Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I move to a longer ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I have been skiing since last year.

I did 1 day last March, and 4 days this January. I'm doing 3 days next month. I've progressed pretty well and I've now developed really good edge control. Where I would struggle a bit on the steep sections of blue runs, I now find these quite easy. Also able to do red runs but not ready for black runs or moguls yet.

I am 5'9" (175cm) and 14 stone. I'm quite well built so my weight will not go down.

I bought my own skis right from the start instead of hiring them. I got these last year:

K2 Comanche 3Com
Length: 167cm
Dimensions: 112/68/97
Radius: 15m

These are aimed at novices to intermediates. I'm looking at getting some new skis end of March/early April when I will get some goods deals, to be used next year.

I really don't care what length they are as long as they are right.

Question is, should I move to a 174cm ski. I've seen a K2 ski with the following specs:

Length: 174cm
Dimensions: 117/70/101
Radius: 16m

Has anyone my weight moved to a 174-ish ski and was it OK? Or should I stick with 167cm?

I know I should demo as many skis as I can but where I go in France there is a lack of demo skis, certainly in the K2 brand I prefer. Plus my skiing time is at a premium as I split my holiday 50/50 with snowboarding NehNeh

I suppose I could demo some indoors at Chill Factor from the Snow and Rock but on such a short run I'm not sure if I could make up my mind.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bikeandsnow, They will be fine. Why throw away good money for a couple of cm's.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the length is more to do with what you want to do. Long and fat skis are favoured by offpiste users. Shorter skis are easier to turn but not as stable and fast as the longer ones.

There is also a trend too. When I started about 9 years ago the carvers were popular to eye level but nowaday it seems to be more common to the nose level. There are of course old parallel skiers or non-carvers higher than their users everywhere in the Alps.

I started with 170cm, went up to 180cm and now settle for 160cm. Shorter ones are much easier for turning.

I therefore fully agreed with Frosty the Snowman after going a full circle to realise spending money to get my top of the range 180cm skis to be a waste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bikeandsnow, the skis you have will be fine for the next 3 or 4 seasons based on your current usage. If you suddenly move the mountains and ski every day, well then you should maybe think of ugrading

BTW I'm 5'9" and have skiied on 165cm twin tips (i.e. 160 effective length at most) for the last 4 seasons, and this season have moved upt to 169cm. I'm only 11st 6lb though

Boots are more important than skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I should have said that I am buying new skis anyway - whether they are the 167's I'm on now or something longer. I want something stiffer as I progress.

Maybe I should consider something a bit wider but the same length as my existing skis:

K2 Recon
Length: 167
Dimensions: 119/78/105 (compared to the Crossfire which is 117/70/101)

Wonder how much harder these would be to get on edge being 10mm wider than my current skis?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NBT - I agree about the boots.

Lasy year I got some Salomon Performa boots, about £65 from Decathlon. Comfy but a bit "vague".

Just got some Salomon Impact 8 boots two weeks ago from Snow & Rock (the Salomon shape suits my foot) and even though I've only used them indoors twice, I can definitely tell the difference. More precise than my old boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bikeandsnow, What is wrong with your existing skis?

If they are aimed at novices to intermediates, they should suit you fine for a few years yet, unless you are going to be skiing a lot more than2-3 weeks per year.

And everything I can find about those skis suggest that they are really aimed at advanced intermediates, not novices.

When you do want new skis, you will find that the length you need will depend on the model of ski and the use you will be putting it to, in addition to your physical characteristics, so there is really no general "one size fits all" answer with modern skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is some progression in a weeks skiing... the Recon is an advanced/experts ski and it will not be so forgiving of mistakes especially as you should be skiing it at 174...

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK

It sounds like I should stick with my skis for the next couple of years. The boots seem to make the biggest improvement anyway.

Thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bikeandsnow, money better spent on lessons maybe? If you're already having those, money better spent on beer & Spag Bol! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Invest the money you were going to spend on skis in private one-to-one lessons instead. Be realistic about your actual ability. You've been skiing a total of 5 days. While the learning curve is extremely steep initially, it's not that steep! New skis will make zero difference to your progress at this stage. They will literally be a total waste of money.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy