Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I think I can now ski, but whch route would YOU choose

Poster: A snowHead
Well the 20th of January saw me fly out to Grenoble with a couple of friends and a whole load of folks I didn't know. As a surprise for my 2 mates I booked a lesson with snowHeads known star in Tignes - Stewart Woodward. Unfortunately the weather dictated that the lesson be changed from Tuesday to Wednesday and this meant Stewart could not manage the lesson and appointed the wonderful Rorie Scott instead.

Rorie gave us a great lesson and concentrated on the things we were weak at. This included bumps and steeper slopes.

The picture shows my mate Phil, in his borrowed jacket (a long story), looking back from the Solaise in Val d'Isere across to the Belvarde side of the resort. By Phil's left ear is the notorious blue piste rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Santons. This is a gun barrel that is quiet steep in places and absolutely hideous at the end of the day. Above Phil's left arm is the Epaule du Charvet black piste. A piste that has a big orange warning sign across the piste at its entrance VERY DIFFICULT PISTE - FOR EXPERT SKIERS ONLY.
I fell twice near the top, well chickenshit collapses back onto the hill really, and Rorie came over, told me that I was not angulating, and was not driving the lower ski in when on a smooth section. All was fixed and we made it down. The look back up was amazing, we felt we "could now ski".

If you click on the picture below and then click it again you will see the little ants on Santons, and the empty bumps of the Epaule du Charvet. Which way would you choose?.

Me....... I would choose Santons Embarassed Embarassed unless I knew the snow on the bumps was in good nick. If you cannot ski bumps then you MUST have some instruction at it as it will help your general skiing hugely.

Thanks again Rorie

snowHead
Proof of our "1st lift" mentality for the week
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, to be honest, the preferred route looks like a big traverse ruond above his right arm and down some powder. But then I don't know that terrain so couldn't be sure.

Otherwise, bumps every time for me... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
South facing slopes in that area and very prone to slipping in the afternoon sun. Santons can be horrible - busy with many unconfident skiers, bumps as it narrows. The black gets my vote but a nice variation is in between the two, basically big traverse above santons on the north facing slope, normally nice snow, traverse a little drop down with a few turns traverse a bit more. Quite steep as you drop back on santons or pop over back to Epaule du Charvet. Come the spring santons is normally shut in the afternoons so no decision. Face is a nicer route down.

Frosty the Snowman, if you like bumps then get yourself over to st anton not to be confused with santons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which ones nearest to a restaurant wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, I skied the Epaule de Charvet, back in 2000 when I was dying with the flu and just wanted to get home. I just picked the most direct route, as I was feeling so terrible. Don't remember much of it, except it didn't take that long to do. Haven't skied it since.

Pray tell the story of the dodgy Spyder jacket. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, I started it by forgetting to collect my money that I had ordered through Travelex.co.uk at the airport rolling eyes Phil ripped the mickey out of me throughout the transfer, which was rather tiresome UNTIL he left his ski jacket on the transfer bus Laughing

We got the jacket back on the day before departure, but luckily a fellow party member had brought 2 spyder jackets Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled (as if one was not bad enough wink )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The best run is the one between Santons and the black. Nice steep trees. Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That Santon's a BLUE ?? Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, Only in colour on the piste map. The bottom section should certainly be red in any kind of snow and at any time of day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly wrote:
That Santon's a BLUE ?? Shocked Shocked

That's one of the reasons why some of us don't advocate Val d'Isere for groups which include novice skiers. But there are other reasons as well...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
... which are?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When i was in Tignes our chalet host took me down a short "purple". It was supposed to be blue, but Shocked Shocked Shocked . When I told Stewart where I'd been he said in his view that piste has distinctly red sections! That rather made me feel better, I must say!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly wrote:
... which are?

All the runs, even the 'easy' ones, down to the resort are steeper than indicated by their piste colour, and get icy very quickly from people skidding sideways. Some of the home runs at the end of the day can be carnage. I really like Val d'Isere (even though it gets frequently bad-mouthed here); it has some brilliant skiing, a large domain, I like the village, etc, etc. But I wouldn't go there if there was a novice or timid skier in my group. If that was the case and everyone wanted to ski Espace Killy I'd recommend staying in Tignes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, We stayed in Tignes for 3 days at the end of April but went to VdI for a visit - the others skied but the lifties were quite happy for me to go up/down as a foot passenger to join them for lunch - and in fact we ALL came down the last lift as my friends weren't happy with the conditions by then (slushy).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly wrote:
rob@rar, We stayed in Tignes for 3 days at the end of April but went to VdI for a visit - the others skied but the lifties were quite happy for me to go up/down as a foot passenger to join them for lunch - and in fact we ALL came down the last lift as my friends weren't happy with the conditions by then (slushy).

Yes, it's possible to take a lift down all of the 'easy' pistes to get back to the resort. I just prefer not to, and I'm not terribly keen on novice skiers being forced to take the lift down when more experienced skiers can ski home.
ski holidays
Rorie found me a brilliant easy route that I'd like to have done a 2nd time if there longer. We went up Paquis from Lavachet to join Piste H down into Val Claret. (Apparently the upper bit of it's steeper, but it was lovely where we joined it).
snow conditions
rob@rar, i've been know to get the la daille gondola down in the past to avoid the end of day carnage. I've skied val with beginners and I don't think getting the lift down is a problem, there are lots of good beginner slopes higher up all over val.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, nice thread title. After four days with you in Austria the other week tho, don't kid yourself Wink
latest report
waynos wrote:
rob@rar, i've been know to get the la daille gondola down in the past to avoid the end of day carnage. I've skied val with beginners and I don't think getting the lift down is a problem, there are lots of good beginner slopes higher up all over val.

There have been times when I wish I had caught the bubble down! I really dislike taking lifts back down the hill when there is a skiable alternative, so try not to do it myself, and I equally dislike requiring novice skiers to take the lift down especially when there are pistes which (in theory at least) are suitable for novices.
latest report
Charlatanefc, .... Frosty the Snowman is very strong skier, esp in tricky conditions - jonpim and I did a day with him in Tignes last month. He needs to work on his jokes though ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Which way would you choose? Get yourself a few hundred metres to the right of the Epaule (ie further up the valley) and come down the lovely off-piste routes there wink

(and never ever the Santons Shocked )

Laughing
snow report
I LOVE SANTONS!!! Truly I do. Top to bottom in one fell swoop. No stopping. Bring it on............ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
I'd pick the lumpy bit because a) it's in the sunshine and b) it's not going to be full of nutters doing 'top to bottom in one fell swoop'.
latest report
waynos wrote:

We (RachelQ, JohnQ and myself)used to sit at the bottom of the La Daille at the end of the day when there was just a small hut there selling great mulled wine and watch the carnage, it was great fun in a twisted sort of way, that must have been in the 80's before the olympics

Frosty the Snowman great photo, wish I was there, so will you be giving bump lessons at the EOSB, the last person to teach me was not much good, managed to put me in the hospital on my first day wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Faced with that choice, I'd go Bananas. wink
ski holidays
Yes, I agree - Banane is the way to go. (Was just going to say so but you got there first)
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I've been down the bumps ONCE . . . mostly on my ass (head,ass,face,groin,knees,head,ass,etc.) and haven't been back . . . perhaps it's time for a revisit Shocked
latest report
Masque, When visibility is poor and the piste chopped or mounded (typical end of day stuff) a bit of knowledge on how to do bumps is a great asset. My technique went out the window in a rush in the above conditions, but the past few days has seen me enjoy bumpy pistes, and with very little extra effort.

Kramer, snowball, I can see Banane on the map....but what is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Generally, the one with less people on it and always favour the black.

The most dangerous pistes are the ones with loads of out of control ants on it...IMV..as they are likely to do more damage to you than a slide on a black.

4 o'clock type runs ( zillions of ants ) can be a fun blast..but not normally at 4 o'clock
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Masque, When visibility is poor and the piste chopped or mounded (typical end of day stuff) a bit of knowledge on how to do bumps is a great asset. My technique went out the window in a rush in the above conditions, but the past few days has seen me enjoy bumpy pistes, and with very little extra effort.

Kramer, snowball, I can see Banane on the map....but what is it?

Banane is one of the more famous and well used off piste routes (some, like the Tour du Charvet or Grand Vallon are more than just routes since they cover a big area of possible skiing).
snow report
Although it is a bit avalanche prone due to it's aspect I believe.

Not a place to be without probe, shovel, and transceiver.
ski holidays
BTW
everything that Rob says about Vaal D'Isere (good and bad) is spot on!

J
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I can see Banane on the map....but what is it?

Literal translation from the French is, 'Banana' .... a finger-shaped fruit; tropical tree bearing this ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Santons would be great fun if it didn't get so many nervous people on it, but then I'm on a board and it is like a natural half pipe which means I can ride up the sides and spin. Unfortunately you can't always do this because of the number of people on it. Much more annoying is the long flat which I'm sure I could cross on a board if it wasn't for the number of people slowly picking their way down the narrow steep bit.

I agree with your sentiment though: quite often snow is better on harder runs and they're certainly less busy and most people on them know what they're doing. Santons should probably be a red but it is fun when not busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy