Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to geneva half term 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

How much should i be expecting to pay for a return flight to geneva from birmingham/Manchester in half term 2009? Furthermore, when do the budget airlines release the flights?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

welcome to snowheads snowHead

I'm quite interested in this as am considering doing a DIY trip in the Feb Half term 2009 as well. I suspect the advice from those who have tried it might be - go with a tour operator at half term but you never know !

Most budget airlines release their flights 3 or 6 months in advance - have a look at those your interested in - its easy to see how far ahead you can book on their websites.

Good luck in your quest Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep an eye on here around May/June/July time - Snowheads are pretty good at noting when flights are released for sale. From others' experience, if you can book on the first or second day of release you can get good prices - leave it a week after they've been released and the price jumps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So would you say around June/July time? What will be a sesnsible price? Because they're currently available for £285 with Thomson via FirstChoice.

Thanks for your help Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I booked for this halfterm week - flying out this Sat, back a week later. Thomsonfly's were released first and were ridiculously expensive out of Doncaster (my 1st choice), can't remmber how much, but it was steep. I booked EasyJet from Luton on 29th June, and it cost me £140 return. We decided to get on and book rather than wait for E Mids to be released - they don't release all routes the same time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I flew at half-term I was shocked at how expensive the lo-cost carriers were, right from the moment the tickets went on sale. It was cheaper to fly with BA (or would have been if I hadn't waited until Easyjet had released their prices). The scheduled airlines release their flights about 11 months in advance. As with the lo-cost carriers, the earlier you book the cheaper the flight will be.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I booked Easyjet LTN-GVA the day they came on line late June & paid £520 for 2 adults & 2 children.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
............. As with the lo-cost carriers, the earlier you book the cheaper the flight will be.

Mostly, but not always. There can be later free ski deals, and even reduced seat prices. that said, I usually book as soon as possible.

Looking ahead into 2009, who knows? Fuel prices may be higher - but so may be competition for seat sales.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
............. As with the lo-cost carriers, the earlier you book the cheaper the flight will be.

Mostly, but not always.

I haven't seen any last minute discounts through the BA website in a long time. I often check a day or two before I fly (then see how many seats are empty). Maybe BA unload their inventory via places like Lastminute.com, but for Geneva flights they don't do big discounts for unsold seats in my experience, sadly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads 3thr3e.

My strategy would be to try to book as early as possible and, if you can't get a flight within budget, wait until the next opportunity.

If you're prepared to go to either London or Manchester then you've got a choice of BA or Swiss. BA book 340 days out and Swiss book 11 calendar months out. Get in there pronto and you'll pay less than £100 a flight.

If you look on the BA website you'll see that you can currently book for the beginning of Feb - so you've only got a couple of weeks to go.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, sorry, I was a sloppy with my reply, which was meant to apply to airlines such as easyJet, rather than BA.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, sorry, I was a sloppy with my reply, which was meant to apply to airlines such as easyJet, rather than BA.

I see. I don't check Easyjet's prices for last minute deals as much as I do with BA (because I fly with BA most of the time), but occasionally I'll look at Easy's site and there doesn't seem to be much late discounting there either. Am I missing something?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looked. Easyjet Liverpool-Gva tomorrow for a week is about £140 return, E.Mids £170 but from Luton it's about £200 - obviously the routes aren't full, but they don't seem to be good deals for 'lates'. My Luton ticket cost £140 in June and a friend who booked the day before got it about £20 cheaper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Realted tip - have a look at www.skyscanner.net. I've found it quite handy for comparing prices quickly without having to trawl through half a dozen airline sites. Also worth mentioning that Swiss out of London City can be quite good value into GVA even when easyJet etc have gone through the roof.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Better get in quick as all the schools/local authorities have the same week in February off in 2009 - not good for anyone!!!
snow report
another vote for scheduled carriers, also the train (for us in the SE) can be cheaper than flying at half term if you add in the transfer costs.
ski holidays
We paid £74 a head flying out this Sunday (happy happy happy I'm going skiing this weekend snowHead ) to Grenoble from Gatwick booked in June (I know it's not Geneva or Birmingham/Manchester). We also paid £89 to Basel about 8 weeks ago for this weekend after I realised I'd booked my son 2 seats on the LGW/GNB flight and none for myself Embarassed then connecting by train to St Gervais. But as snowandtrek, says it may not be so easy next year if we're all off together.

The other way we've got 'cheap' flights for half term is to fly into another european airport that has onward flights to a ski destination. I think the year before last we paid £65 or thereabouts Stansted - Berlin - Geneva when the direct flights were around the £230 mark. It involved a bit of hanging around and hearts were in mouths until both flights were in the air but saved a LOT of money!
snow conditions
so £284 return with firstchoice at the moment is not a good price? How long will BA's flights remain cheap after release?

Thanks guys
latest report
3thr3e - they will stay at their lowest for maybe a day or two - no more. But probably won't hike up that quickly.

In my experience, procrastination of any sort is seldom an effective way of securing good flight prices and I've now got in to the habit of staying up and booking at a minute past midnight.
snow report
it is a game of observing the pricing. We lost it last year and didnt get the best price

They fluctuate all the time. At one point for 4 people LTN-TRN it was £550 and that is what we paid which was about a week after they had been released. They rose to £700 and then dropped to £350 for all of us.
ski holidays
Quote:
its easy to see how far ahead you can book on their websites.

The websites are no use at all in telling you when the next set of schedules is going to be released, and neither is easyJet's system whereby you register and they send you an email. The most reliable way, by far, is to keep an eye on Snowheads; there's always someone on the button. I booked sun/sun half term returns for friends last year, within 20 minutes of the flights being released (and yes, I read it on Snowheads, though I had checked the easyJet website earlier in the day). The flights were about £60 return; they had tripled 36 hours later, when I got the official easyJet email!

Sunday/Sunday is cheaper and easier, but of course practically all the accommodation in France is let Sat/Sat. That family was coming to our apartment, hence Sunday flights. Some English owners rent out Sun/Sun, which is going to be heaps better. Even better is to go some other time; half term next year is going to be even more of a nightmare than usual. It's a bit of a risk booking Sun/Sun before you have sourced your accommodation.
ski holidays
I know that everyone wants to get to Geneva BUT - depending on which resort you are going to - it is sometimes worth considering Ryanair to Turin or Milan Bergamo. Flights for a few pence (plus tax) aren't unknown at half term, New Year etc.

From Turin, it's an easy motorway run (under 2 hours) to the Mt Blanc Tunnel for Chamonix, Portes du Soleil etc and even Espace Killy, Paradiski and 3 Vallees are do-able if you're prepared to drive for about 4 hrs, which isn't too unrealistic.

Milan Bergamo often has the cheapest fares - ridiculously cheap on lots of occasiosn but adds about an hour's drive to the Turin times.

If you want to plan a France ski holiday round a Turin arrival you are spoiled for choice with unheard of (but some big) areas in the Maurienne Valley - about 90 mins drive. There are over 20 ski areas in the valley. Have a look at St Francois Longchamp (linked to Valmorel), Valloire or the gondola from Prorel which links into the 3 Valleys at Val Thorens.

Then there is Serre Chevalier (90 mins from Turin, 2.5hrs from Bergamo). Massive area and great skiing.

OR, if you want to avoid the French half term crowds, why not ski in Italy? It is generally nothing like the swarming pistes of France at peak times
ski holidays
mountainaddict, I agree with the sentiments about Turin. Cheap flights near lots of ski resorts.

Montgenevre is another resort, which is 1 hour 15 from Turin.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
achilles wrote:

I see. I don't check Easyjet's prices for last minute deals as much as I do with BA (because I fly with BA most of the time), but occasionally I'll look at Easy's site and there doesn't seem to be much late discounting there either. Am I missing something?

Prices usually go up with time, but they can dip for a bit - though I don't think it's usual. More often, there can be a special deal introduced for free ski carriage - and the offer is not retrospective.
ski holidays
It's uncommon for easyJet prices to go down significantly - far more common for them to rise, especially in peak times. If they drop, and you are on the ball, you can get a refund of the difference in the form of a credit against future trips. For half term with easyJet there is no sensible argument against booking in the first ten minutes.
latest report
pam w, agreed.
latest report
Ok guys ive read all your comments and they have been very helpful. However i dont think i will be in a position in just over a week to book a return, although the BA flights look as though they will be very cheap.

As a guide could someone please advise me what i should not be paying more than for return flights? Looking at booking around May time? From experience?

Thanks
snow conditions
3thr3e, the easyJet flights will not be available till after May. Summer, sometime. Maybe July? Can't remember exactly when it was, last year. Have you got accommodation booked? If you can find something with a Sunday changeover, go for it now. You'll get a better choice of flights and a far easier transfer in and out of resort. It's good to have a range of airports (e.g. you might find flights into Grenoble, or Turin, or Zurich, or Geneva, varying in price quite a bit. There's no such thing as "what you shouldn't pay more than". You'll have to be very fast on the button to get flights for less than £100 return. Any more than, say, £180 and I'd be looking to drive!

As a very, very, rough guide I reckon that a car journey will cost you around £400 - £450 return, if you do an overnight in a cheapish place and don't drive a gas guzzler. However, driving at half term can be a bit grim.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy