Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Service Enquiry - Tech Help Needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Excuse my ignorance on this one but know little about the finer merits of tuning etc - but suspect i need advice!

I collected a pair of skis from Snow and Rock last week after they had a full service. It was late night opening and I was running out of time so I stupidly forgot to check the bases of my skis as they were doing a binding check etc. adn I needed to get away.

I am now getting ready for going away next week and am packing. Just looked at my skis and they have patched up the 'holes' ok but I am concerned about how smooth the bases are. There is a very definite 'pattern' to them. When looking from the side and with back lighting this appears as a diagonal almost ripple like effect.

As I rub my fingers from one edge to the other across the base I can feel the texture of the samll linear grooves which run from top to bottom (and I assume are from the stone grinding?).

Suppose my questions are: shouldn't the waxing mean that the bases feel almost smooth as glass? Is there a possibility that they haven't waxed them properly? Does the diagonal ripple effect sound wrong to you?

Concerned I'll get to resort and find that they don't run well. Hope someone can help!

PS If I knew how to I'd attach a photo to help..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Solar Coaster, this little article on ski base structure theory may help. One or two of the diagrams may be what you describe:

http://www.racewax.com/servlet/the-template/ttstructure/Page

In the old days, skis had a central 'tracking groove' which was a distinct feature that ran from the tip to the tail of the ski. Theories on tracking a ski's travel, and breaking the suction between ski base and snow, are now more sophisticated, depending on conditions.

See how the skis run. You may not be disappointed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, this sounds right to me. After I have waxed skis myself the surface is smooth, but after recent professional waxes I have noticed a very slight patterned texture is visible. I think this is to reduce the suction effect of wet snow ( even if the snow is not wet the pressure of the ski warms the snow creating its own water layer if the temperature of the snow is close to the freezing point (the high pressure under a skate blade means the skate is always sliding on water).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guys

Great advie and thanks.....the racewax site is particularly useful. As conditons are currently cold I'll give them a go as they are and if not have them waxed.

Thanks again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One thing I'd always recommend is carrying a block of universal ski wax with you. If the snow's sticky, just rubbing the wax on can make a huge difference.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They will have used a texture machine to create this pattern - it's a kind of stone that creates this pattern in the base. If you look at any new skis in the shop they will have this textured base so that should give you some reassurance!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy