Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria early March - Yes, no, maybe??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all - new here, but seems like a good place to get some much needed advice... Puzzled

Going snowboarding for the first time (been skiing just once before) with 3 other relative beginners, but am finding it more difficult to find a late bargain that I did a couple of years back. Long story short, this has led to me being offered all three of the main Bulgarian resorts several times for sub-£400, when there doesn't seem too much available right now in this budget-range. Was initially sceptical, having only been to Val d'Isere before, but since we are all beginners anyway and will likely spend as much time in the bars as on the slopes... I'm starting to consider it seriously.

So... anyone here had good/bad experiences of either Borovets, Pamporovo or Bansko - any advice?? Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Daughter in Borovets now, boarding and having a ball. I'm there on Saturday for fourth time. Toofy Grin Cheap and cheerfull is the best way to decribe it. Booze and food cheap but not the best in the hotels, however eating out is not expensive and there are some good places to dine. Some good bars with karioke and Sky TV etc.

Good snow at the moment best for 15years they say.

I went last year second week in March and the snow was ok; may also go again this year same week.

Hotel wise avoid the Bor & Edelweiss as they are a good walk from everything as are the Lion and Zodiac.

I stay at the Ela, small hotel in the centre of town with a good cheap bar and all night happy hour. Madeye-Smiley

You can book lessons if required when you get there at better than tour operators prices, I have used the ski school at the Samokov Hotel and been satisfied every time. I would get lift passes via the tour company as they will be cheaper and less hassle than in resort.

Have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply JP - some good advice there. Seems like Borovets is the liveliest of the resorts, and since I haven't got time to learn before going, it's good to know the ski schools are decent - just hope they speak better English than I speak Bulgarian...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kingpin - just got back from Bansko it was awful! Ok so it was half term week but it was packed - hour and a half gondola queues and vastly inflated prices for awful food in the mountain restaurants. The town is a building site - really, it felt like staying in a hotel in the middle of a bombsite. Having said that, once you are up the mountain the skiing is good with plenty of challenging runs but not much for the less able intermediate. We went to Pamporovo last year which is prettier and better restaurants etc but the skiing is very limited and if you are a confident skiier you will quickly get bored. Havent been to Borovets but have heard good reports from friends. Our week in Bansko cost us £3200 in all for a family of four - ok we stayed in a 4 star hotel and the facilities inside were good but it was a real rip off and I feel I spent a lot on a holiday I didnt enjoy. The Bulgariens are getting greedy I am afraid - lots of people there were also very disappointed. Its the Alps or Canada for me next - bye bye Bulgaria!! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kingpin, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it is your first time, I would recommend Pamporova. Balkan holidays do/did a learn to ski package : lift pass, equipment and all day tuition for about £130 it will cost you 3 times that in the Alps and as you are a newbie, the skiing terrain however limited will be plenty for you.

I went to Bansko last August with a view to buying a place. IMHO avoid it like the plague it's bloody awful and it is obviously no different now after reading what Jennyski has to say about the place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy