Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help in looking for an Xmas resort...follow on from best resort ever thread!

Poster: A snowHead
howdy.

I'm going trip-crazy here! zermatt, les gets and now Xmas. have to get something organised soon though as good stuff getting booked up. So i was thinking Whistler...however not overly crazy about a 13 hour cheap flight with no leg room and a four hour trip from the airport. I'm sure it's good but there must be good stuff closer?!

so almost a follow on from "the best resort ever" what's the best resort to spend XMas and New year in!?!

*a resort good for 20-40 yr olds....my groups are usually mixed but all solos so no "romantic" resorts and very family orientated (although they loved Les Gets last year Puzzled. plenty bars, good pool, easy walk home to the chalet.

*Nothing too expensive. So that rules out Verbier, Zermatt and Courchevel. Some of us will be going for two weeks fully catered.

*a short walk to the chairlift/bubble from the chalet (or nice chalet companies who drive you there in a nice warm van)

*not too "blustery" i can get that at glenshee. biting cold wind, no tree cover, wet/rainy are all big no-nos. nice sunny days with great sunsets, amazing mountain views and outdoor cups of vin chaud are all good!

*loads of nice blues and reds. enough blacks to keep the hardened crew happy. good school for beginners as i often get beginners wanting to come alone.

So in my experience - I've only been one place that could satisfy that but snow cover isn't sure enough at Xmas....

so what are the recommendations!!?? All opinions welcome! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen_sheba wrote:
*not too "blustery" i can get that at glenshee. biting cold wind, no tree cover, wet/rainy are all big no-nos.

Well that's the number one best resort in the world ruled out then wink

St Anton? seems to fit the bill, although Austria doesn't really do chalets
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen_sheba wrote:
howdy.

I'm going trip-crazy here! zermatt, les gets and now Xmas. have to get something organised soon though as good stuff getting booked up. So i was thinking Whistler...however not overly crazy about a 13 hour cheap flight with no leg room and a four hour trip from the airport. I'm sure it's good but there must be good stuff closer?!

8 1/2 hour flight from glasgow and a 2 1/2 hour transfer the other week when we went.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, prob not then. isn't st anton one of the most expensive and exclusive resorts in the world? and if no chalets then i'm assuming overpriced hotels.

prog99, 8.5 huh? it's 6 to New york and isn't vancouver way on the other side? seems like they use the curvature of the earth or something if it's direct.

who did you fly with?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen_sheba, we flew with Zoom.

The whistler transfer time is very dependent on what roadworks are on the go on the highway at the time (its being widened for the Olympics)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen_sheba wrote:
isn't st anton one of the most expensive and exclusive resorts in the world?

No way, no more expensive than Les Gets certainly, and a quick google reveals plenty of chalets there. Great snow record, great skiing, banging atmosphere at Xmas - I really think it would suit you guys. snowHead

Don't cross the pond just for mediocre piste skiing in -30c temperatures...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
prog99, I think the fastest I got on the transfer coach was about 1hr 45, but that's going back before the roadworks started!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, hey - it sounds great!

ps Don't cross the pond just for mediocre piste skiing in -30c temperatures... (lol - i agree - plus i HATE flying...really hate it)

Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
Don't cross the pond just for mediocre piste skiing in -30c temperatures...

Totally agree. You cross the pond for great skiing on and off piste, lower prices for food & drink and many other reasons!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and many other reasons!

yeah....and a numb bum!. I even looked at Beaver Creek which looks GORGEOUS but can you imgaine the US airports at Xmas (with the terror problems at the moment) you can't get there directly either....

so i'd rather just mince into Geneva/whatever for austria and be there within a few hours....flights from edinburgh are a pain too - too expensive even now...

so - ease of travel important!

x
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just been looking round chalet wise at St Anton...

cheapest I can find for two weeks is £1400 per person. Ouch!

Looks like back to the drawing board (or Morzine rolling eyes )

any other suggestions?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen_sheba, well if you will insist on going at Crimbo... Confused

Thing is, it's pretty early in the year, so you don't want to take chances and go somewhere without a good snow record...

Maybe north America wink contrary to my experiences over there in VT & CA it alledgedly doesn't 'suck'

there's some place La Rosaryaryaire or summat that some people like... or maybe Mottaret in the 3v although I doubt they'll be giving away weeks there at Xmas either.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen_sheba, To get to Beaver Creek, the nearest direct flight airport would be Denver, then a 3 hour transfer. It's worth visiting, but I wouldn't stay for 2 weeks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen_sheba, Crystal have lots of chalets in St Anton. We stayed in the Schlosshoff once at half term for around £700, it won't be much different at Christmas. Lovely Chalet too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a great xmas in JH.

Cross the pond - the ski schools, shops, restaurants etc deliver great service even in the holidays. A bad year in a North American resort often = a good year in a European one. A great one in either is brilliant.
latest report
We had a fantastic time in Val Thorens although this may not meet the "not too blustery" criteria. It also depends on the number in your party or the willingness to share a chalet with others (we have always done this and always had a great time). Based on these points I can highly recommend Chalet Catherine and Oliver (Ski Total) which is located right on the piste. (For those who know VT on the RHS as to go up the main drag through the town).
snow report
I went to Zermatt at New Year for a week and it was considerately cheaper than the £1400pp. I got flights to Geneva with Easyjet then booked a really nice apartment right next to the Klein Matterhorn throught the Zermatt tourist office webpage. It was only for 2 people and SC but I had looked at hotels and you could get some really good deals on HB, I only chose an apartment as I prefer a bit more space than you get in a hotel room. With hindsight HB would have been better value as eating out was quite expensive.
snow report
hey there

that's really helpful. thanks

i really loved being away at xmas - my pal did a good deal for our group last time - 525 for 9 days! lol. so thinking a budget of about 1,000 for the two weeks HB or £500-£600 per week (if people only wanna come for one or t'other. st anton is £800 minimum Sad

so my hunt continues. someone mentioned cham as ticking most of my boxes....? bit feardy-cat of the steeper slopes it's supposed to have though.

there was a fab chalet in whistler would have worked out £504 per person per week i think. the rest seem to be pretty much all double beds. as was st anton.

in fact, the only place that matches bedding layout (mainly twins) and decent price and high quality is fecking morzine! lol....

oh well! i don't mind it just makes it harder trying to recruit people.

will look into val thorens as well as meribel...

sarah
x
snow report
queen_sheba, to be honest, Glenshee really does look the best for you guys - maybe Lecht?
latest report
red 27, NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy