Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Skating' movement on the flat

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, just to be clear - this is a skate steop through gates on a gradient? Or on the flat. If on the flat I don't have my head round this and will need to try it out in the morning. If on a gradient, errr, sorry but it does seem blindingly obvious to me.... wink

PaulClark, great post. That's the first time I've learned anything about 'blading on SHs - thanks. Just to echo, my skiing improved a lot (I think) after I got my first pair of blades. Although parallel turns on blades are not as intuitive to a skier as you might imagine Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, I'm puzzling on this as well. Is the (initial) use of the little-toe edge on the gliding ski for extra stability because the skate is being done (aggressively) down hill in a racing start, whereas a more gentle skate on the flat does not need the use of an edge for extra stability? Or does the little-toe edge have some use in steering the ski?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, no, not the step into/through a gate, but a straight power skate out from the start, although there are definite similarities between the two. I don't see there's any difference between the flat and down a gradient on this, other than the amount of effort required.

rob@rar, Hurtle, can't say I'm particularly competent at this, and can't really add anything beyond what taemo, comprex and PaulClark have already said.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, straight line or at a tangent towards a gate?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, I had actually never though about it as a down hill technique. I think I follow what you mean, when I was in a lesson with one of the instructors doing this I asked about it and come to think of it he did say it can be a race training drill.

David Murdoch, yeah I can see how it sounds like you would be going in circles, but comprex, has stepped in with a much more descriptive image.

Also never though about the 2 fall, ie using the time on the outside edge to get more. Definitely looking forward to trying this again in a weeks time. Oh I can hear the clatter of skis and poles now, mates looking on wondering what the hell I was trying to do. Always the entertainment Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulClark, I've never skated or roller bladed but for some reason your descriptions are pretty visual - very well written. I think I'll use yours as a starting point and thanks to everyone else as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, aren't you making this very complicated! It's just practicing transferring your weight from ski to ski and pushing with each foot. It takes a little while to get it - it's just a balance thing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, this skiing thing: it's simply sliding down a hill. May take a little while to get it, but it's just balance. How hard can it be?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, Oh, tell us more. You've never needed to have anything explained or be taught or shown how to do anything? - Cool Cool .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulClark, Not that hard at all, for a woman anyway.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jeraff, as comprex noted earlier, these are all "refinements".

If you can already skate, these tips will improve your efficiency. (I'm going to try them out tomorrow)

But if you can't commit your weight to glide on one ski, you're going to be in a heap of skis and poles for a very long time if you start by trying all that insdie edge outside edge business.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc,
Quote:

But if you can't commit your weight to glide on one ski, you're going to be in a heap of skis and poles for a very long time if you start by trying all that insdie edge outside edge business.

Good thinking! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jeraff, also helps to hum "The Blue Danube" while you skate
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Not 'Knees Up Mahva Brahn' then?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin "tea for two" Heckelman suggests "thrusting the arm and pole forward like a sword" to the outside of the gliding ski to help get your body far enough over (you are trying to counterbalance the weight of the other leg, boot and ski hanging in the air) - make sure you have plenty of space around you before trying that one Laughing
latest report
Jeraff, save that one for Moguls? Smile
snow conditions
GrahamN, comprex, et al, OK, I stand corrected. Yep I completely agree you skate onto the outer edge. Isn't it odd that there something you do every week and yet can't recall exactly what you do. Hey ho..
latest report
David Murdoch, I am still a little, uh, Shocked dazed at the Martin Heckelman technique discussed above.
snow report
comprex, this calls for a video. I'll see if I can find it.... wink
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
David Murdoch, I am still a little, uh, Shocked dazed at the Martin Heckelman technique discussed above.
Oh, thank God, I thought it was just me again!
ski holidays
Here you go folks Shocked
latest report
Yoda, is the puke-green all-in-one part of it, or can anyone have a go? spoo
latest report
See this animation http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/learn-skiing/skating.asp
snow report
I was surprised to see that this skating action is one of the competencies in the childrens new ski school record books. I gave it a try myself there is a definite knack to it.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
skating action is one of the competencies in the childrens new ski school record books.

oh Gawd... tell me they're not going to put skiing on the national ciriculum? can't the little devils just be aloud to play?
snow conditions
Yoda, Laughing Laughing thank you for that Laughing Laughing

My name is Inigo Montoya.

You outskated my father.

Prepare to die
snow report
Martin Heckelman scares me,
How about you?
He shouldn't be that scary,
He's only 5 foot 2

(with apologies / thanks to David Ippolito )

"Bumps" vid to follow
(now sorted ) Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 20-02-08 14:56; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Yoda, great video! Very Happy Very Happy I'd love to do that pointy thing with the poles on the slopes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (the first clip with the red cross on is a version of me Toofy Grin - note to self, must refine skating technique)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great video, the all is one sets it off perfectly! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
For effective skating technique on skis, one should look at cross-country technique - and these guys do not do double push. Skaters on ice and on inline skates do since a couple of years now, but skiers... I remain corrected once someone posts a video showing it.

demos, skating on cross-country skis for the last 25 years or so...
latest report
demos wrote:
For effective skating technique on skis, one should look at cross-country technique - and these guys do not do double push.

Bolt their heels down and they will.
snow conditions
I tired it on holiday - I know its not as easy as that video makes it look!! So why do people that can ski make it (and all the other skills) look easy? It's not fair!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
comprex, let's first say that their heel is almost bolted in. The skating bindings and shoes are very stiff.

Secondly, have you ever thought that the ski is at its fastest when it is flat on the snow? It is not fast when it is on its edge. That may explain why speed skiers round their edges. That is the reason why cross-country skiers try to place the ski straight flat on the snow as soon as it is possible. And that may also be the reason why in skating cross-country skis there are no metallic edges anyway. It is of no use to put the ski on edge but to try to prolong the period when the ski is totally flat on the snow - and thinking of trying to double push is plain impossible anyway because of the length of the equipment.

That's all I have to say. Show me the proof in favour of your theory, and I will answer - and apologise for being plain wrong. snowHead
snow conditions
Yoda, Nice one Very Happy . The section marked with the big red X - if I could do that, it'd be progress Embarassed
ski holidays
demos, I have thoughts, but we'd better save them for another thread.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy