conditions
pinhead wrote:
Ah the good old days when bumps were made by long skis and they were evenly spaced and at my old hill they got very very large over 2 meters from trough to top, I loved those bumps.

Lone Pine at Norquay last week. It was like going back in time. A whole chairlift with nothing but black and double black bump runs off it and no snowboarders going anywhere near it. Terrifying antediluvean chairlift though.

Made Sunshine's powder seem even nicer!
ski holidays
I don't find skiing them a problem, it's trying to ski them with style that's the problem for me.

If I'm lucky to come across a perfectly formed, regularly sized stretch of moguls I reckon I could get down them with a bit of style, but for irregular ones of varying sizes and spacings, I really struggle.
ski holidays
Fergus wrote:
I don't find skiing them a problem, it's trying to ski them with style that's the problem for me.

If I'm lucky to come across a perfectly formed, regularly sized stretch of moguls I reckon I could get down them with a bit of style, but for irregular ones of varying sizes and spacings, I really struggle.

DIT toe to that.
snow conditions
Fergus, you need to learn how to turn on one bump then...
snow report
David Murdoch, what do you mean? How else would you get down a mogul field without turning on just one bump?
latest report
then..... repeat as necessary
snow report
After being "savaged" by Mr Murdoch above I decided to reinvigorate my self for the moguls..Smile

So I found a video which covers not just this thread but two others

http://youtube.com/v/wjTzPe1Zs3E

I will try and ski Moguls as an old man, I now know what to put on my Ipod (a Mr Stab thread from a while ago) and even half way through the video someone mentions a turtle they are carrying so that covers one of the Mr Zookeepers threads about what animal to take skiing...
snow report
David Murdoch, Nothing, a fantastic empire and race - http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ab99
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy