Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis for Mrs Boris

Poster: A snowHead
After a few years of gentle persauding, Mrs Boris has decided that I might actually be right and she should buy some new skis. What finally did the trick was renting some on her short-break last week and liking them.

What she hired was listed on receipt as Rossignol Xfight 660 - but can't seem to track them down anywhere Puzzled

Anyway has anyone got any suggestions - for info

Mainly piste skiing, odd bit of the edge or between pistes
Confident on groomed reds
Will tackle bumps and blacks when required
40 yrs old
good level of fitness
nagging husband wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, I bought the Volkl Arenas this year. They are fantastic carvers, good in the bumps (I'm only a novice at this though) and I did a little off-piste. They have an excellent edge hold and are really fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sounds like some demoing should be done on the next family trip Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynastar Legend Powder Plus... if she is keen
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar Exclusive Legend (more off-piste)or Head Supershape Magnum (little bit of off-piste)
snow report
 monster77
monster77
The super shapes are fine off piste, P has had no trouble with them. Our last 2 trips have seen bug all piste work Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Mrs Boris best rent&test different skis geared for mostly on piste use considering the profile of the Mrs by Mr Boris...

Don't think the 50/50 on-off piste suggestions would be that suitable for the Mrs Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ronald, I think you're right - anyone know of any group who organises ski tests at the start of the season Puzzled wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MrsPhillipStanton loves her Volkl Attivas. Shed loads of edge hold. Wide enough underfoot for off-piste excursions. Good in the bumps.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, Many rental places allow you to swap skis as you please, so one of those with a good range of skis will suit the Mrs well.

Here in Wengen/Central Sport you get discounted the rental fee when you buy, but the equipment runs at quite a steep price... at least until after the holidays.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, I love my R ossignol Attraxion 3's
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Movement Spicy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm reading this with interest, as I need to replace my (stolen) Elan Wave Magics. I am pretty close to the profile of Mrs Boris, except considerably older (the bad news) and non-nagging husband (the good, but he has other faults....). The new Wave Magics have such awful little blue flowers.... but I did like them very much.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, is that the Attiva 4*? I find the names of the Volkl skis a bit confusing, though I've had a couple of pairs in the past, and liked them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w - MrsPhillipStanton tried the whole range of Attivas - the S4, S3 and basic Attivas. She settled on the basic ones - which I'm pretty sure are the equivalent of the current Oceana. Strictly speaking they were below her skiing level, but she's relatively light and not a particularly aggressive skier (well, she wasn't at the time - she's getting more aggressive now).

The skis have helped her develop much more as a skier than her Scott Aztecs.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, thanks, I'll see what I can find at a bargain price.
ski holidays
pam w, The Volkl Arenas I bought are the replacement for the Attiva 5*.

www.voelkl.com
snow report
p.s.they can be skied as aggressively (or not) as you like, even though they're marketed as advanced skis.
ski holidays
pam w - it's the time of year for bargains.

MrsPhillipStanton had all sorts of problems finding Volkls last season, but they seem to be much more widely available this year. Which means there'll be a bargain to be had somewhere.
ski holidays
The volkl arenas that have been mentioned are a great choice for the demo list, but I'd add a few skis that are a tad wider in the waist. Something that will give good edge grip and inspire confidence.
A few that come to mind are...........
Nordica Olympia Victory 74 in the waist in 08 but 78 in 09.
The volkl Auroras
If you want to get really daring, go for something like the Nordica Olympia Conquer or Elan Wave Spice
Both of which are in the midfat range and really lend to some carving mixed with crud busting and playful grins!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 21-02-08 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
SnowHot, Do you think that for an on-piste ski that a narrower waisted ski is a better 'gaining skills' ski ? The Arena has a 69mm waist. The Burnin' Luv has a 69mm waist as well and is (for some) a good all mountain ski. I don't understand the wider ski following. I think I should try some.
ski holidays
erica2004, a lot of the midfats (something in the mid to high 70's) are better for stability and for working on skills.
A ski in the 69-70 range tends to be more of a hypercarver and thus, does the turning for the skier(to an extent).
When you get into the mid70's the ski tends to have less of a sidecut and allows the skier to hone his/her skills, and really take skiing to the next level. And will take Mrs Boris into the tougher stuff as she advances, which we all know she will when she gets the new skis.

Example:
I was doing some drills this year to really get the "flex" out of my boot and ski. When I was beginning my drills, I did it on my Wave spice (80waist), really got the hang of it, got my speed up and my skis more parallel. When I did this same thing on my Nordica FireFox (70waist) the turn initiation was like someone put me in a sling shot. It was a rip and I loved how quick I turned on them, but I don't think my personal skills would have improved as well.

When I'm on the groomers, give me a skinny ski.
When I'm working on taking my skiing to the next level, give me a midfat.
When I'm in the bumps and steeps, give me a mid fat or fat ski.

*I'd like to post a disclaimer that I'm a gear ho, and am probably an extremist when it comes to ski gear.
ski holidays
I'd agree with other snowheads and say it's best that she demos others.

Then she might find one that doesn't nag so much. Wink
ski holidays
DB wrote:
I'd agree with other snowheads and say it's best that she demos others.

Then she might find one that doesn't nag so much. Wink
I agree totally.
No one knows what will make her grin, but we love helping out with a demo list!!!
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
No one knows what will make her grin, but we love helping out with a demo list!!!

Newer model? Longer? stiffer? wider? plenty of feel in the bumps? waxed? good in the rough? the list goes on ......... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

Newer model? Longer? stiffer? wider? plenty of feel in the bumps? waxed? good in the rough? the list goes on ......... Toofy Grin

Hang on I'm trying to get her skis replaced not me Shocked
latest report
DB wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

Now you're just making me hot!

Behave!! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, I don't think I can agree with you there. I would have thought that a ski that rewards good technique is a 'teaching ski'. From what you say it sounds like a person would have to work harder with fattish skis than with on piste skis. This may be ok for an advanced skier, but not an intermediate. I don't think you can describe piste skis as 'hyper-carvers' - I think your post shows that fat skis aren't such good carvers. And they aren't supposed to be , are they? And Mrs.Boris's brief is for a ski for 'mainly on piste'. I just find it odd that everyone jumps in and suggests that she buys off piste skis. Puzzled
snow conditions
I agree with you erica2004.

On my BASI 3 last season most people arrived on mid-fats and left on piste-oriented skis. IMHO mid-fats aren't developmental in the same way.

But we're all entitled to our opinions. And MrsBoris should be encouraged to try different things.
snow conditions
erica2004, The ski I most strongly suggested was the Victory, which is 74in the waist. Hardly a fatt-ish ski.

If you notice in my post, I didn't suggest that any of these would be idea for her, but instead suggested that she include them in her demo list.
I think most people are shocked at how much fun a midfat (80's ish in the waist) is as a carver.

IMO, no one should buy a ski without demo'ing if it is possible.

Threads like this should be to form a demo list, not to go out and buy.

On rare occasions, such as the bargains of the spring/summer, when many bought their elan deals(such as megamum) I suggest that you snatch up a deal on a great ski when you have a chance, even if you don't have a chance to demo.
latest report
SnowHot wrote:
74in waist

Gosh! I'd call that super-fat Wink
snow report
Quote:

I suggest that you snatch up a deal on a great ski when you have a chance, even if you don't have a chance to demo.
Yes, I did that, and was delighted with the skis after our first day or so together. But I wouldn't have had a clue whether I liked them or not if I'd just had them for a day. It took a little longer to fall in love with them. I suspect that normal, ordinary, everyday skis are all pretty good these days and that most normal, ordinary, everyday skiers can get on with them just fine if they persist. For real twitchy expert gear-heads there's plenty to argue about, just as there is with any kind of equipment.

But I can't wait till the end of season sales - I have another 6 weeks skiing to get in!
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
SnowHot wrote:
74in waist

Gosh! I'd call that super-fat Wink
Gosh, I'm 660mm in the waist, I must be enormous! Shocked
snow report
Hi, in resort now but leaving lunchtime so might be too late but......

my spec is same as Mrs Boris, am looking to get some ex rental Volkls if deal right. Have tried Volkl Attiva R1 over last three days and really liked them. Saw some Volkl Attiva RT's in shop too, came home to look up info but cannot seem to find anything anywhere! Any advice welcome snowHead
ski holidays
Mrs S matches a similar profile as well, and became convinced on the last trip that she needed new skis (while skiing her old Rossi beginner skis), mainly by me raving about the difference my new Atomic Metron 10s made to my skiing.

The "hire before you buy" idea never works, as at none of the resorts we have been to this year have had any "shorlisted" skis been available to rent.

So - when I saw a pair of Atomic Foxy Mamas (the women's version of the metron) on sale at Filarinskis for £207 it was too good to miss! She hasn't skied them yet, but is happy to admire them as they match her Lange boots, and are feminine but too girly. On a pratical level, at 74 underfoot, and 124 tips they should be good on piste, and OK for a bit off as well. If my Metron 10s are any clue they will turn really well - a radius of 11.5m in 157.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

Mainly piste skiing, odd bit of the edge or between pistes
Confident on groomed reds
Will tackle bumps and blacks when required
40 yrs old
good level of fitness
nagging husband wink

I'm also surprised about the number of recommendations for mid-fats / powder skis. For the above criteria, it seems to me like a more piste oriented ski would be more fun. How about K2 Burnin Luvs, Fischer Vision Breeze or Vapor, Head Every Thang? Those type of skis are also fine for the odd foray off the side of pistes etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy