Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Passport validity - only 4 months to go!

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone confirm that I will be OK travelling to Austria on 23rd Feb with only 4 months left on my passport? The FO website says its OK as long as its valid, but I wondered whether the airline (Thomson) might be difficult.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
phone thomson to check. If austria allow you in i don't see why thomson should have a problem with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tessaventer, my guess is that it would be okay, but always better to check. I think the rules in Europe are a little more relaxed than other parts of the World.

I'm off to Finland in a few days time and only have 3 months left on my current passport, so I hope it will be okay too - oh well, a few months in Finland skiing whilst the British Embassy sorts out the necessary.........life's a bitch eh! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austria will have no problem, Thomson might.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tessaventer, why on earth would Thomson have a problem? It's a valid passport. You'll be fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tessaventer,

Thomson will be in right if you are going for a duration exceeding 4 months. Well, are you?

The problem is bigger if the passport you are holding isn't a EU one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tessaventer, you'll be absolutely fine. Just renewed mine but my last trip on the old one ended 48hrs before expiry.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with above as long as passprot is valid on day of return you are fine for Austria
If you were going to USA you would be stuffed though Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garfield wrote:

Not true. Provided you have a return ticket valid for before your passport expires, you're ok. (at least that was the case 3 weeks ago). The old "6 months" thing doesn't apply.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I flew to Zurich with 10 days left on my passport, it expired 3 days after I returned to UK.... whci reminds me I need to renew it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tessaventer, I went skiing last year with 6 weeks left on my passport & my mother breezed through english customs last year with an expired passport Shocked wink the nice customs man said "mrs, cowan, you might want to renew your passport in the UK as it expired several months ago" Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Garfield wrote:

Not true. Provided you have a return ticket valid for before your passport expires, you're ok. (at least that was the case 3 weeks ago). The old "6 months" thing doesn't apply.

It is now a 90 days limit if you are eligible to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Programme. Info here.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tessaventer,

I was in the same predicament, just returned from Austria with 3 days left on passport. I was advised by the passport office to telephone the Austrian embassy. (I thought they were having a laugh). I did though, value my ski holiday too much. A lovely Frau said, no probs to travel back on the day of expiry, flew with Thomson and no problems here too. You will be fine, enjoy your hols, lucky you! Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was told that you need to have 6 months still avaialble for entry back in to the UK? Can't think why tho' Confused
ski holidays
halfhand, I've never heard that one (Assuming you are talking about UK citizens with a UK passport).

It has always been the case IME that some countries require you to have significantly more validity than the intended length of stay before they allow you te enter.

But there has never been any restriction on remaining validity for return to the UK.

In theory, you don't need a passport at all for return to the UK (the passport is a request to foreign authorities to allow you to pass), but you will then have to provide some other evidence that you are who you claim to be and that you are a UK citizen.
snow report
My recent experiences with passports would indicated that in the EU you are valid until the expiry date. I returned from France on the day it expired without any problems.

Always best to check with the consulate of the country you are travelling to.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy