Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Future of Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
what do direction do you think it will take?

will be riding in comfortable boots in the future?
will global warming really affect the weather systems?
any new types of lifts?
any countries where sking where it will take off big time? Perhaps russia or turkey?
any new inventions that will transform the way we ski? like carving skis

just a few questions. Im just interested in what snowHeads responses are.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure on the rest but "comfortable boots" will never happen Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about personal jet propulsion units that drive skiers uphill instead of lifts?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I already ski in comfortable boots. I've had them six years as well, so hardly an innovation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher wrote:
what do direction do you think it will take?

Downhill.

Christopher wrote:
will global warming really affect the weather systems?

It could be argued that it already has, or why else are the glaciers being covered up in the summer?

Christopher wrote:
any new types of lifts?

Bigger/faster detachable 6 packs. Possibly more environmentally friendly ones (nearer to the ground, wind/solar powered)

Christopher wrote:
any countries where sking where it will take off big time? Perhaps russia or turkey?

With the 2014 Olympics in Russia, that may help it to become more of a destination, will be interesting to see how the old guard react!

Christopher wrote:
any new inventions that will transform the way we ski? like carving skis

Maybe thermally variable clothing (keeps you warmer when it gets colder, etc)
Waxless skis (always being talked about, yet to see a good idea make it through)
Computer controlled stiffness? Variable edges?
Lighter weight ski/binding systems.
...electrodes built into ski boots that help you fire the correct foot muscle to make the movements.

(if any of these ideas appear, I want my 10% for coming up with them!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinner, lighter, warmer, and more weather resistant clothing fabrics with better breathablity.

Lighter skis and boots.

Groomers that can turn snow into powder.

Goggle and sunnies lens that change depending on the light conditions (not just ones that go dark in sunlight).

Europe wide ski passes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The_Hirsty wrote:

Goggle and sunnies lens that change depending on the light conditions (not just ones that go dark in sunlight).

like that one!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lighter skis, lighter ski boots...purple all in ones make a come back
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

will be riding in comfortable boots in the future?

Puzzled

That's not the future. It's now. (or even past 5 years or more for me.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Near to medium term I can see more resorts introducing the "freeride zone" i.e. controlled off piste - maybe by reducing grooming or controlling not officially controlled slopes (subject to local nature reserve status etc).

Whether this might be anything other than a marketing move is harder to say.

Sometime around 2012 straight skis will make a retro comeback as the kids bemoan the fact that modern skis are just too easy to ski wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Artificial snow that stays cold and doesn't melt until temps reach say about 30C and is like real snow in all other respects.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Long straight skis, rear entry boots and fluro one piece suits Toofy Grin and mono skis will be the snowboards of the future. Anyone who wants to look cool will free heel Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh and hell will freeze over at some point so we can all ski there. Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Light saber technology will 'trickle down' to create hover skis snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, walk away from the green pills Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Christopher, skiing specific taxes. We're rich and we're addicts and so we're prime targets... Crying or Very sad
snow report
Snow that doesnt break your collar bone when you land too hard on it Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
monoskiing makes a come back....
snow report
Christopher, haven't a bloody clue, but I really like the question! Toofy Grin Let those with more imagination than me continue the thread....
ski holidays
Quote:

Lighter skis

Hmmm ... I've just gone into ridiculously heavy skis, in fact.

red 27, rich, are you? Fancy buying the rest of us dinner? Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, Well yeah, as it happens, I do... Can you get to Verbier March 1st - 4th? dinner on me in the Kings... Smile
ski holidays
breathable boots - I've always got hot feet.

tomtom for skiing

increased insurance cost

I very much like the idea of a piste basher that fluffs up the snow into powder rather than bashing it.

Strikes particularly in France as low cost EU workers demand access to work as lifties. (or is it liftees?)

The Euro keeps strengthening against the pound so that I can not afford to ski anymore
ski holidays
Glum, YOU decide. Finances and the environment seem to be out weighing the consumer. The W/C is under threat of economic collapse. Freeriding is seen environmentally and socially inacceptable. Retail businesses are suffering from internet competition. Lift prices are on the up, air fares are on the decrease. Second home owners are destroying the local economies. I don't have a light for my Cigarettes! Go figure.
latest report
waynos wrote:
tomtom for skiing

Kinda already exists - there are several GPS apps for phones, and a few have ski-specific information.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The W/C is under threat of economic collapse.

I've not noticed this - every public convenience I visit is booming. 20p for a
p!ss at London stations etc.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Finances and the environment seem to be out weighing the consumer.

Depends of the weight of the consumer I suppose. If lightweights have no future it's hardly surprising.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Freeriding is seen environmentally and socially inacceptable.

We have this problem on London's bendy buses. They board (sic) the rear section of the bus, and don't pay. Socially unacceptable, certainly. They also smell so, yes, they're an environmental nuisance. Primarily, freeriders are economically unacceptable.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Retail businesses are suffering from internet competition.

Presumably not those with proactive websites (this is getting serious). Cue John Lewis and other fine ski boot retailers.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Lift prices are on the up, air fares are on the decrease.

If Ryanair ran Chamonix's lifts you'd pay for wearing skis. What's the solution?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Second home owners are destroying the local economies.

Agreed. The answer is for people to live in ski resorts all year round, where they'd all go mad but the local economies would boom once they'd sold up in the UK (viz: Russian oligarchs in Courchevelski)
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I don't have a light for my Cigarettes!

How much is a pack of fags? How much is a box of matches? The tobacconist may be willing to give you a free box.
snow report
Complete change of tack but there to follow the last post would be beyond me: Provisional and full ski licenses that are linked to passes so apart from boy-racers who pass first time and are determined to go as fast as poss those of us of a nervous disposition who worry about being taken out by those out of control may feel more confident? Somehow tho it sounds in theory like a good plan I'm not sure it would ever work Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Do people with full driving licences drive slowly? The most obvious way to slow skiers down is to reintroduce rough ungroomed ski terrain. Off-piste skiers don't ski fast. Skiers in La Grave or Mad River Glen don't go very fast either.

The future of skiing maybe lies in the abolition of the Kassbohrer Pistenbully!
snow report
David Goldsmith, You're worth your weight in GOLDSMITH from time to time. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Compulsory helmets
Speed limits/cameras
Breathalysers
Fines
Bans
Fast and slow lanes
Congestions charges
Sad
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
If Ryanair ran Chamonix's lifts you'd pay for wearing skis. What's the solution?

If Easyjet ran the ski lifts they would all be orange, and at least one member of your group would lose a ski in transit.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:

tomtom for skiing

it already exists................avalable to hire from some resorts

www.satski.com
looks fun
ski holidays
helmets with a built in device that if it detects you take a bang to the head and it starts beeping, you then have a minute to reset the device, or it automatically calls for help.
latest report
waynos wrote:
breathable boots - I've always got hot feet.

Head Raptors, guarantee you'll never have hot feet ever again.
latest report
Skeletal boots - that is boots made in a space frame style with a softer material in the gaps to lighten them.
snow report
I'm worried about how much higher energy prices will affect airlines and ski lift operating costs.
ski holidays
Sorry to wee wee on everyone's bonfire, but with the amount of adverse (for winter sports anyway) climate change, outside Antarctica, there is no future. I doubt very much whether my grandchildern (if any ever appear) will ski recreationally
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Sorry to wee wee on everyone's bonfire, but with the amount of adverse (for winter sports anyway) climate change, outside Antarctica, there is no future. I doubt very much whether my grandchildern (if any ever appear) will ski recreationally

They will have to do it for a living then NehNeh
ski holidays
I'm slightly surprised no one has suggested Greenland yet as a destination ? Perhaps its coming.

Also I agree with Pistehead. It seems to me that the big breakthough will be a cheap snow substitute with a very high melting temeprature, presumeably water based ?

That would transform skiing in the UK and put all the indoor centres out of business !

Quote:

any new types of lifts?

Perhaps a move away from big chairlifts and a return to fast cheap Pomas, uncrowded slopes, moguls and obstacles rather than bland motorways everywhere !
ski holidays
I'm not looking for lighter skis and boots (several people mentioned that) - you need weight for stability - especially if you ski fast (and off piste).
snow report
sequoiaboard, That looks like a very good device. I assume you hire it for the week. Do you know how much that is?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy