Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to find the ultimate backpack and carry on boots on plane

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have read with interest various posts on packs etc and hand luggage issues on flights with carriers like Easy Jet. I have always used a boot bag in the pst to 'carry on' my boots as well as the absolute min of stuff to go skiing (x1 pair sock, gloves, thermals, goggles, salopettes) whilst wearing my ski jacket and clipping my helmet to my boot bag in case things go awry in the airport.

Helmet is now gong in my main hold luggage bag, but am wanting to find a back pack which will meet the follwong criteria......any ideas anyone?

Needs to be a min of 47cm (tall) x 37cm (wide) x 16cm (deep) to fit my ski boots in '69' style and a maximum of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm to go through airport size restrictions.

Able to use hyrdation pack.

Fit probe, shovel etc

The key thing is finding a way not to advertise that I am carrying my boots on at check in.

Any recommendations anyone......fed up of trawling the web and not finding correct info or wrong size! A good pack that may be slightly bigger than the max above but will shrink down with compression straps, would also probably fit the bill.[/list]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Save yourself time trawling the internet for such answers, go get a 'Paper round' and use the money you earn to pay for your Luggage excess. Problem solved. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Private jet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not clear what the problem is. The normal baggage allowance seems to be OK for carrying boots - we often meet friends at Geneva (usually easyJet, sometimes Flybe) who bring boots in their cases.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I'm not clear what the problem is. The normal baggage allowance seems to be OK for carrying boots - we often meet friends at Geneva (usually easyJet, sometimes Flybe) who bring boots in their cases.

Yes but they probably have ski bags stuffed full of socks, gloves etc in order to keep there luggage under 20k if there boots are packed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel, no, they don't bring skis (they borrow ours!). The last lot of friends also bought a large lump of Christmas cake.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just don't want to check my boots in and lose them that's why I prefer to carry them....and the keener check in staff spot boot bags more easily and nowadays you run the danger of not being able to take your boot bag as hand luggage......

There's nothing worse than having your single most important piece of kit go astray.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Solar Coaster, look elsewhere in the forum - many airports (eg all baa, and Grenoble) are now banning boots as carry-on. I fail to see how a different looking bag will help when your bag goes through the scanner and your boots show on the screen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, it looks like snowball was originally given duff information and that the scare about BAA is not true - which would also agree with there being nothing on their web-site. There was absolutely no probalem in December and the only advertised changes to BAA regs since then were to relax rules. Grenoble and Bristol seem to be the main two airports that are being prats on this subject.

Solar Coaster, I use my normal pack, which is a MacPac 40l pack (Tuatara). That is the right size for multi-day touring, but does have compression straps to reduce volume so doesn't have to be big when normal skiing - and the boots fit inside just right. There are all sorts of packs in the 35-40l range that would do. If it has compression straps it probably won't have side pockets though, which is a bit of a pain for getting bits and bobs out while skiing, but is good if you do serious off-piste that involves the occasional hike with skis on your back. Mine is actually quite narrow and high, and is actually pretty poor for pockets, so I end up ramming a huge amount of stuff in the lid pocket and having to scrabble about inside whenever I need anything out of it. That pocket needs to be pretty much empty on the plane though to meet height restrictions. If you're getting something new there are probably better shaped packs than this one - although this just happened to be about the best match for my (rather long) back-length. Shovel and probe go either in with my skis, or down inside my checked main pack.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all....my main concern is to find a bag to get through airports and be able to practical enough for what I want to do at the other end. mY research agrees with what you are syaing about BAA and others such as Liverpool appear to relaxing things a little and also have slightly bigger size restrictions. From what I can see there is now no formal stipulation you can't carry on boots so I'm prepared to take the chance I'd rather risk not getting them through than having them lost out of my hands.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy