Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off piste lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
getting some off piste lessons at weekend.
I was advised to get some wider skis, say 80mm+ for this.
Would that be better than learning on my own skis that I'm used to which are 72mm underfoot?
Worried I won't get used to the wider skis as my lesson is in the morning and I need my piste skis for the day before...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, imvh opinion it depends on you and it depends on the snow wink If the snow "off piste" is not soft and deep then I don't see that wider skis will make a lot of difference. On the other hand many folk (including some at the EoSB test days for example) who think that they will have difficulty "adapting" to a wider ski are pleasantly surprised to find that they can ski them without problem Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what Yoda says. if you are used to them and the snow ain't deep enough to float on or isn't crust, use your usual skis.

Skiied some wind-packed powder cat-skiing last week on fatboys, which I had stuck to my 1080s or nomads. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, I did hire some wider skis for skiing in powder (really ace conditions) and it was MUCH easier than on my relatively stiff, narrow and heavy piste skis. Also, in breakable crust, I didn't go through on those wide skis, lovely Black Diamonds (but I'm a pixie.) For other conditions, I bow to those with superior knowledge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, the off piste where I am going is supposed to be a bit tracked. It snowed a week ago and forecast is sun for next few days. It's still cold so I don't know if it has had a chance to thaw and refreeze causing crust but won't know til I get there.
Can't be a huge difference in handling between 72 and say 85 is there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bump bump
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I was advised to get some wider skis, say 80mm+ for this

"Adviced". By whom?

If it's by the instructor, I'd follow the advice.

I haven't tried anything over 80 yet.

So for anything under 80, it made little difference TO ME.

But it's not the size only. It's the stiffness and the shape. All the skis I tried are relatively straight (no radicle side cut) and relatively soft. So they all worked pretty good even in soft deep snow. I even got the feeling they might be better "learning skis" because you can't "cheat"...Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am the other way, I haven't skied anything under 85mm, except I just bought a pair of rossignol zenith z9's about 2 weekss which are around 75mm. on piste I LOVE the rossi's, but if I venture off-piste, even into crud I always wish I had at least my K2 Public Enemys (85) and head straight back to the groomed run.
any kind of off-piste, especially fresh powder, go fat. and by fat I mean 90+
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skiied 90mm underfoot (pocket rockets) for the past four season, both on and off piste. I found them great on piste and even decide to stick with the after a day demoing "the latest and geatest". Off piste they were simply fabulous.

this year I've splashed out on some movement flames - much stiffer skis, and at 72mm underfoot rather narrower. On piste they were a revelation, very responsive and much better at holding an egde (unlike me who still struggled Smile). Off piste I did sink a fair bit deeper into the soft snow and it was, at times, a struggle to stop the tips sinking. When the powder turned to crust, we simply stayed on piste as the off pisted was so awful: I have no idea if the PRs would have been better, but my mate who skis 1080s (80mm underfoot?) struggled even more than I did in the crust.

Fat skis ROCK. You just have to learn how to ski them properly Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'l also getting some off piste lessons in a few weeks. I don't have my own skis but have recently bought a new pair of boots. Last night I went to the snowdome to try out my boots and got really narked off with the hired skis I was given. I've seen sharper edges on a Rubics Cube!! Boots were fine (thanks Lockwoods & CEM).

Anyway, I'm having a few days on the piste first to get me back into my stride before going for lessons. Should I stick to what i'm use to first to get my eye in, and then try off piste in the same skis or should I change before my lessons? I am tempted to see what the instructor says once they've seen me ski. Madeye-Smiley

Also, what ski length should I go for? I am 1.8m tall, pistes are no probs and would say i'm a good intermediate. I usually get 170's.

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh, I refer to my previous answer - and would point out that people have been skiing off-piste on all kinds of "old fashioned" skis for a heck of a lot longer than "fat skis" have been available wink Having said that, if your quest is for surface area personally I would say go for longer than 170 (eg Missions at 177/178?) for off-piste skiing. You'll probably find that a ski like that is pretty versatile on piste as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied off piste with my Volkls that are 69mm under foot. They were fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, apart from float, a lot of it has to do with how soft the ski is.
I'm pretty sure my HEAD Monster 72s aren't that soft and are more of an on piste ski. I tried them in some deeper stuff before and they weren't great, felt like I could only do short, slow, and small turns.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, cheers for the advice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman,

You don't need to make any firm decision until you get there.

If it hasn't snowed then you will probably need to work quite hard to get nice stashes.... north facing gullies will likely give a good return here but then they might not be easy to ski. Hopeully your instructor will help you find some stuff.

Unless it is a new dump, then you needn't go too wide. Maybe stick with 80-90mm and a manageable ski for you, like the Mission or the Fury. Both have big shovels and good float but the Fury cuts through old stuff quite well. Dynastar 8000's are suitable here as well. PE's ..??

Big common mistake at the start of a holiday is to keep turning across the hill...this takes a lot of impetus out of the ski in the turn and makes
the fight againts the hill/snow more than it should be.... you might not notice it in the tracks but you will notice the lack of flow between turns or your instrcutor will, for sure.

If the snow is rehashed boot high stuff, then it doesn't really matter what you use and you will want to take that with a fast GS line...and stiffness will not be an issue here either IMV. Only if it dumps 30 cms will you need to search out 90mm plus as the float and shovel stiffness will help the ski rises up out of the snow to turn...

All these things you will get a taste and feel for and don't be put off just because the snow isn't perfect. Learn to cope with all sorts makes you a more rounded skier in europe, IMV.

If you can make a nice set of turns in 3-4 day old stuff then that will stand you in better stead than perfect S's in fresh stuff..and once you can cope there the whole hill is yours...

Perfect powder is a rare things for holiday skiers so best get past that ASAP
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy