Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arrgghh Best Resort (EU/France)?

Poster: A snowHead
I know - this question has probably been asked a million times! rolling eyes

Basically I am charged with booking a 1 week hol for myself & 5 others... I don't wanna screw up.

Needs to be one of the best resorts in Europe, preferably France, but open to suggestions.

Requirements are:

Decent snow!
Suitable for Boarders (no long flats/long drags)
Friendly resort
Lots & lots of Area
Decent nightlife (we are not clubbers, but all 30 somethings - we just want a selection of decent relaxing bars etc)

So far... I've been thinking about... St. Anton, Val D'Isere, Val Thorens...

PLEASE PLEASE advise me... need to book asap!!!!!!!!!! Blush
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton ain't in France!

Others to add to the mix would include Les Deux Alpes, or Chamonix,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
St Anton ain't in France!

I know Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
europa, Cervinia - that ain't in France either Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Lech
awesome snow, good bars and restaurants, and generally just the sort of place that makes you feel good about yourself and glad to be alive! Austria is also far more friendly than (most of) france.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like Jungfrau region....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Add Alpe d'Huez to the list! Has something for everyone and tends to be cheaper too. Especially if you book last minute.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being a boarder who has lived in Basel for a year I would also highly recommend Davos and Zermatt. (although Switzerland is not France and it's not even EU!)

Davos = Parsenn and Jakobshorn are mountains that just feel "right" for boarding. Perfect gradient, long runs, good snow, good lifts, loads of easily accessible between-the-pistes powder. Lively but ugly town.

Zermatt = the one resort in the world that MUST be visited before you die. Everything a ski resort should be.

I very much agree with Chamonix and St Anton but to get the most out of them you need to hire a guide to explore the off-piste.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Val d'Isere...overpriced, overcrowded and the pistes are dull with lots of flat bits especially in the area above La Daille. (again you need to do the guided off-piste thing there IMHO)

Top of my list of places still to visit in France is Serre Chevalier. Loads and loads of runs both on and off piste, in trees and above, and La Grave is just up the road. A quick and easy transfer from Turin airport too.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-02-08 17:04; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, it doesn't have to be in France... NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimSearle wrote:
Go to Lech
awesome snow, good bars and restaurants, and generally just the sort of place that makes you feel good about yourself and glad to be alive! Austria is also far more friendly than (most of) france.

Lech is v expensive. Stay in St Anton and travel over to Lech for the day. Runs around Lech are v good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Teckie wrote:
I like Jungfrau region....

Low, often crap snow, Murren excepted.

(sorry to pee on your bonfire Teckie!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd, First in Jungfrau is nice... But then again, I've not been many places. The other 2 were Charmonix and Arinsal. Arinsal was crap and Charmx was soooooooo inconvenient. I hate the crowded buses.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Teckie, First faces south and top height is only 2400m which is low by Western Alpine standards. Murren has better snow reliability (up to 2970m) but even there most of the (limited) runs are below 2300m-ish and the lower slopes really bake in the afternoon sun.

I've been to Jungfrau on three seperate occasions (once in Jan, twice in late March) and have been lucky with good snow each time (although TBH all those trips were booked last minute). Slope orientation and (lack of) altitude means you take your chances if organising in advance.

In Chamonix a car is pretty much essential. Or stay in Argentiere and ride the best mountain only Grands Montets.

Chamonix is also worth a visit just to be blown away by the most amazing alpine scenery in the world, ever.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz. Very boarder friendly. Lots of area.

What Chamonix loses by being somewhat spread out (those pesky mountains soooo get in the way) it makes up for in awesome terrain. And quite nice scenery.

Picture taken from my garden BTW.

The buses aren't any worse than anywhere else that's bus connected. As Teckie would know if she/he had been many places with buses! (and there are a few...) I find the darn cog railways around the Jungfrau incredibly slow and inconvenient myself Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hd, maybe I was lucky then! What does it matter, south or north facing?

This season its Val Thorens and Cervinia - so my fav place may change soon! snowHead
ski holidays
.... it's not been mentioned yet .... Toofy Grin
latest report
St Anton would be my clear winner. Though Val is excellent the apres in st anton (all of austria) pees all over french apres. I've spent a couple of half seasons in Val and don't understand why some people think it has excellent apres, unless you like to apres late and pay too much. Choice depends on what sort of skiing / boarding you're looking for. St Anton has loads of off piste, you don't need a guide for the lots of obvious stuff but like any resort having a guide will add another dimension. Snow record is excellent as is Val.
latest report
18 replies and La Ros ain't even been mentioned!!!
snow report
erm - where's La Ros?
snow report
johnboy,
Quote:
Decent snow!
Suitable for Boarders (no long flats/long drags)
Friendly resort
Lots & lots of Area
Decent nightlife (we are not clubbers, but all 30 somethings - we just want a selection of decent relaxing bars etc)

2 out of five isn't a good score
ski holidays
Teckie,

Across the valley from Arc 2000.
latest report
just got back from serre chevalier and out off 11 resorts i,ve been to i thought this was best ,might of got lucky having a 24 hr off fresh on monday but hey,apres ski is as good as the company and yourself ,just my opinion hope it helps. Puzzled
ski holidays
It might help if you gave the level of skiing you are looking for. Chamonix you really need to be a good skier and preferably into off piste. La Grave was mentioned but is only steep off piste only. Val Thorens you will certainly get the huge area. St Anton is fantastic, but perhaps not the best for beginners.
ski holidays
One word - Zermatt
snow report
Lechs not too bad, check out the Lechzurs websites to book hotels, you can find places for Euro 600 b&b for 2 people. St Anton is no cheaper for accom and the nghtlife is more expensive. But you pay for what you get ie one of the best resort in europe.
ski holidays
snowball, re Chamonix?
Quote:
you really need to be a good skier and preferably into off piste

No, not really.
ski holidays
pjheystacky wrote:
...apres ski is as good as the company and yourself...

Is a very good point, take the right crowd and find just 1 bar and you can have a ball.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
snowball, re Chamonix?
Quote:
you really need to be a good skier and preferably into off piste

No, not really.

Well the two furthest ends of the valley have beginner skiing but otherwise I wouldn't have thought it was very good - certainly not the Big Area asked for.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, not for absolute beginners (David Bowie anyone?) perhaps no, but anyone "intermediate" (what's an intermediate?) upwards - I wouldn't suggest "intermediate" (what's an...) = "good" myself... but maybe we're about to delve into meaningless semantics. wink wink
ski holidays
Skill levels vary (all borders), from excellent to learner 1st timers.
snow report
Teckie wrote:
hd, maybe I was lucky then! What does it matter, south or north facing?

It matters quite a bit to piste conditions, not su much if it is v good all round (good snow depth, low temsp) but as soon as the going gets a bit tough, south facing slopes deteriorate a lot quicker because generally more exposed to the sun..
snow conditions
europa. For a group of varied ability I still really recommend Alpe d'Huez! Perfect blue learner slopes in the bowl running down into the resort. Big blacks higher up. Lots of off-piste opportunities. Big area. Good for boards - few draglifts. Resort a bit concrete but big enough to find somewhere you like. Plus for 40 - 50 quid you can take the helicopter shuttle over to Les2Alpes for the day for novelty value!
Can't argue with other suggestions as they're all good resorts but I think Ad'H could be what you're looking for!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy