Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's NOT ****ing CourchevAl!!

Poster: A snowHead
sarah, Mirabell is the most common! wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MissRibena, I think the French pronunciation of Flaine is nearer to "flenn" than "flayne". I would guess that Morillon is pronounced "Moriyon". Whether you pronounce a double l varies. You do in "ville" but not in "fille"!! That's one to ask a local, maybe.

And, FastEddie,it's not as easy as you suggest. Pllenty of Francophones pronounce the X on the end of Chamonix. So there! And do you know how to pronounce Val Thorens? I also don't agree that they're easy compared to the Austrian ones - I don't know of any Austrian ones which aren't pronounced in accordance with standard German rules. Though I'm sure there must be some, which I'd be interested to hear about. Like MissRibena, I always preferred German, not only because it's easier for Anglophones to pronounce, but because German speakers are always so impossibly polite - they complement you on your German however schreklich it is. The French? Very rarely!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Pedant alert! I don't think 'flenn' does justice to the length of the vowel sound required and gives undue emphasis to the final consonant (assuming one is not, poetically, going to sound the final 'e.') If that's not pedantic, I don't know what is! Sorry! To add insult to injury, I'm unable to suggest a better transliteration. Maybe the 'ai' should be pronounced as in 'fair'?

My instinct on Morillon is the same as yours, but I've no idea whether that is correct locally. As for Thorens, I've never heard it pronounced other than with a sounded 's' but of course the second vowel sound can vary regionally: back to the Midi we go for 'Torangce'!

Can't opine on German pronunciation at all. Thank heavens for that! do I hear people say?

I've not found the French to be mean with compliments if someone's really trying hard.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
live in Morecambe and people spell it MorecOmbe Im really upset about it.

I feel your pane mountainaddict ( have you noticed what ive done)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, I too have noticed that locals pronounce it "Flenn".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roy Hockley, I'm not disputing the sound of the 'e' in Flenn in itself, I'm just saying that, combined with the double 'n', that transliteration doesn't allow you to rest on the vowel sound for long enough. [Oh God, who started this? I think my sig needs to be changed to something like 'Pedant driven to suicide by her own pedantry'Mad Mad]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, yes, fully agree. But flenn is better than flayne, which sounds reely onglayze. Short French vowel sounds are impossible to convey, and hard (for me at least) to copy - imagine trying to do a phonetic for "Claude".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, it's not at all surprising the locals call it Flenn. Compare, for example "ailes" (= wings). Pronounced, more or less, to rhyme with "tell". Not "tale"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good job I asked! The only one I thought I was ok with was Flaine Smile I got my idea about pronouncing the double L in Morillon because that's how a chalet-owner pronounced it when I was ringing around for accomodation. Mind you, the lady in question had an English accent! It's going to add an interesting dimension to our hols.

I've mentioned before that MrRibena is Romanian and I jumped at the chance of learning a few words and stumbled on the joys of sensible, straight-forward Romanian spelling - even easier to figure out than German. He scoffs at the idea of spelling tests because the pronunciation consistently follows the rules so much, that I can read pages of Romanian phonetically without having a notion what's going on and sound great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:

Native English speakers hardly have the monopoly on committing typos - personally I would put good money on the web site A being a typo

Well if it's a typo (which I doubt, it's more likely to be an English translation) then they're clearly not that fussed about the spelling of their own resort. How can they expect people to spell it "correctly" if they can't even be bothered themselves?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I just say that as a french person I found this thread fascinating!

Wish I had found it earlier! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler wrote:
Can I just say that as a french person I found this thread fascinating!

Wish I had found it earlier! Very Happy

Purr Kwa? Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Hurtle, yes, fully agree. But flenn is better than flayne, which sounds reely onglayze. Short French vowel sounds are impossible to convey, and hard (for me at least) to copy - imagine trying to do a phonetic for "Claude".

There's always ASCII IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet, not India Pale Ale). From what you and Hurtle said it sounds like Flaine would be /flE:n/, where the E is the short e in "pet" and the colon indicates it's held longer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, can you contribute some answers to the 'don't knows'? Auxerre, for example?

paulcl, wow, I've bookmarked that. A pedant's dream! That's exactly what I meant about Flaine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,

Toofy Grin

I would have said "poorkwa" but there you go! Laughing

It's simply fascinating to read this discussion between people struggling pronounce (some) french and their interpretations and stories... It shows the difficulty of the language (I do feel for people trying to learn french). And the funniest thing is there is often little I could bring because France has so many local pronounciations..I am from the south, with a thick accent from Toulouse, and probably the worst person to ask how to pronounce something correctly...
E.g., us southerners, used to have the mickey taken out of us by our Savoie friends because we pronounce the "s" in moins, whereas they don't...
If in doubt about how a local name is pronounced: ask the locals and ignore the rest... Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle,

personally I would pronounce Auxerre -> Oksair and my accent would mark the final r quite strongly and nearly also pronounce an "e"
I have also heard people say "Ossair"..

Morillon, I would have pronounced Moriyon..

Flaine is a trickier one. People from the south like me are seen by the "parisiens" as not pronouncing the difference between "ai" and "e" at times.. so I suppose "flen" or "flain" will be close enough anyway..
ski holidays
Kruisler,
Quote:

moins,

Mwengs?! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Brits also have dialect deviations. A few people sound the 'g as in get' part of the 'g' in 'sing' and 'singer', much to the amusement of us southerners...

The BIGGEST obstacle to French in my book is gender. But for that, I'd take pains to learn it. I'd be interested to know if there are any french who ever say 'luh' as somewhere between le and la, or 'uhn' as somewhere between 'un' and 'une' - because they aren't quite sure which it is... wink
latest report
crosbie, I always think that the greatest north/south divide in England is not The Wash, but how people pronounce the word 'one'. I know lots of people, originally from the north but who have lived in the south for ages, who speak totally like southerners save for pronouncing 'one' so as to rhyme with 'gone.'
snow report
Hurtle,

Spot on! Toofy Grin
South of the Loire we try to add a "g" as often as possible! Very Happy

crosbie,
Gender is never an issue for french people (I would think) because it's one of those things you grow up with. It's foreign to you guys because you don't use gender the same way we are...In grammar/conjuguaison I mean... so no confusion for le/la or un/une..

It was hard for me when learning german, and more recently italian, to "unlearn" french gender to the learn german or italian one..

When my wife was learning french, i really felt for her...so many times I was useless..she would say the rule say that but you guys say that..and I could only reply, that she was right, that particular case was an exception to that rule and there was no rule for that exception and that she just had to "know" about it like i only "knew" about it...
Puzzled
Very confusing for her...
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
crosbie, I always think that the greatest north/south divide in England is not The Wash, but how people pronounce the word 'one'. I know lots of people, originally from the north but who have lived in the south for ages, who speak totally like southerners save for pronouncing 'one' so as to rhyme with 'gone.'

Hang on...how do you weirdoes down South pronounce it? WAN? WEN? I'm confused....
latest report
FastEddie, so as to rhyme with 'run'. Toofy Grin

Kruisler,
Quote:

Gender is never an issue for french people (I would think) because it's one of those things you grow up with

Exactly. I don't have too much of a problem with gender (some words elude me from time to time of course, and they do even for French people) but that's because I started to learn the language at the same time as learning English, mostly by ear and before I started school. So, if it sounds right to me, then usually it is. That doesn't work with grammar/written French, though, and I do wish I had studied French as an academic subject beyond O-Level! Embarassed (Or that, like some other members of my family, I had been sent to the Lycee.)
snow report
Kruisler, I realise that pretty much all french people grow up knowing masculine and feminine as well as their own names, but there must be new words that even french people come across from time to time (and in some rare occasions without being tipped off as to their gender by context, e.g. le/un/du). So, just as the english will sometimes wonder how to conjugate the verb focus, or what the plurals of hoof and roof are, I wonder whether a frenchman will EVER admit to being unsure as to a word's gender? Or will they fudge it?

Talking of 'one', a french woman I know seems to be unfamiliar with a french equivalent. She may be right, but I could have sworn there was such a thing. Isn't there a french word 'on' that means 'one' as in 'a person such as you or I'?
snow report
crosbie, yes, one says "on". It's used all the time, sometimes instead of "they" as in "they've repaired the road" but more often instead of "we", as in "et si on va au cinema? Shall we go to the cinema? By the way, in English, the correct grammar is "a person such as you or me". Not I. You wouldn't say "a person such as I", would you?

I find that French people often correct the gender I use, if I get it wrong. That makes it easier to remember. Having once asked for "eau chaud" to be added to my coffee, and having the guy give me "eau chaude" I've always remembered that one. If I don't know, when I am buying or asking for something, I ask. In a context, and a phrase, it's so much easier than just sitting down in a vacuum.
snow conditions
crosbie,

"on" as you describe does exist..It can mean "we" or the french equivalent of "one" as in "one might want to learn french".
The thing is it implies a group/several persons, so that is where you and your french friend might your wires crossed..
ski holidays
MissRibena wrote:

I've mentioned before that MrRibena is Romanian

Ah, interesting, salutari!
latest report
pam w, there is grammar and there is modern usage.

"One might assert grammar over modern usage"

"A person such as you or I might assert grammar over modern usage"

"A person such as I might assert grammar over modern usage"

"A person such as me might assert grammar over modern usage"

If you search Google for "such as I" and "such as me", the former is more popular by a factor of 10 to 1.

I'm happy for you to be grammatically correct, but the language I've learnt inclines me to spout otherwise - just as I gladly split infinitives. Confused
ski holidays
FastEddie wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Hang on...how do you weirdoes down South pronounce it? WAN? WEN? I'm confused....

I'm a southerner (and a bit of a weirdo) and I pronounce 'one' and 'won' in the same way, to rhyme with 'tun' (or 'ton').
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond,
Quote:

I'm a southerner (and a bit of a weirdo) and I pronounce 'one' and 'won' in the same way, to rhyme with 'tun' (or 'ton')

Exactly. Me too (not sure about the weirdo bit!)
snow conditions
crosbie,
Quote:
So, just as the english will sometimes wonder how to conjugate the verb focus, or what the plurals of hoof and roof are, I wonder whether a frenchman will EVER admit to being unsure as to a word's gender?

Yes, that's what I was getting at too, and I've certainly met French people who are sometimes stumped. I don't think they'd fudge it, though - that comes back to wanting to pronounce it nicely, whether it's right or wrong!
Quote:

there is grammar and there is modern usage

Sock it to her, baby! No, seriously, I find an occasional dip into Fowler most salutary and it sometimes (but, alas, not always) prevents me from getting too arsey! I tend not to frequently split infinitives, though, I just don't like the sound of it. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, Fowler has a lot to answer for with regard to 'would' and 'should', persuading people that the meanings are inverted in the first person, e.g. "I would' meaning 'I am obliged to' and 'I should' meaning "I have a wish to' - when the reverse is more consistently conveyed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shall_and_will

Shall/should = affirmative/obligation - always
Will/would = predictive/preference - always
latest report
Hurtle, If I gladly split infinitives, then I don't see why it sounds so bad for anyone else to gladly split infinitives. It would seem awkward to have to switch it around, e.g. "for anyone else to split infinitives gladly". wink
latest report
crosbie, My brain hurts.
latest report
Never mind French resorts.

It seems no one outside of West Yorkshire can pronounce town names like Keighley, Sowerby Bridge, Todmorden, Slaithwaite or Micklewaite correctly.
snow report
horizon, Buna Ziua!

We've seen your posts and were dying to ask you about skiing in Poiana Brasov and Sinaia (we have a dream of starting a chalet there someday).
snow report
Mosha Marc, anyone who followed rugby league in the old days knows it is "Keith-lee".
latest report
laundryman, spoilsport NehNeh
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Never mind French resorts.

It seems no one outside of West Yorkshire can pronounce town names like Keighley, Sowerby Bridge, Todmorden, Slaithwaite or Micklewaite correctly.

Frankly, I doubt that anyone outside West Yorkshire pronounces them at all.
snow report
Mosha Marc, however Guisley and Guisborough are both pronounced differently (the GUIS bit obviously).

richmond, Bonus points for acknowledging that Yorkshire exists.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
David Murdoch, That's really weird. The French version of that Courchevel website doesn't mention the name Courcheval at all. Maybe your bit was specially designed for ignorant Brits?

That was my assumption as well. They know we can't spell it so have adjusted to suit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy