Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone driven from Scotland to the Alps for a Ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
I am seriously considering it due to the current quotes I am getting for the easter break.

I still have to do my sums but quotes for SC apartments with Eurotunnel crossings are very competive cf the package deals.

Trouble is it will be a 2000 mile round trip for one weeks skiing!!

Perhaps a two week stay would justify it. Seriously though it seems a bit daunting with wife and two young kids in two, but most of the decent package deals fly from Gatwick anyway which means a 24hr trip to get there with the hassle of flights and transfers.

Anyone done it and survived??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know a family that did it last year. They have a 10 year old and a two year old. Think they had an 8 day stay in Austria. They left Central Scotland and got the ferry from Rosyth to wherever in Europe and then drove to Austria. They felt it was well worth doing and not traumatic at all. It worked out so well that they are doing it again this Easter!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scotabroad, Scotland to the Alps is more like a 2,500 mile round trip. Shocked I drive from Luton and cost wise it's about £450 - Tunnel, Tolls & Fuel for a Diesel Espace, so to that add the cost of fuel for a round trip to Luton
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not for a ski trip, but we drove to Landeck in the Tyrol region of Austria for a weeks kayaking trip a couple of years back. As long as you've got folk sharing the driving and a good map reader or sat nav it's fine. As long as you (and the other driver(s)) like driving.

Don't tell the cops, but on the way back, we made it from Garmisch to Scotland in 17 hours including the chunnel!! If you can plan it to include night-time driving, the roads are much quieter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rosyth ferry is good and very popular. well worth checking out prices and dates before you decide http://www.superfast.com/Scotland/English/cargo/sen_timetables08.aspx
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can (or could) get ScotRail Sleeper and Eurostar combined tickets from ScotRail, don't know what's available or what prize but just another idea to through in. Certainly the Rosyth ferry would save a ton of driving.

You never know, late March has often been the best conditions in Scotland looking over the last few years. Nothing worse than heading to the Alps for a mud and slush feast and coming back to know it's been a week of powder back home - been there done that!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it might be marginally cheaper driving thru eng. with a family but roysth is how I do it - saves a heap of driving & fuel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Priced up the ferry, a great idea and cuts out a lot of driving but at 828 GBP its not in the budget I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have driven and survived but it was not an enjoyable experience. The driving out and the holiday were fine, the driving back and the following week weren't. The drive back through England on the second day is the killer IMHO. Rosyth is as you say not particularly cheap and now with sailings only every second day is not convenient either. Sailing from Newcastle is a bit cheaper and they sail every day but there is an extra drive down to Newcastle and on the other side.

Have you priced flights and car hire? I can usually do a trip DIY during school holiday time considerably cheaper than a package. If you check out scheduled flights and look at a lot of different airlines not just the budget ones you can usually find something reasonably priced.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, I agree, the drive back, or at least the uk leg is the worst.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect DIY is the way to go - plenty of accommodation available at Easter. cheaper than Erna Low, too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
T Bar, I agree, the drive back, or at least the uk leg is the worst.

I'm in W Yorkshire and because of the last drive from Dover I won't do Dover any more. I'm doing Hull to Rotterdam or Zeebruger from now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
funny you should say this..... in fact yes we will be in March. Attending a wedding at Edinburgh castle then driving to France next day via Le Tunnel sous la manche. Adds a bit to the normal drive but hey ho....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Erna Low are doing a 3 bedroomed apt in France for under 400 quid inc channel crossing which is a real clincher, if I can get there cheap enough?? I also need to accomodate a mate from London on the trip who will share costs. What ferry operates from Newcastle, I am in Dumfries so Newcastle is easier to get to than Rosyth. Dover is about 400 miles so overnight driving wouldn't be bad, but I hear what is being said about the drive back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotabroad, that certainly seems extremely cheap if it's really 3 bedrooms as opposed to a sofa, a cupboard and shelf. Where is it? There will be plenty of accommodation in most resorts in France at Easter.
snow conditions
scotabroad, Assuming that you are quite close to the M74/M6 then I would think that 8hrs will see you to folkestone and naother 8hrs once in Calais will see you in resort. An overnight stop near the coast will be called for. This will add a couple of days extra to the holiday but probably worth it. Try taking the train or even flying from Newcastle/Glasgow/Blackpool?
snow report
we do paris area most years from perth and it'sd quite a trek. I have family in Leeds sowe usually break up our stay there. We have considered it but the extra travel time will mean we will have to do less than a week in order to get back for school. luckliy though fuel isn't an issue for us as hubby gets personal fuel with his company car. I think we are goiong to leave it until the week before and if we can't get a package then we might consider driving down
snow report
The ferry between Newcastle and Amsterdam set off at about 16:00 and a 650miles radius can get one to the fringes of French, Swiss, Italian and Austrian Alps via the fast route of the toll-free Germany after an overnight sleep on the ferry.

Going back normally takes two days because the ferry also leaves Amsterdam at about 16:00. On top of this would be the journey back to Scotland.

I find the Newcastle/Amsterdam service to be ideally suited for Austrian and Swiss resorts. As a couple we never had to pay more than GBP400 inclusive of prebooked meals. Winter time on a ferry is low season.
snow report
kiwi1, using the overnight ferries means I have to take an extra day off work though, as they depart before I finish work for the day. We've only had one bad return journey, and that was in August on a Friday afternoon.
ski holidays
Done it twice from the North West via the tunnel no stopover. I have Mondeo estate with ski rack on the roof so loads of room and comfort.

I can honestly say that it is less stress than taking the plane with usual delays 4 lots of luggage ski carriage. 4 hour transfer at the other side blah blah blah.

As it is a company car and I do not pay for fuel in the UK, it gets filled up at Dover and I only have to fill up twice in France , so for me it is a really cheap option

You need 2 drivers who are both capable of high mileage high speed cruising whilst the other sleeps in confidence

14 hours Les Arcs to North west, apart from a couple of meal/toilet breaks, virtually non stop looking out for the speed cameras. Razz Razz

Time it right and your on the slopes for 8 sat morn, but by lunchtime you really are knackered.
snow report
scotabroad, ... have you checked out DIY flights rather than packages? A friend of mine came out a while ago Edinburgh to Chambery at very reasonable cost and if you look at Lyon or Grenoble (Glasgow) on non-transfer days flights are very reasonable. Coupled with car hire, it might give you options.

I drive out at the start of the season - Northern Ireland, Dublin-Holyhead, Dover-Calais, La Plagne, this year in one hit. It's a LONG drive.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
kiwi1, using the overnight ferries means I have to take an extra day off work though, as they depart before I finish work for the day. We've only had one bad return journey, and that was in August on a Friday afternoon.

The Hull ferry leaves about 6.30pm so works out great but after saying I'd not do the Dover ferry anymore I've just told Spyderjon I'd do that route for the EoSB. Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
My family drove from North Ayrshire to the Val D area in '06 for a week. Ferry-ed it from Newcastle to Amsterdam then drove all the next day. Sleeping on the ferry, it took 2 days travelling but was still worth it with 4/5 proper days skiing.

Couldn't say how tiring it would be, my dad was driving.
latest report
Did it lots of times years ago with Interhome. Could get an apartment and ferry crossing for less than half a package holiday. Usually left noon on Friday from Glasgow, stopped other side of the channel overnight, and could be in the supermarket in Moutiers by 6.00pm. 500 miles in UK, approx 650miles from Calais to 3 Valleys, Val etc.

Now cheap flights and the internet are here its not worth it. Even KLM type flights to Geneva and car hire will work out as cheap as driving, if you can get really cheap Ryanair etc, quids in!

So saying I drove in '06. I had forgotten how loooong the return trip seemed compared to the outward one and I probably won't do it again.
The big advantage with the car is the amount of gear you can take and you can also take advantage of the sales if you go at Easter, as I did.

I've gone via Newcastle and wouldn't do it again. Distance on the other side is nearly 750miles, it takes forever to get through Holland and Belgum and their motorways are rubbish.
ski holidays
I seem to be able to find a dirt cheap flight out there for 20 quid, but returnflights are proving a problem. Getting quotes around the 800 quid mark for a family of four return to Geneva, and that is without car hire, or transfers. So fly/ drive wil be close to 1000 pounds..

Agree with prices above re ferry costs, doing some homework it is about 400 quid to holland from Newcastle, but there is the drive to Newcstle, then the drive from holland??

Interestingly even with all the cost of driving it is working out significantly cheaper than a package holiday, and that is building in some contingency.

Ah jist dinnae ken Puzzled . It's definitely a feasible option if a last minute deal does not turn up, I think that is how we will play it. Thanks for all the advice, there seems to be a fairly polarised view of folks that just wouldn't want to do it, and folks who don't mind the hours??

Cheers

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
kiwi1 wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

The Hull ferry leaves about 6.30pm so works out great but after saying I'd not do the Dover ferry anymore I've just told Spyderjon I'd do that route for the EoSB. Puzzled rolling eyes

If I had a helicopter I still wouldn't make a 6.30 ferry from Hull, and the Newcastle one is out to.
This is not meant to sound bad, but we would also have to stop and visit Julians brother if we got the ferry to Holland, as he lives in Ijmuiden where the ferry docks. No problem with a visit, but not on our way to a ski holiday.
ski holidays
We are heading to Wengen (Switzerland) from Glasgow by train, if you book up ealry enough you can get a good deal, generally children under 6 travel free for the whole journey. We need to do it over two days as just can't get the connections to work, PAris in one day and Wengen the next using all these new High Speed Trains, the longest leg (time) is Glashow to London. We are a family of four.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy