Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Off to Alpe d'Huez - Any Advice /Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

My first post on here, but been reading many of the other topics with interest - it's great to finally find somewhere with what seems like good advice / topics.

Any way, after managing to final talk my wife into going on a skiing holiday (mainly due to us both losing loads of weight and getting fit since Christmas), we have booked a week in March (15th - 22nd March), to the Petit Prince Hotel in Alpe d'Huez. We are taking our 4 year old and 1 year old. The 1 year old is in the crèche all day and the 4 year old is having lessons in the morning and kids club in the afternoon, with the Misses doing Learn to Ski.

Reason for the topic was if any has any good advice for what to take? What to look out for? Any reviews of the hotel / resort etc? Would all be welcome? I take it there are plenty of shops / supermarkets in Alpe d'Huez for nappies, food etc for the 1 year old

I went skiing a couple of times as a teenager and the amount of organisation with kids seems to be alot greater.

Look forward to hearing from any one out there.

RedEd

Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78 wrote:
Hi All,

My first post on here... it's great to finally find somewhere with what seems like good advice / topics.

Just don't mention Helmets
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use the search facilitty to find reviews and discussion.
I have only been there for the day a couple of times to do the big areas of off-piste with a guide (much off the back of the mountain) so I'm not the one to answer. However, what sort of skiing are you looking for?
red 27, don't give him a link to one of the endless helmets discussions - he's new here - its like offering crack to a baby!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have just returned from Alpe d'Huez, stayed at the Castillan that was just across the road from the Petit Prince.

Alpe d'Huez is a great resort, particularly for mixed-ability groups since there is a huge bowl of green runs which a lot of the more difficult runs funnel into so it will be easy for you to meet up with your wife after her lessons.

The Petit Prince is effectively virtually ski in ski out cos there is a chairlift (Grande Sure) very close by though to be able to ski from the top of the lift to the ski school meeting point you need to be able to ski a (easy) blue. However to ski back from the ski school meeting point to the hotel is relatively simple since Alpe d'Huez is built on a hill so there is a path-like run from the meeting point to quite near the hotel (the Village). Alternative ways of getting to the ski school meeting point is a ski bus or a bucket lift that is less than 5 mins walk away but moves rather slowly (takes 20 mins at least)

There is a supermarket very close by in the same region (Vielle Alpe) that closes at about 7 pm. Walking somewhat uphill a further 5-10 mins to next to the ice rink in the centre of the resort and you get to a bigger supermarket that is open later.

If you're route finding on your own in the morning the advice would be to explore the outlying areas in bad weather or in the am first (Villard Reculas/Oz/Vaujany/Auris) since the lower areas have more trees. Higher areas are best explored in good weather with little wind and the glacier runs don't open till 10 am. Villard Reculas and Auris in particular have often less sun-exposed slopes that are quieter and pleasant that the popular main motorways. The sun however is a bonus for beginners, less ice and less freezing cold!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the helmets subject - I just can see bringing myself to wear one. I think it's a great idea for kids, but adults doing a bit of recreational skiing, I think not.

I am probably what you would call a low itnermediate skiier. Wife and 4 year old newbies.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
reded78 wrote:
Hi All,

My first post on here... it's great to finally find somewhere with what seems like good advice / topics.

Just don't mention Helmets

There's been lots about ski helmets but none about purple helmets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reded78, remember your swimming cozzies. There is a very good open air pool next to the skating rink in the middle of town. Well worth a visit to float around in the warm water looking up at the mountains (day or night). Admission was included when you have a ski pass (full area one needed I think) - at least it was included when I was last there about 4 years ago.

One point to note though. In a typically Gallic way, they won't let men wear shorts swimmies in the pool, so take trunks with you to avoid having to rent out some of theirs (yeucch!).

ADH is a great resort, hope you have a super time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that, getting really excited. However, spirits have just been dampened by thinking of myself in "Speedo's", I think I would rather wear a helmet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have been a regular to this resort in recent years - although we usually stay in one of the outlying villages ... Vaujany is lovely.

The great thing about this resort is that you can do so much of it on the gondola so if you want to take time out and travel the mountain beyond your skill level....you can!

Don't forget to take sunglasses for your 4 year old so that when the goggles come off, the sunglasses can go on. The whole area just outside the main accommodation area is like a huge ski field ... white as far as you can see.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
reded78, try thinking along the lines of Daniel Craig as 007 type trunks, not race type Speedo's.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably more like Borat, but with less chest hair and a slightly fuller figure.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we went to ADH in 2003 and really enjoyed it, we were with first choice too but in the chalet viking and it was pre-child days. I do remember the petit prince but not exactly sure where abouts it was located. we were based at the bottom of the bucket/lobster pot lift so had to go up that through the village to the main area where the ski schools met and from there there was loads of pomas and the gondola. Nice skiing area, wouldn't mind going back ourselves, let us know what you think of the petit prince and the childcare arrangements
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The childcare sounds excellent, however the proof will be in the pudding. The childcare seems like very good value for money (the creche for the 1 year old is about £95 for the whole week of full days), however, looking at the standard of the Petit Prince I think we may be paying slightly over the odds for the accommodation. Mind you if the kids are happy and well looked after I think that more than makes up for the cost of the accommodation.

A point of interest, my wife had tried to book one of family hotels with Crystal, but was passed around and hung up on about 5 times, so in the end she went with Firstchoice and the booking went extremely smoothly. There are a couple of recent positive reviews on the Petit Prince Hotel on Tripadvisor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78 wrote:
Probably more like Borat, but with less chest hair and a slightly fuller figure.
spoo
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
reded78, With regards to hiring your equipment, there's a brilliant Twinner outlet in the little shopping mall (Bergers Center) the staff are very helpful and the equipment is first class.

If you're going out for a pint avoid Le Sporting....I know France is dear but €8 a beer is extortionate!!!

With regards the skiing, I don't know where to start as it's amazing....but make sure you the Villard Reculas as mentioned earlier as it's a great run and the view is amazing.

Don't forget to have a jar in the Underground...tell Ben you were sent from here.
snow report
dazman wrote:
reded78, With regards to hiring your equipment, there's a brilliant Twinner outlet in the little shopping mall (Bergers Center) the staff are very helpful and the equipment is first class.

If you're going out for a pint avoid Le Sporting....I know France is dear but €8 a beer is extortionate!!!

With regards the skiing, I don't know where to start as it's amazing....but make sure you the Villard Reculas as mentioned earlier as it's a great run and the view is amazing.

Don't forget to have a jar in the Underground...tell Ben you were sent from here.

Bergers center is a little far away from the Petit Prince unfortunately! The great thing however about staying at the Petit Prince and its proximity to the Grande Sure chairlift that opens at 8:45 is that you can do some of the runs down to Villard Reculas from the top of the lift first thing in the morning on freshly groomed snow in ideal conditions.
ski holidays
I was ai the resort for a week in January and stayed just across the road from were you will be in Le Castillan. We pre-hired our ski's on line but on reflection I think we would wait nect time and hire from the nearest outlet purely for convenience, the nearest to you is a shop below Le Castillan. They seemed very friendly and had a reasonable amount of equipment.

The only problem with your hotel is it's location, it is the opposite end of town to the ski school tracks. It will mean some early starts and if the 4yo is green you will need to catch the bus which fortunately stops right outside your hotel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy