Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's NOT ****ing CourchevAl!!

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
richmond, Bonus points for acknowledging that Yorkshire exists.

Thanks. I used to live about half a mile from the northern edge of it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Towcester & Bicester.
Few can spell them, even less can pronounce them properly. But who really cares?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bicester=Pie Town.

No?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've heard of the Bicester bum then I take it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In all this, don't forget that the French don't even know how to pronounce the name of their own capital city (they apparently call it Parree, of all things).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, Towcester is easy to pronounce - its said "grill pan"

We have a Magdalen Meadows near here - very few can pronounce Magdalen

I remember my friend telling me of an Australian visiting him who called to say he was near Lo Hur Bo Ro Hu (Loughborough)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were playing Monopoly recently & my South African friend (who has lived in UK for the last 25yrs) pronounced Angel Islington as Angle Eyelington Laughing Laughing She couldnt understand what we were laughing at Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
I remember my friend telling me of an Australian visiting him who called to say he was near Lo Hur Bo Ro Hu (Loughborough)

Wot, not Loogaburooga?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch wrote:
Boris wrote:

Wot, not Loogaburooga?

Don't be stupid! That's off the Pacific Highway, not the A6. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, Music to my ears. There ain't no horses in Courchevel. This must be the most wrongly spelt resort in the world Smile Smile Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAVID SNELL, I love it, straight from the beginning of the thread to the end, without wasting time in the middle! Respect!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
Nick L, I like the tour ops versions
Val despair

Speaking of which...my irrational pet irritant is peple referring to Val d'Isere as just 'Val' as if there could only possibly ever be one.

Val what?

Valmorel?
Valloire?
Val Thorens?
Valmeinier?
Val Cenis?

etc
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some of my favourite pronunciations from fellow skiers include Le Zarc and Lay Manure...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Haughty Lucy?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She could be a glamorous sidekick for Les Prazz, who I imagine as a seventies style dart show host, with his mate Les Howchers.
latest report
Or perhaps she's one of those girls that the signs saying "Attention - Piste Debutantes " warn us about.
latest report
firebug, Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
How about Haughty Lucy?
You have completely stumped me there. Wossthat supposed to be?!
snow report
Hurtle, Hauteluce.
ski holidays
pam w, ah, that would explain it - I've never heard of Hauteluce! Embarassed
latest report
Hurtle. You can be forgiven for not having heard of Hauteluce, pictured. It's a pretty, traditional, village, in the valley of the same name - a "no through road" to the Col de Joly, in the Les Contamines ski area. Hauteluce itself is the lowest point, at 1150m, in the Les Saisies domain.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
mountainaddict, well according to the Courcheval Tourist Offie you can spell it either way... http://www.courchevel.com/courchevel/courcheval.html

A bit like Chamouny/Chamonix, Champolux/Champoluc, etc....

Hmm. That page does not exist on the French version of the site, only the English and Spanish. Surely nuff said?

Simple rule for anglophones: calling it Courcheval makes you[*] look dumb.

[*] Not "you", David Murdoch, the colloquial "you". I don't want to say "one" in case the chevaliers aren't familiar with its usage.
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Boris wrote:

Wot, not Loogaburooga?

Bumped this thread really to avoid starting a new CourchevAl one.
But as I'm here..
I thought it was pronounced "Lowbrow", as in "Lowbrow University"

[takes cover]
snow report
Most people don't know where they are in order to mispronounce it. I sometimes meet new people and have conversations that go like this:

"So, where did you go skiing last season?"
"Ooooh, ermm, it was that Teribel, no, no, Val I'dunno", turns to partner "where woz it babes?"
"Ooooh, errr, Italy wasnit, that's right Posh Becks place, Courblimey" etc etc until we all kill each other.
snow conditions
Who gives a f##k what most of SW London call this resort? Most of them couldn't point it out on a globe if their life depended on it. It is, however, a fantastic ski resort. Spoilt by the annual influx of morons! Marybell? Corshayval? Val Something? I've been once - never again.
ski holidays
Apart from the end of season bash, obviously.
snow report
jzBun,
Quote:

Who gives a f##k what most of SW London call this resort?
Oy, do you mind?! Laughing I know exactly what it's called, where it is and how to pronounce it. And I think it's a fantastic ski resort too. All this despite living in SW London. wink
latest report
Hurtle, But you are not most of SW London, are you?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, true, but aspersions were clearly being cast - generically - against SW Londoners! wink Quite justifiably, IMV, but don't tell anyone I said so. wink
snow conditions
Courchevel may have added Courcheval as a possible Google link to them because so many people typed it.
ski holidays
How wide can we take this? I was taught to say Conduit as cundit but now everyone says condooit. This thread could run and run (again). Laughing

Spelling edit Embarassed (Hurtle Laughing)..... (99) I really must pay attention. (100) I really must pay attention.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-12-09 10:01; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
Coeur-cher-VAAHLLLLL darlings, VAAAAHHHHL, to have a little swish about on my darling little laAAhcrwAAAH skis. Of course it IS such a shame about Christian but, gosh, you're all SO endearingly common.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Courchevel may have added Courcheval as a possible Google link to them because so many people typed it.
Good thinking! Sort of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'. Laughing

Quote:
I was taught to say COnduit as cundit
So was I. wink
snow report
Embarassed Hurtle, considering that was the point of my post ... (now edited)
snow report
I once asked in Scotland if they had a particular single malt and was told... "yes, if you can pronounce it right".
snow report
Is it Duck tape or duct tape wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

depends wt yer wanna pay for it m8.... Duct is gonna be twice the price .. same bodge

Bit like Courchev*l really. Same place but seems worth discussing every year Toofy Grin Perhaps costs more if it becomes Courchevel ???
snow report
snowball wrote:
I once asked in Scotland if they had a particular single malt and was told... "yes, if you can pronounce it right".

you should've asked the gobshite to give you a large one with diet coke and ice, see how they like them apples!
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

depends wt yer wanna pay for it m8.... Duct is gonna be twice the price .. same bodge

I suspect you meant that the other way around Smile (Duck being a brand of tape)
snow conditions
alex_heney, You must be quackers to pay those prices Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy